Exit

Lightroom Classic takes 2:28 to start completely

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• LRC Version is 13.5
  • Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900   2.00 GHz
  • Installed RAM    32.0 GB (29.7 GB usable)
  • System type        64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • Pen and touch   No pen or touch input is available for this display
  • Display Adapters: Intel UHD Graphics 770 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
  • Windows 11 Pro, 23H2, OS Build: 22631.4037, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1027.0

• Expected result is that LRC would fully start in less time than my older computer (15 seconds)
  • Actual complete start time is 2 minutes and 28 seconds.

Here is a description of what I observed during that 2:28: 

1. 2-3 seconds: visible is a mostly Gray window, but with title bar, Library, Develop etc. tabs and Splash screen appearing. The app extends across the full height and width of the 49-inch screen (3840x1080).  At lower left, visible are inactive icons for Main Window, second window, Library Grid, Go Back, and Go Forward. An empty filmstrip is visible.
  2. 25 seconds: Splash screen disappears. On the left panel, 16 outlines (probably representing catalogue and folders), some partially hidden, appear and on the right panel a drop-down rectangle appears
  3. 2:28 Seconds: both side panels show normally, Previous photo shows, the Library Tab is active, the bottom filmstrip is shown
  4. The "What's New"  description window shows

[Moved from ‘Bugs’ to ‘Discussions’ by moderator, according to forum rules. A ‘bug’ is not just another word for any problem with software!]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Solution found by Adobe tech support's Alok! My Lightroom now loads completely in 7-8 seconds.

I'll start with the answer, and then fill in the details.

Actual "fix"

On my Windows 11 Pro PC, in C:\Users\ddm44\AppData\Roaming\Adobe, Alok renamed the folder, Lightroom, to LightroomOld and then started Lightroom.

Why this worked

After Alok systematically investigated various areas, he recognized that one or more (I'll call them) personal configuration files that contain info such as Presets I created,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2024 Aug 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

As I see you have buldin a CPU with an internal grpahic processor, try to disabling the processor internal graphic card.Or you're using more than one graphics card in Windows, your high-end card might not be set as the primary card. To disable the lesser of the two cards, use the Device Manager on Windows. In the Device Manager, right-click the card's name and choose Disable.

AxelMatt_0-1723877962715.png

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

Is your system up-to-date? Do you have installed all recent updates and patches for the operating system and the device drivers, especially the graphic driver. Please make also sure that you have installed the Studio version and not the Game Ready version of your NVidia driver.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AxelMatt, thank you for your suggestions.

I had already tried switching off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences. That did cause any differenc ein behavior. However, I'll will repeat that procedure and pay closer attention.

On your second suggestions, I was excited about disabling the processor internal graphic card. I just now tried that. The result was that Lightcroom Classic took even longer to start fully - 2:35 vs 2:28. That makes it sound like the GPU's are at least somewhat involved with this lengthy time issue.

Today was a big family event for me so I didn't get to try anything else yet, but I will try each of your suggestions - likely tomorrow - and I appreciate your offering them. 

I'll let you know what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AxelMatt, I contued apllying your suggestions tonight. Here is a summary of my actions and results.

Test 1

1. I downloaded and installed the NVIDIA studio driver.
  2. I did not reboot
  3. To keep the changes to one variable, I enabled the Intel GPU.
  4. I started Lightroom.
  5. Time from LRC to load completely was the longest yet: 2:48

Test 2

1. The NVIDIA studio driver is installed.
  2. The Intel GPU is enabled
  3. I rebooted
  4. I started Lightroom.
  5. Time from LRC to load completely 2:39, longer than the original 2:28 but shorter than the previous test before the reboot.

Test 3

1. The NVIDIA studio driver is installed.
  2. I disabled the Intel GPU driver.
  3. I rebooted
  4. I started Lightroom.
  5. Time from LRC to load completely 2:48, matching the longest time.

So, conclusions so far indicate that:

1. Disabling the Intel Driver causes the load time to be slightly longer.
  2. Replacing the NVIDIA game ready driver with the studio driver causes the load time to be slightly longer.

I will read your other suggestions and act on them tomorrow. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2024 Aug 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 8/18/2024, 2:42 PM ET

Suggestion: Reset the Lightroom preferences

1. I found two preference files
    • Lightroom Classic CC 7 Startup Preferences.agprefs
    • Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs
  2. I copied each and deleted the originals.
  3. I restarted LRC and received an error message “An error prevented Lightroom Classic from opening the catalog.”
  4. I put back the startup preferences file and LRC started, but it still took 2:28
  5. Surprisingly, the preferences file reappeared with today's date, I guess by LRC, so I decided to reset the preferences using a different method.
    • I saved a copy of the preference file
    • I started LRC
    • I reset the preferences using Shift Alt and clicking
    • Apparently, that caused LRC to be restarted, but since I had other apps open, mostly covering LRC, I didn’t realize that immediately.
    • So I ended LRC and then started it so I could time it.
    • Time was 2:29 so no change.

(My) Suggestion: Disable the NVIDIA GPU

At this point the one GPU environment not tried was disabling the NVIDA GPU and enabling the Intel GPU, so I decided to try that.

1. I enabled the Intel GPU
  2. I disabled the NVIDIA GPU
  3. Windows and text became larger
  4. In the Settings > System > Display sections, Display Resolution is inactive (Grey) and the gray value shown is 3840x1080. I’m not convinced that is the actual resolution.
  5. I started LRC.
  6. Start time was still the original long 2:28.
  7. I rebooted the computer
  8. The screen contents were distorted, stretched wide.
  9. The System > Display window showed that the display resolution was 1024 x 768!
  10. The resolution setting was inactive (grey) and so, could not be changed.
  11. I started LRC.
  12. Start time was still the original long 2:28.
  13. I enabled the NVIDIA GPU. (The Intel GPU is also still enabled.)
  14. The screen resolution returned to 3840 x 1080.
  15. I rebooted and started LRC.
  16. As expected, the start time was still the original long 2:28

Suggestion: Is the system up to date?

Windows and the GPU drivers are up to date

Conclusions so far

1. The Intel GPU is not related to the slow start, disabling it actually slight increases the LRC start time.
  2. In general, the GPU’s appear unrelated to the slow start.
  3. Driver type (Gaming vs. Studio) is not related to the slow start.
  4. Preference file is not related to the slow start.
  5. The versions of the likely relevant software are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut out as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs and it takes up vast amounts of scroll space making the reply less readable and less likely that others will bother with your post.

Also, please post in a reply a screenshot of your LrC /Preferences/Performance/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD, thank you for your help.

Here is the system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.5 [ 202408062022-6258095b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 11 - Business Edition
Version: 11.0.22631
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 32
Processor speed: 1.9GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0.0%
Power Source: Plugged In
Built-in memory: 30370.0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 582.6MB / 12012.0MB (4%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 30370.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1595.2 MB (5.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2200.1 MB
GDI objects count: 717
USER objects count: 2232
Process handles count: 2911
Memory cache size: 890.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.5 [ 1953 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 284MB / 15185MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 285MB / 30370MB (0%)

Cache1:
NT- RAM:0.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, Combined:0.0MB

Cache2:
m:890.0MB, n:0.0MB

U-main: 103.0MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 (31.0.15.5241)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto
Enable HDR in Library: OFF

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: D:\Pictures\Lightroom Catalog\Lightroom Catalog-v13-3.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\ddm44\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Flickr
3) Nikon Tether Plugin
4) Topaz Photo AI

I've attached a screen shot of the LrC /Preferences/Performance/ tab. I couldn't paste it, maybe becasue I disabled the Intel GPU to try to fix this issue (It didn't fix it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of drive and speed is D: ?  Has this drive configuration always been your setup since LrC V13 came out?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KR Seals, the D: (and the C: drive) are 2048 GB Micron 3500 solid state drives.
According to Micron Technology, the 2048 GB Micron 3500 SSD has the following read and write speeds: PCIe Gen4 sequential read (128KB transfer): 7000 MB/s PCIe Gen4 sequential write (128KB transfer): 7000 MB/s 

As to your question "Has this drive configuration always been your setup since LrC V13 came out?", I would say no. I recently purchased a new higher end computer and a 49" ultra wide monitor, ironically to speed up LRC! And that's when I noticed these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basis for my questions was to determine if you might have been running hard drives and not SSD. Those drives and that configuration should be fine. My system drives are setup similar, but with Sansung SSD. One for OS and one for LrC catalog. I'm still on LrC V 13.4 and my startup time with a 2.6GB catalog is 44 seconds. I'm going to test that soon on 13.5 when I have time after I finish the current job.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks KR. I did start with LrC V13.4 and had the same results. Still, I'll be interested in your results with LrC V 13.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my system info in my my sig.

LrC 13.4 2.6GB catalog. Startup time 44 sec.

Lrc 13.5 same catalog. Startup time 45 sec.

No changes from one test to the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, KR. It looks like we can rule out version 3.5 as the cause of the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for the suggestion by @AxelMatt to disable the UHD Graphics.

Adobe applications do not play well with dual GPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from your LrC /Preferences/Performance, an oddity (Camera RAW 11.5 GB);:

GoldingD_0-1723946164001.jpeg

Compared to the GPU VRAM info from your LrC /Help/System Info/:

Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 582.6MB / 12012.0MB (4%)

and the specifications at NVIDIA for that card, stating 12 GB.

So why does the /Preferences/Performance/ show 11.5 GB?

To me, this just makes me think corrupt preferences file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, GoldingD.

Given your conclusion, I renamed and then reset the preference file. After restarting Lightroom, the new preference file still shows 11.5 GB. Maybe 0.5 GB are not available for use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that LrC and Adobe Camera RAW As used in PS) are gathering this information from the same place. However, can you bring up PS, bring up the Preferences, Select the Camera RAW, select the Performance, and show the similar info?

80.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, attached is that window. It indicates 11.5. What is your conclusion about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched, and searched, on that and I cannot find any mention of that oddity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12012 MB is 11.73046875 GB. Maybe LrC rounds that down to 11.5.

I'm wondering if your catalog might be corrupted.

Try creating a new catalog, import a few images, and then relaunch LrC with the new catalog.

Does it now open faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen, thanks for that suggestion. I also wondered if the catalog might be corrupt.

I have some thoughts about this:

1. When I closed LRC, I performed a catalog backup and selected were "Test integrity before backing up" and "Optimize catalog after backing up." In your opinion, would that suggest there is no catalog corruption?
  2. The size of my catalog is close to 1 GB. Would creating a new catalog almost guarantee to decrease the start time because of the huge change in size? (On the old slower system, with this large catalog, LRC loads in 15 seconds.)
  3. If I were to create a new catlog, is there a way to do so without deleting or overwriting the current catalog? I not familiar with creating new catalogs. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen, I decided to create a new catalog by renaming my current catalog folder, start LRC and creating a new "Test" CAtalog. It still took 2:38!

So, something else is at play here.

Do you or anyone know if there is a Lightroom Diagnostic log that reports what Lightroom Classic is doing during start-up? I haven't found anything online, but maybe someone in the community knows? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably time to give Adobe a chat, and in that chat firmly request a Tech Agent call. You may wan to include a link to your Discussion inn the Chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to ask this, well I still will:

Do you have another GPU hog application running?

The  Performance panel displays the name of the available GPU and its available video memory.And is that available on the card, or available from the card?

BUT:

I ran a test, I had LrC up and running, no issues, I added PS, and I added ON1 to the mix. After that the LrC /preferences/performance/ still showed 8 GB (what my GPU has) it had not gone down. However, looking at /Help/System Info/ yes it had.

Ah, but if I do that the other way, Open PS, open ON1, then LrC. /Help/System INFO/ does not show a decrease in VRAM available. very odd.

/Edit/Followup/ I may have embarrassed myself, I may have been looking at the wrong sys info data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge there is no other GPU hog running during these tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines