• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic won't open on M2 mac - splash screen then closes

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a new MacBook Pro M2 running Ventura 31.2.1. with Lightroom Classic 12.2.1. Lightroom Classic  opens for a few seconds then closes.  I've trashed the pref files, which didn't work.  I've signed out/in and rebooted, which didn't work. I note the "Lightroom Classic CC 7 Startup Preference.agprefs" file (in Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences) seems to update each time I try to open LR Classic.  Tried trashing it, too, with no luck (it creates a new file then closes). I've migrated my catalog and image files and need to reconnect everything, but I cannot seem to do this without actually opening Lighroom Classic. 

Grateful for support.  So frustrated with Lightroom after days of issues; I'm close to completely replacing it.... 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Lightroom Classic forum from Photoshop ecosystem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David28672907qm0g , You stated "I've migrated my catalog and image files and need to reconnect everything, but I cannot seem to do this without actually opening Lighroom Classic.".

Could you explain?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having a similar issue - it goes to the first screen then freezes with the spinning wheel and i get the "application not responding".   It was working a few days ago.  I've spent 2 hours with 2 separate adobe customer support reps remote managing my computer (1 wk old mac studio, M1,  with ventura 13.2.1) to no avail, and also apple customer support weren't able to help.  Next steps that have been suggested are

- sign in with a new adobe account

- reinstall the operating system

- do a factory reset of the computer.

Super frustrating!  The whole reason I bought a mega expensive computer is for photo editing and managment and the computer won't play with the main programme I want to use.

Please let me know if anything works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used Apple's Migration Assistant to migrate the application, then it's possible the licensing files were skipped. Therefore, best you reinstall using the Creative Cloud app as doing so ensures all the necessary components are correctly installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ian. Yes I used Migration Assistant to move to the new Mac. Following your suggestion I've just uninstalled all my Adobe apps, then uninstalled the Creative Cloud app, reinstalled it and also Lightroom Classic.  On opening it did a brief unpackaging dialogue, then the splash screen for 1-2 seconds, then crashed.  

Responding to DdeGannes : I used Migration Assistant to move from my old Intel Mac to the new one.  Image files were migrated via an externall HDD. Copied the catalog and support files into the same folder hierarchy. Perhaps the move from Intel to M2 is the problem?  I can also launch Lightroom Classic by double clicking the catalog file, but it also crashes.  

Grateful for any other suggestions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You write "then crashed"! Did a Crash Alrt/Log appear? If not, then it probably just closed abruptly. Unfortunately, that  doesn't explain what's happening and how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tessa288894707bf6 

If you haven't already done so, then try the procedure described in below Adobe document

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-not-launching-after-splash-screen.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've tried both of those suggestions -- logging out/in and renaming the SLStore and SLCache files.  Neither one works -- Lightroom still crashes on startup.  Grateful for any other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David28672907qm0g  I know, but I addressed my question to @Tessa288894707bf6 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies - I see that now.  Just to be sure, I re-did it all too.... but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So migration assistant, hence the old preference file got copied, and an uninstall reinstall will not have replaced that preference file.

When the splash screen comes up, does it get to the point where it states reading preference file, then perhaps stalls forever or crashes?

Have you considered that the preference file is corrupt. Have you considered resetting it?

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you GoldingD!  The splash screen does say @"Reading preferences" or similar just before closing.  

Thank you for the link: I've tried both a preferences reset on launching LRC and a manual removal of the pref files following the instructions.  Neither one worked unfortunately.  Still unable to get Lightroom Classic to open. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Wanted to add that the following advice from lightroomqueen was unclear: 

"Note on manual removal: You need to remove (delete or move) all the Lightroom Classic and Lightroom 6 (and earlier) .plist / .agprefs files. If you just delete the Lightroom Classic CC 7 file, LR will read preferences from the earlier-version files."

There are many .plist and .agprefs files in the preference folder for adobe apps even through they don't say "lightroom" etc in the name. I have left these alone.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having this problem and have tried everything. Did you ever figure out a solution?!!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines