• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Destination Folder not Writable

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this issue when trying to import my images into Lightroom. The message comes up as "the following files were not imported because they could not be read or the destination folder is not writable. I moved my images from my memory card to my hard drive and it still will not work. Someone please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Please explain what is Not Working.

If you used the File Manager program for your OS to Copy the images from the memory card to a folder on your computer then you should use the Add Option at the top of the Import dialog window. The problem you are having is because the folder you have selected in the Destination area does not have Write permissions for your user name. Even if you copied the images from your memory card to a folder on your drive but then still selected Copy or Move in the Import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop Lightroom​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are trying to move those images to a different folder on your hard drive or another hard drive, you need to check the properties for that drive and folder to make sure you have both read and write capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have all the permissions and still same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what is Not Working.

If you used the File Manager program for your OS to Copy the images from the memory card to a folder on your computer then you should use the Add Option at the top of the Import dialog window. The problem you are having is because the folder you have selected in the Destination area does not have Write permissions for your user name. Even if you copied the images from your memory card to a folder on your drive but then still selected Copy or Move in the Import dialog the Destination folder you have selected doesn't have Write permissions for your user name. Fix that and you will be fine. Or change the Destination to a folder that your user name does have write permissions for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont understand! please help. i keep getting this message when trying to import "Can not move a file to destination folder because it si not writable"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Username does not have the proper permissions on the folder you have selected as the Destination. Either change the permissions on that folder to include your username, and give it full control and or Read & Write permissions (Windows Mac respectively), or select a different folder that your username can write to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u help me step by step please im so confsued

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to the Import dialog box and see what folder is chosen under Destination

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont see anything that reads destination

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its on the right hand side of the Import dialog box

if it's not there, click on Copy

If it still doesn't show up, right click on the words File Handling and select Destination

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see it! Its on Macintosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So mine is on Macintos. What do I do now to change it to my extrernal hard drive. Please answer ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/karim+s  wrote

So mine is on Macintos. What do I do now to change it to my extrernal hard drive. Please answer ASAP

If you have the same problem, there are a number of solutions already given in this thread, please try them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg i figured it out!!! thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you genius, just had this problem and this worked perfectly! thank you 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unistalled lightroom & reinstalled 

Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  Check the destination folder on the top right of your screen.  Mine was copying from a card, and trying to move it to the same card (doh).  As soon as I changed the destination to my user/pic folder, all went swimmingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cannywolf Hi! please please help me! Im having the same exact problem but i cant seem to fix it! ive searched everywhere online! Everytime i try to import photos it says "can not move a file to destination folder because it is not writeable" please help me fix this! I always import and never have had problems, ever since i got a new memory card its been doing this! please help asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means you don't have write permission to the destination folder (or it is somehow otherwise locked).

What is the Destination folder you are using in Lightroom? Please go to the Import dialog box and see what folder is chosen under Destination, and then also what the permissions are set at for this folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u help me step by step pleasE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16347640407878527837225951990008.jpg

 can't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the reply from @JP Hess made earlier in this thread.

Also see the reply from Justshootme made earlier in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the "destination file not writeable" error when importing to LR from my iPhone. When I import from a disk to the same destination folder, photos import just fine. I just can't get photos off my iPhone. I used to be able to but something changed. I even created a new destination folder (again-importing from a DISK worked fine). What is preventing me from importing from my iPhone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce that Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 was released today and contains a fix for this issue. Please update to 8.3.1 and verify that you are no longer seeing the issue. See Keep your Lightroom version up to date

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines