Exit

Lightroom Classic takes 2:28 to start completely

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• LRC Version is 13.5
  • Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900   2.00 GHz
  • Installed RAM    32.0 GB (29.7 GB usable)
  • System type        64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • Pen and touch   No pen or touch input is available for this display
  • Display Adapters: Intel UHD Graphics 770 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
  • Windows 11 Pro, 23H2, OS Build: 22631.4037, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1027.0

• Expected result is that LRC would fully start in less time than my older computer (15 seconds)
  • Actual complete start time is 2 minutes and 28 seconds.

Here is a description of what I observed during that 2:28: 

1. 2-3 seconds: visible is a mostly Gray window, but with title bar, Library, Develop etc. tabs and Splash screen appearing. The app extends across the full height and width of the 49-inch screen (3840x1080).  At lower left, visible are inactive icons for Main Window, second window, Library Grid, Go Back, and Go Forward. An empty filmstrip is visible.
  2. 25 seconds: Splash screen disappears. On the left panel, 16 outlines (probably representing catalogue and folders), some partially hidden, appear and on the right panel a drop-down rectangle appears
  3. 2:28 Seconds: both side panels show normally, Previous photo shows, the Library Tab is active, the bottom filmstrip is shown
  4. The "What's New"  description window shows

[Moved from ‘Bugs’ to ‘Discussions’ by moderator, according to forum rules. A ‘bug’ is not just another word for any problem with software!]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Solution found by Adobe tech support's Alok! My Lightroom now loads completely in 7-8 seconds.

I'll start with the answer, and then fill in the details.

Actual "fix"

On my Windows 11 Pro PC, in C:\Users\ddm44\AppData\Roaming\Adobe, Alok renamed the folder, Lightroom, to LightroomOld and then started Lightroom.

Why this worked

After Alok systematically investigated various areas, he recognized that one or more (I'll call them) personal configuration files that contain info such as Presets I created,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DenTech444 ,

Glad to hear the issue has been fixed for you. Now is Lightroom back to normal speed, are all operations fast now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DeeGee9229 ,

Glad to hear, it worked for you as well.

For you, just renaming the Lightroom folder worked?

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I only renamed the Lightroom folder and the issue cleared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DeeGee9229,

If you created any presets or installed any Plug-ins, you will find that renamed folder may contain info useful to you.

For example, I had previously installed Topaz Photo AI and as a result it was accessibleble via Lightroom in two ways.

1.  From Photo > Edit In

DenTech444_0-1724937442005.png

2.  And from File > Plug-in Extras

DenTech444_1-1724937563509.png

After renaming the Lightroom folder, those entries no longer existed in the Lightroom app.

To get them back we did the following:

1.  In C:\Users\ddm44\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroomold\External Editor Presets, we copied the contents (one file), TopazPhotoAI.lrtemplate, to the same path in the new Lightroom subfolder. Then we restarted Lightroom.

2.  To get back the Plug-in, Process with Topaz Photo AI, since there was no obvious folder for Plug-ins, we searched the LightroomOld folder for Topaz. That gave us this info:

DenTech444_2-1724938081662.png

3. We then  right clicked on Topaz Photo AI lrPlugin folder entry and selected Open folder location

DenTech444_4-1724938268999.png

4. That showed us that the plug-in info resided in the Modules folder .

DenTech444_5-1724938342287.png

5.  So we copied the Topaz Photo AI lrPlugin folder to the Modules folder in the Lightroom folder and after restarting Lightroom, the Plug-in was again available.

DeeGee, there may be other items in the renamed Lightroom folder that you will need to copy. However, this is the limit of my knowledge, so you'll have to do your own detective work to find any such entries. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@arjunhaarith, as to the performance of Lightroom in other areas, I haven't looked into that yet. However, I expect to investigate that over the next week.

Arjun, thank you and Alok for an excellent support experience. Others should know that you two provided the kind of support users crave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@DenTech444 , Thanks a lot for this encouraging comment. I will definitely convey this to Alok as well.

All in all, we are happy that your issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines