• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is not exporting my images with Noise Reduction (luminance). Why?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2013 May 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not exporting my images with Noise Reduction (luminance). Why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 105 Replies 105
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I was expecting a 5.0.1 quick-fix, then after Eric Chan said "it'll be fixed in next dot release", I was expecting normal release cycle timing, i.e. mid-late August or September. But yes, quicker would have been better...

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

It sounded like you were suggesting it might not be fixed until version 6.

Still, point taken - Adobe is taking too long to fix critical bugs in Lr5.

It was a bit of sarcasm, but with my experience with PSE 8 for Mac it is not completely not possible.

For all those sayng that it is my option to sit silent and wait till Adobe fixes all those nasty bugs - I've already paid for this product although I shouldn't. At least I can expect Adobe to respect that.

BR,

Pawel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in another thread, I've given up on 5.0 and gone back to 4.4. The serious bugs (crashing, exporting, and loss of history with pre2010 images) are so obvious they should have been found in beta testing.  I'll stay with 4.4 until 5.2 comes round and will NOT buy any future releases until they have been shown to be free of serious bugs. Too late to get a refund for 5.0, but I won't get caught again!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

As I said in another thread, I've given up on 5.0 and gone back to 4.4. The serious bugs (crashing, exporting, and loss of history with pre2010 images) are so obvious they should have been found in beta testing.  I'll stay with 4.4 until 5.2 comes round and will NOT buy any future releases until they have been shown to be free of serious bugs. Too late to get a refund for 5.0, but I won't get caught again!

Bob Frost

Well, what a surprise! LR 5.2 is here already with no 5.1 - someone at Adobe is teasing me!  So I'm not converting my main catalog again just yet, but I may set up a test catalog and try 5.2 to see if those serious bugs have really gone for good.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

LR 5.2 is here already (release candidate)

Not for CC members, who will have to wait some more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still get it from here

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom5-2.html

The bug is fixed   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it, and started to install it, then decided to ask Adobe rep whether it was OK to install on same machine where 5.0CC was installed, and he said "No". He seemed to understand English OK, so it made me leary - I guess it would replace my 5.0 CC installation, then when final release on the cloud, I would un-install the non-cloud version, then install the cloud version? - I'm not sure how all that works obviously, but they have different license codes, right? so you can't run one with the license code of the other?? (I mean other than on a trial basis, which would be fine for the RC, as long as it didn't screw up the CC stuff...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR5.2 RC needs no licensing because it's an expiring beta. The LR5.2 RC will overwrite LR5.0, but all you need to do to avoid that is rename the LR5.0 installed version before installing the 5.2 RC. Once the GM of LR5.2 is available (to both subscriptionand perpetual users) you should simply be able to install it. I have no idea what the "Adobe rep" was thinking...but I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Schewe wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

I hope so. I went ahead and installed Lr5.2RC, overwriting Lr5.0CC - hoping for no problems when Lr5.2CC is released.

Adobe: next time, a note in the release doc would be a nice touch - people wonder about this sort of thing, and not just me .

Since your rep also was "unsure" (that's a polite way of saying "probably wrong"), I think I've made my case .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom and the Creative Cloud

Adobe’s recent announcement around our Creative Cloud update has  generated quite a few questions around how it will impact Lightroom 5.   I’ve answered a few of the questions below and please feel free to ask  additional questions in the comments.

Q. How much will Lightroom 5 cost?

A. Lightroom 5 is available for an estimated $149 US.  Customers of  previous versions of Lightroom can upgrade to Lightroom 5 for an  estimated $79 US.

Q. Will Lightroom 5 be included as part of Adobe Creative Cloud?

A. Yes.  Lightroom 5 will be delivered to Creative Cloud members at no extra charge when it’s available.

Q. Will I still be able to purchase Lightroom 5 outside of the Creative Cloud

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will continue to be available as a standalone  product, available for purchase as an Electronic Software Download(ESD)  or as a boxed product with a traditional perpetual license.

Q. Will there be a different version of Lightroom called Lightroom CC?

A. No.

Q. Will there be features of Lightroom 5 that are exclusive to Creative Cloud members?

A. No.

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

Q. Is Lightroom included with a Photoshop CC single-app subscription?

A. Lightroom is available as stand-alone purchase, and through the  full Creative Cloud package. Lightroom is not included with a Photoshop  CC single-app membership.

Maybe this post in the Lightroom Journal will clarify the issue.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again DdeGannes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more Info. See the attached screen shot.

First image exported from raw file at full resolution. Jpeg file resized in Photoshop Elements using "bicubic sharper" to 900 pix. Second image exported from LR 5 at 900 pix long side sharpening for screen standard.

Third image exported from Lr using Mogrify to do the resize and sharpening. I am not seeing any problem as indicated in the thread.

Image00169.jpg

Links to files.

http://g4.img-dpreview.com/E0FA631E67C146CD8CA83014DCF002E7.jpg

http://g1.img-dpreview.com/0AFAAECD723B4AC09264E174D5E43528.jpg

http://g2.img-dpreview.com/43A8E11140844D70A5EB8AB6B40E5B98.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

Second image exported from LR 5 at 900 pix long side sharpening for screen standard.

They look about the same to me.

I thought the middle one was supposed to be noisy (it does not look noisy to me), due to this bug - or does it not always bite? or is this a clean original? (I'm getting confused, again).

Also, it's hard to be sure whether the middle one had Lr's develop sharpening applied or not (I thought it wouldn't be applied, due to this bug...), since output sharpening could have compensated (again: I'm confused).

Can anybody help me interpret?

For future reference - comparison is facilitated by having no compensatory sharpening in the pipeline. Still, there was not compensatory noise reduction, yet it looks noise-free to me - thus my ongoing confustion...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is taken at ISO 400 so there is not much noise. See the screen shot for the detail panel adjustments. I think they are being applied in each of the exports.

Image00171.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

I think they are being applied in each of the exports.

So, conclusion: contrary to what I think I remember hearing (that this bug bites all users equally, all the time), you're finding this bug not biting at all in this case. Have you ever had it bite?

Of have I totally misunderstood??

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure, maybe the export sharpening (screen standard) that is being applied (which I believe is sort of smart sharpening) is hiding the effects / non application of the develop sharpening!???

I just did an export with the export sharpening off and the resulting export is less sharp.

My thoughts are that if Eric Chan says there is a problem then its needs to be fixed.

I do not normally apply a lot of sharpening to my files so maybe it is not easily visably on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!... Not sure if anyone has had any luck with the NR .. I'm on Lightroom 5.5 (CC) and the NR is still not working on export! I knew about this issue when they first released LR 5 however I thought they would of fixed it by now... and it seems they haven't!  Where can we Voice  our concerns to adobe? I'll probably go back to LR4 until they fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I upgraded to 5.6, but the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post 1:1 (100% zoom) screenshots of Develop and Exported images as well as the raw and exported JPG that demonstrate the issue for you so others (and Adobe) can try to reproduce what you’re seeing? Use something like http://www.dropbox.com/ to host the files and post a public download link to them, here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got what was happening. It was the "fit" view issue for high ISO, extremely high noise reduction images that was being discussed on another thread. Comparing with 1:1 of Develop and exported image look alike. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue, I first noticed it when processing images id taken of the Milky Way with a lot of ISO noise, id reduced it considerably with luminace smoothing. However when you switch to library module the luminace smoothing edit is not apparent AND when you export the image to a jpeg the lumincance edit has not been applied.

Very annoying, I'll post screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok repoducing screen shots is harder than i thought because its compressing the images too much, But the problem is still happening, and... while switching between the develop module and library module you can actually see the transition in the image isn't applying the luminance effect/edit.

Capture2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78133179@N07/14659392158/in/photostream/

Capture3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots should either be pasted directly into the forum-message edit box on the webversion of the forum or PNGs at the original screen resolution added to the web version of the forum message using the little camera icon up above where you type in the message text..

The Flickr photo-sharing links show JPG artifacts at the highest-resolution available, so clearly aren’t the original screenshots nor full-resolution and cannot be used to compare NR differences.

In general, NR should be judged at 1:1 (100%) zoom only.  Anything less than that will be subject to whatever the quick-resampling algorithm is for the photoviewer you’re using. LR’s Fit and Fill views are not particularly accurate and are built for speed and should be used for judging overall toning, not whether NR and sharpening are working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in LR 5.6... please check the screenshot attached... the picture on the right is the one I see in develop the one the left is the jpg exported.

Screenshot at Oct 13 21-40-33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read up on what you can and can not expect, and how to properly evaluate..?

Without accompanying information (like zoom ratio, for starters..), the screenshots aren't enough.

Most of us are having noise reduction applied to exported photos. If you aren't, then you'll need to supply a lot more information if you want real help, which we may still not be able to give if you are hitting a bug - but even then: Adobe would appreciate the info.

Maybe ssprengel or another forumer will work with you to help figure out what's going on in your case..

PS - Is there a link we can provide with comprehensive and well-organized information for when people are having problems such as this one? It's come up about a zillion times and I'm worn out trying to help.

Good luck,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines