• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Crashing after Exporting 2-4 photos after updating to Ventura

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Ventura, updated both my MacBook Pro and my Lightroom Classic with the newest updates. I've had nothing, but problems. Within exporting 2 images (one at a time, waiting in between even) Lightroom shut down without notice. I rebooted, it has continued to do this for weeks. Sometimes, it just crashes Lightroom, but most of the time it completely restarts my entire MacBook. These are raw images loaded directly from folders on my hard drive, no external or other software involved.

I've used Lightoom and MacBook pros for over 8 years and never have had this issue.

I've tried the following: clearing space off my hard drive, resetting preferences, removing plugins, switching to an older version of Lightroom Classic (this worked briefly for one photo session, but then started doing the exact same thing), uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom classic, Optimizing the catalog, turning off GPU, restarting in Safe Mode, and possibly something else.

All in all, I've probably had to crash my MacBook (with absolutely nothing other than finder running) about 30 times.

I'm a wedding photographer with some serious deadlines that I'm about to be late on. I can't have this issue for any longer.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restating what you have attempted in a bullet list:

• Clearing space off my hard drive
  • Resetting preferences
  • Removing plugins
  • Switching to an older version of Lightroom Classic
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom classic
  • Optimizing the catalog
  • Turning off GPU
  • Restarting in Safe Mode
  • and possibly something else try a new catalog.

Not listed, and you may consider:

• Log in to your MAC as another user, preferably the Administrator. See what happens
  • Create a new catalog, try that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried a new catalog twice, once on my own and once upon reinstalling it. Neither stopped the issue. This would appear, from other threads here as well as discussions throughout many websites, to be an issue that's happened to several since Ventura. Has that been looked into yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried logging in as another user. It lasted about 20 minutes before crashing again. Luckily, tonight so far, it is only shutting down Lightroom and not restarting my entire Macbook like it has in the last few nights...

Thank you for all the suggestions, though. I appreciate it. Just so frustrated. Lightroom has always been a powerhouse for me. I can normally get into editing mode and really knock out tons of sessions in one day. Now, I'm lucky I can get 50 photos edited in one hour with 2-3 crashes an hour. Which is actually an improvement over last night which was a crash after 2-3 photos exported maximum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility is that your computer is overheating, e.g. because of clogged fan vents. LR export uses the CPU and GPU much more heavily than the typical app, which generates a lot of heat. If the cooling system isn't working properly, the computer will first slow down and then shutdown abruptly to avoid damage.

To see if the computer is overheating, you'll need a temperature-monitoring utility. If you have an Intel Mac, you can download the free Intel Power Gadget:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html 

If you have an Apple Silicon Mac, you'll need a third-party utility, e.g.

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-check-mac-temperature

If you see the temperature spike after starting LR, then most likely there's a problem with the cooling, and you should get it serviced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No temperature spikes or overheating, but thank you for the suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be copied from the LrC Help > System Info menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’ve reviewed the email address you use with this forum and find no crash reports in our system.

Did you see a crash dialog?

Do you use a different email address when filling out the crash report?

Was the crash dialog Adobe’s?  Apple’s?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've received numerous crash reports within one night and have always sent them. Here's a video of one of 8 that I sent Adobe last night. This is the only email that my account is associated with and has been for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the video it looks like you left the Email Address box unchecked. If you can crash again, make sure you check that box in the dialog please. I have no way to pull out your crash reports without it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that tonight when it crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last hour, it's crashed 3 times and I sent all 3 crash reports over. I also watched my CPU temp and it never had any major spikes outside of the norms. I can hear my fans working just fine so that can't be the issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still haven't provided the 'System Info' that I requested above. You can obtain this from the LrC Help > System Info menu item.

Note that we request 'System Info' as it often provides clues as to possible reasons for LrC misbehaving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 12.2 [ 202302032259-eb84d255 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 13
Version: 13.2.1 [22D68]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.9GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,707.5 MB (16.5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 39,184.4 MB
Memory cache size: 404.7MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.2 [ 1381 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 781MB / 8191MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1026MB / 16384MB (6%)
Standard Preview Size: 3360 pixels
Displays: 1) 3360x2100

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 560
Init State: GPU for Display supported by default
User Preference: Off

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/cathleenvanstrien/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/cathleenvanstrien/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Luminar 4
5) Nikon Tether Plugin
6) SkinFiner

Config.lua flags: None

*Nearly all plug-ins have been deactivated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the last couple of third-party plugins. Luminar 4 is not listed as compatible with Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled everything. Starting my night editing so I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also sent multiple crash reports with my email - should be 3-5 of them. Can these be reviewed so that I can find out what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found at least 8 crash reports in the system for you now. Thank you for including your email address in the report. That is the good news. Now for the less good - The crashes are not consistent to a specific issue and essentially are all one-off crashes not necessarily related to one another. Based upon the distribution of crashes across a wide range of areas, I am leaning towards an OS or Hardware issue. 

@Ian Lyons  comments in a subsequent thread are apt here. 

If you've tried:

• A Preference File Reset
  • A Clean Reinstall
  • An Alternate MacOS User ID
  • A test blank catalog

Then I am leaning towards hardware. 

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom. 

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

1. Close Lightroom
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  6. Restart the computer
  7. Launch Lightroom
  8. Wait 5 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it doesn't help but I had this exact same machine until some weeks ago. The MBP i9 but with 32 GB memory but same video card and it worked fine with Ventura and LR12. Blowing its fans of course as the intel machines all do with Lightroom work but zero hard crashes as you describe. I now am on an M1 Max (crazy fast with this stuff) and have sold the i9 machine so can't test anymore but it really does sound like a hardware issue with your machine unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is the only app crashing after an update this is definitivly NOT hardware related!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've disabled all the plugins, cleared all the preset that I don't use, tried multiple new catalogs, and it still crashes lightroom multiple times an editing session. This has literally never happened since Ventura. Is there anything that I can do? I've even tried switching to an older version of Lightroom and that worked briefly for a couple nights, but eventually crashed as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is everything that I tried tonight and STILL am having crashes constantly:

I disabled every single plugin. I attempted to use the OTHER version of Lightroom and it made to to exporting one single photo and crashed (report sent under this email). I used my wife's newer macbook (newer by 3 years and has more and 3 times the available storage) and while hers didn't crash, it did average around 95-101 degrees for temp. She never uses Lightroom so it was a fresh download, latest software, only 200 raw images added to a new gallery, and 0 plugins and with not one single other program running, it STILL overheated her system and remained that hot the entire time. 

I have tried literally everything, but since using Lightroom after installing Ventura - my laptop is being overheated to the point of crashing multiple times a day. The software crashes and then, eventually, it shuts my whole system down. I have used Lightroom for over 12 years and have NEVER had this happen once, but since December, this is a regular problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel based MacBooks will run very hot, especially the 2019 MacBook Pro that you're using. It's actually known issue with that particular model with hundreds of posts on Macrumours and Apple forums. I have one that I've rarely used since getting an M1 Pro based version. That being said, it does run LrC 12.2 on Ventura 13.2.1

If your MacBook worked ok before Ventura update, then it would might be worth downgrading to Monerey. Details of how are set out here https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-downgrade-from-macos-ventura-to-macos-monterey/ 

You mention using your wife's newer MacBook but not the actual model. What model is it (Air, Pro, etc). If it's an Air then high temperatures are the norm with LrC as this model doesn't have any cooling fans. In any case, conflating your issue high temps on your wife's computer is a diversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may just have to downgrade to monterey which worked fine. Of course the fans came on during editing in Monterey, but it never crashed like it has so constantly. 

My wife has a Macbook Pro as well. It's not the M1, but hers is has a faster chip and more storage than mine (purchased new a few years after I purchased mine). Hers runs extremely hot as well when using Lightroom, but doesn't crash the way mine has for the last 2-3 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you run Apple Diagnostics?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines