• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic still can't handle Nikon Z9 raw files properly

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2-3months now since Adobe provided support to read Nikon Z9 RAW file in Lightroom but the performance been far off from good. The importing of 9 files been very slow compare to other Nikon camera model, it almost double the time just to import files in. Secondly, the noise level at low ISO have been really bad even after noise reduction. The Nikon jpg file seems to have better noise control. I hope Adobe can provide more updates for Nikon Z9 to have more usable files like all the previous models.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Indeed the Lightroom version looks far better with better detail and the noise in the back is easy to fix in five seconds with the detail sliders. This is just a difference in default amount of noise reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe in this part of the forum, we are other Lightroom Classic users, we can't modify how the software behaves. You would be better off posting this in the BUGS portion of the forum, not in the DISCUSSIONS part of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, without detailed information, examples, and reproducible steps, I recommend not posting this in the "Bug" section. There is not enough information to determine that this is a bug. 

Better would be to provide examples of image #'s and exact time to import between 'other Nikon' camera model and the Z9. I suspect we are dealing with a file size issue. 

WRT Noise - examples of what you are seeing would help a great deal. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have experienced the same problem that defaultommy had. If there's a specific email where I can send examples I would be very happy to send it if this could somehow help.
Really the files, once are imported on lightroom, are almost impossible to work compared with nikon jpg from camera or their software. 

I hope this could be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put some of the RAW originals in a file sharing site like DropBox or similar, and then provide us with the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I can send you the link via private message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not me. I don't really want it. @Rikk Flohr: Photography is probably the best person. Unless there are sensitive photos somehow, you can post the link right here. (And if they are sensitive photos, grab your Z9 and take some pictures of the bottle of ketchup in the back of your fridge, and demonstrate the problem on those non-sensitive photos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I looked at your Z9 NEF raw image in LrC 11.2

I'm not seeing unusually large amounts of noise given the image was shot at ISO 3200, and a little noise adjustment slider then creates what I think is a fine usable image. Yes of course even after the noise adjustment, there is still some noise visible at 1:1, but I am not seeing "are almost impossible to work".

Why don't you show us a screen capture at 1:1 of the actual problems you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The RAWs are over-sharpened and the noise is terrible, compared with when you import them into other image processing software. I have found a work-around provided by a photographer in a youtube video. If you create a preset with: sharening set to zero, texture -75, then the raw will look similar to what the same file does when imported into capture one. The full details are here: youtube... This is a Z9 issue only, so hopefully you guys at Adobe will fix it soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Africadunc wrote:

I have the same issue. The RAWs are over-sharpened and the noise is terrible, compared with when you import them into other image processing software. 

Alter the default rendering for NR and sharpness. NONE is applied until you apply it; raw is raw.

When you import initially, you're simply viewing an embedded JPEG created by the camera. This isn't anything like whatever default settings you've asked for on import. So alter them. IF sharpening is set to zero, texture -75 is ideal, that's your new import preset. Simple. Don't expect some default to be ideal. This is why LR provides a means to apply in mass upon import. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that was the case, it would affect all cameras, and would be an issue for Capture One improts as well. This is a specific Z9 + Adobe issue. The video I linked show specifically whats happening. It's a real thing. I'm hoping Adobe will pay attention to customer feedback and work out what is going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Africadunc wrote:

If that was the case, it would affect all cameras, and would be an issue for Capture One improts as well. This is a specific Z9 + Adobe issue. The video I linked show specifically whats happening. It's a real thing. I'm hoping Adobe will pay attention to customer feedback and work out what is going wrong.

Ah no, each camera and each raw converter is unique.

IF you want Adobe to pay attention, you need to provide tangible evidence and understand the role of defaults on any kind of data and how plus no, it isn't ideal for everyone, every capture and every camera. 

You also need to properly file a bug report! 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's good advice, I will file a bug report and see where that goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote below, I extensively tested this with Z9 files and I could not find anything wrong with how Lightroom renders them. Grain and sharpness is exactly as you expect from a 45 MP camera with state-of-the-art sensor out of the box. Completely like you would expect. The jpegs are oversmoothed and lose a lot of detail. That is unfortunately pretty typical nowadays and tools like Lightroom allow you much more freedom in dialing in just he right sharpening and noise reduction. The settings you suggested: sharpening:0, texture:-75 sounds strange to me. Images with those settings will look like a crazy smeared mess. Certainly nothing like that shows up in the raw files I looked at and applying that setting would ruin basically every image except if you want to accomplish a certain (very ugly) effect. Also looked at the youtube video. @digitaldog would probably have a good laugh listening to it as it is pretty clueless. That is unfortunately very common amongst youtubers in this area even when they are accomplished photgraphers. There is a lot of misinformation and myth out there on how this works that just keeps getting repeated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jao vdL wrote:

@digitaldog would probably have a good laugh listening to it as it is pretty clueless. That is unfortunately very common amongst youtubers in this area even when they are accomplished photgraphers. There is a lot of misinformation and myth out there on how this works that just keeps getting repeated.

Please, one cluless video a day is all I can take. I had to watch this nonsense this morning (and no, it isn't a mere 4 minutes of nonsense as promised but 7 minutes of nonesense):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4tQWk2e6E

A lot of misinformation and myth from presubably a photographer who doesn't know what Exposure is sadly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow. Yeah the 'linear profile' insanity. It speaks to a profound misunderstanding of how raw processing works and what profiles actually do but this sort of nonsense thrives on youtube and similar platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm in adobe it looks awful and looks fine in capture one. He is not clueless he is correct. Sure hope adobe fixes it. We should not need to noodle around with settings it should import with default settings and look good. Shame on adobe and it's not cheap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Z7, which also has a very high MP sensor and I don't get the issue with that camera, only the Z9. The video I linked are two long term professional photographers, who have been using Adobe products for decades. They certainly are not clueless, nor are they inclined to make a fuss over nothing. There is no smeared mess when I set sharpening:0 and texture:-75, the images look better. Im not quite sure why you are so quick to dismiss everyone else as wrong or clueless. Its not very helpful in terms of solving the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I'm finding Lightroom problematic, I downloaded a trial of CaptureOne to test the raws.

Top image is imported into CaptureOne, zoomed to 100% then a screenshot of a small area of the photo. The second image is the exact same raw file in Lightroom.  It was very dark and raining in the forest, ISO 12800.

CaptureOne

captureOne Close raw import.jpg

Lightroom

LightRoom Close raw import.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this looks horrible. But again defaults are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed the Lightroom version looks far better with better detail and the noise in the back is easy to fix in five seconds with the detail sliders. This is just a difference in default amount of noise reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that LR Classic 11.2 (with Camera RAW 14.2) treats my RAW files just fine -- but it will not show a decent clear sharp image on my monitor -- whereas when I edit in, say, Topaz Sharpen AI - I see a sharp image before I apply the sharpening model.

Zooming in to 100% in LR sometimes helps - LR "loads" the file and a clearer sharper image emerges. 

I build 1:1 previews and smart previews on all the files I work on -- and then discard them later. 

It is really frustraiting when checking sharpness has been a key part of my image sifting process. 

What is going on LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom works slowly while processing Nikon Z9 images. I have not noticed the noise issue you are talking about but i have went though every trouble shoot possible. As a high volume shooter part of the year i am very concerned about this slowing my workflow down significantly. Prior to this if I had an issue with an update I would just set to a previous version of lightroom classic, however, this is not possible since earlier versions will not reconize the Z9 files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your asking for help yet providing next to no information that can be used as even a starting point. I suggest your start a new thread and provide a more comprehensive explanation of where you're having issues (e.g import, previews, masks, spot/clone, etc). You should also provide details of the OS you're using along with the type and specification of the computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I was responding to the origional posted stating I had issues as well but a little beyond just the importing and that I have not experienced the posters noise issue. I did not ask for help on any part of this message. I unfortunatly read your message as very rude and condesending and rememember now why i do not participate in these forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines