Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic v9.1 color/bit depth issue

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! 

I ran out into some strange problem that no one of my photography friends could help me.

I'll attach a screenshot of it because I don't know how to describ

e it. It looks like the color depth has become lower and I did everything I thought of to fix it but to no avail. 

The issue is present only in Lightroom. If I randnomly edit a photo and export it it's normal.

Things I've tried:
Resseting preferences;

Reinstall Lightroom several times;

Reinstall GPU driver;

Changing bit depth setting in External editing.

Screenshot of the LR preview:Lightroom bug.PNG

Exported file:DSC00747.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

If you calibrated with DisplayCal, this is highly likely a problem with the calibration. DisplayCal is very powerful but it is very easy to make a mistake in its settings and get really bad results like the extreme banding you see. If you are not an expert, you should just download the software from Spyder and use that to calibrate using the Spyder5 Express you mention. DisplayCal can in principle do much higher quality calibration but you really have to know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
Be sure to always view such examples in Develop, at 1:1 or greater. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just calibrated laptop's and external monitors couple of days before that happened... I'm currently looking at it with DisplayCal's disabled color correction and it's still present.

I used a friend's Spyred5Express with DisplayCal. Will have to borrow it again maybe.

Not sure about what Version 2 and Version 4 you reffer to, sorry.

Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm not so familiar with all this stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do the export settings look like?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the settings.Export settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing this in Library or Develop, or in both?

Does viewing at 100% make any difference ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both. 
No difference, just more noticeable at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you calibrated with DisplayCal, this is highly likely a problem with the calibration. DisplayCal is very powerful but it is very easy to make a mistake in its settings and get really bad results like the extreme banding you see. If you are not an expert, you should just download the software from Spyder and use that to calibrate using the Spyder5 Express you mention. DisplayCal can in principle do much higher quality calibration but you really have to know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember the problem wasn't ther even after the calibration. I continued editing couple of days after calibrating. Even if I disable DisplayCal's profile loader the problem is still there. But that compression is available only in Lightroom's Library and Develop, the RAW file opened with Windows Viewer is OK, as well as the exported file. Wouldn't it be there for the RAW in the viewer and the exported if it was from the calibration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Even if I disable DisplayCal's profile loader"

Monitor profile and calibration are not the same thing. They serve different purposes. The profile is written after the calibration is finished. It is a detailed map of the monitor's response in its calibrated state. It's a standard icc profile just like any other icc profile. It doesn't adjust anything, but is used in a standard profile conversion by the application.

Even if he calibration tables aren't loaded into the video card, the monitor profile is still used by the application.

Windows "Photos", on the other hand, doesn't support color management at all. The monitor profile is ignored. Windows "Photos" doesn't even know what a monitor profile is.

And you don't even see the raw file in Windows Photos. You see the jpeg preview that the camera generated and embedded in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't know these things.. Thank you!

Yes, you're right about Windows "Photos", didn't thought about it.

Sorry but I am a bit confused. I borrowed a friend's calibrator but he's in another city and the only solution is for him to send it again. Can I do something in the meantime to solve the problem? It may be a simple task but I really got confused with DisplayCal. Any help will be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both @Jao vdL and @D Fosse!!! I made sRGB 61966-2.1 profile default and the problem is gone! 

Will, however, have to borrow the calibrator again to cailbrate with Spyders' software but at least the problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recalled that I Optimized the catalog. Could it be the problem?

I read that it reduces the file size. But I tried to delete the album and import it second time and the problem persists...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines