• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is not exporting my images with Noise Reduction (luminance). Why?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2013 May 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not exporting my images with Noise Reduction (luminance). Why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 105 Replies 105
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allan_Olesen wrote:

You are right. I was quoting an old post. Sorry.

No prob.

Allan_Olesen wrote:

Anyway, as far as I can see from the newer posts, you haven't written anywhere that you are now able to reproduce the noise reduction problem.

My previous post stated "I was able to repropduce lost sharpening but not lost NR".

Allan_Olesen wrote:

Further, I strongly disagree that the point is moot.

The point is moot to me.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

My previous post stated "I was able to repropduce lost sharpening but not lost NR".

Yes. I saw that. And since then you haven't written anywhere that you are now able to reproduce the noise reduction problem. So I am right to assume that you still haven't been able to reproduce the problem, right?

If I am right, it is still relevant to know if you haven't been able to reproduce it because you have only tested with photos where the problem would not appear - or because your copy of Lightroom behaves differently from mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tested so it (dropped NR) would be evident, but it wasn't, so Lr not consistent is my conclusion.

PS - Such was also Lee Jay's experience.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric Chan said (regretfully) that it will be "some weeks" before it's fixed, so it's a workaround in Lr5.0 or back to Lr4.X until then (or of course have unsharpened noisy (smaller) photos).

UPDATE:

~~~~~~~

In case this isn't clear: if you prefer a solution that is all Lightroom and no plugins, simply exporting back to catalog at higher rez (thus locking in Nr/Dev-sharpening), then exporting those at desired (reduced) resolution is another way to work around this issue - granted that may not be so simple, due to impact on publish services etc...

~~~~~~~

PS - I continue to be shocked that Adobe hasn't been willing to release a quick fix for this. Although my workaround alleviates satisfactorily, it makes me wonder about Adobe, and worry about the future of Lightroom.

Cheers,

Rob

Message was UPDATED by: Rob Cole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I continue to be shocked that Adobe hasn't been willing to release a quick fix for this. Although my workaround alleviates satisfactorily, it makes me wonder about Adobe, and worry about the future of Lightroom."

Can not agree more 😕

Today I edited a lot of photos with different levels of noise reduction applied. Amazingly there is one photo that after export looked completely shitty, while good in LR. Applied a different level, exported again and no visible change to the first version.

Applied 100 noise reduction AND local brush on the really bad spot, so the photo in LR looks like a big blur, yet after export I get exactly the same result as with the previous two versions: a totally unusable photo.

I can not discover any logic as to when the noise reduction gets dropped.

And... I don´t even crop my photos to less than 1/3... In fact this photo has no cropping at all...

As for the future of Lightroom... I am seriously looking into Darktable now. I am not only disappointed with Adobe, I am actually very angry about it. I feel ignored to the max.

I´ll check your plugin, Rob. Thanks for doing Adobe´s work, you should send them an invoice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron van Middendorp wrote:

And... I don´t even crop my photos to less than 1/3... In fact this photo has no cropping at all...

The problem occurs when exported size (bounding dimension) is less than 1/3 of original dimension (or cropped dimension if cropped) - note the distinction.

Anyway, the plugin does fix the problem, but I agree: Adobe should have been the ones to fix it - grrrr......

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BEWARE: There is a bug in the latest version of ImageMagick's mogrify (6.8.6) - images are coming out untagged, so export as sRGB unless you have an older version (6.7.3 is ok).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several weeks have passed and there is still no fix from Adobe on horizon... I'm starting to think that this will be months not weeks and maybe version 6 will solve all our problems. Adobe must be very confident about its business...

BR,

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pawel Guraj wrote:

still no fix from Adobe on horizon...

It's on the horizon, but won't be a quick-fix (dot-dot release) - it'll be fixed when 5.1 (RC) is out, in a month or two...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

It's on the horizon, but won't be a quick-fix (dot-dot release) - it'll be fixed when 5.1 (RC) is out, in a month or two...

Yes, that's what I meant. For me it's not a close horizon.

BR,Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pawel Guraj wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant. For me it's not a close horizon.

It sounded like you were suggesting it might not be fixed until version 6.

Still, point taken - Adobe is taking too long to fix critical bugs in Lr5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Still, point taken - Adobe is taking too long to fix critical bugs in Lr5."

It just looks like Adobe and all their resources are consumed in ensuring the Cloud is getting priority attention.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

It just looks like Adobe and all their resources are consumed in ensuring the Cloud is getting priority attention.

And, your post advances the topic of this thread how? Got anything useful to contribute? Or, do you just want to piss&moan™. The next rev of LR5 will come when it's ready...yes, the LR engineers are very sorry (and embarassed) that this bug wasn't caught. Shyte happens...they will fix the bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you going after DdeGannes, Jeff? did he say something that wasn't true, something bad about Adobe? - hitting a little too close to home is he - inciting your hyper-defensive intimidation instinct?

Adobe failed to fix (major) bugs reported in the beta, then introduced new (serious) bugs in 5.0, and can't be bothered to fix any of them until (hopefully) Lr5.1 - some people (including me) will believe that only when they see it - Adobe should be ashamed of themselves, and you shouldn't be defending them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

It is truly hard to make sense of what seems like scant attention/priority being given to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no objections to Jeff's comments, I worked in the Corporate world of Banking for over 40 years and learned that the things that get priority attention are decided by the Corporate Heads not the one's that actually carry out the work.

Adobe has made a signiticant change in the way they market the Photoshop Creative Suite product line and the success of this project is critical to their future. So if its necessary to curtail or reduce the pace of further development of Lightroom then that is what will be done. My comment was not intended to be critical of Adobe but to air my thoughts on what's taking place.

Do I believe Adobe is working on the necessary fixes, of course they are and an update will be posted when ready.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

I have no objections to Jeff's comments.

"And, your post advances the topic of this thread how? Got anything useful to contribute? Or, do you just want to piss&moan™."

You don't mind being talked down to like that?

I find it offensive and disrespectful - totally unwarranted.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's actually only bringing more attention to my post. Maybe the LR team is being constrained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'constraint' may be that they are all trying to get face recognition working satisfactorily! Several people have pointed out that some face recognition stuff is already in the 5.0 catalog.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link john.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR 5.2 RC2 is out.

Just tested it. The Noise, sharpening bug is fixed.

br,

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't take as long as we thought it might - shoulda had more faith in Adobe .

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than 1½ months to fix a rather critical (at least in my workflow) bug. And the fix is in the form of an RC, not an official release.

That exceeds my worst expectations. But it is possible that your expectations were even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines