Exit

Lightroom LR4 - Silly RAM usage!!

Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm stunned at the amount of RAM usage by LIghtroom. I have 6Gb of RAM using LR4 in 64 bit win7.

This is what happened when I opened lightroom to edit a shoot of jpgs, all of which were only about 3mb each ( I wasn't even editing 30Mb RAW files from my DSLRs )

figures from task manager/performance pane:
No Lightroom

0.99 GB

Launch Lightroom and cat

1.53 GB

select next pic

2.00 Gb

select next pic (no editing yet )

2.20 GB

after editing two pics

3.13 GB

editing the 2nd pic in Nik Software Silver Efex pro 2 ( edit copy with lightroom adjustments ) and returning to lightroom

2.85 GB

but ....

Very soon, after only a few pics, the RAM usage is up to 5.5GB

This seems very disproportionate. Why for example would simply selecting another 3mb jpg eat up another 200Mb of RAM? And why after only a bit of editing on this 3mb pic in the develop module eat up another 900Mb of RAM?

The other highly annoying issue is that once Lightroom has decided to eat up nearly all my available RAM after editing only a few 3mb JPGs, things slow down rapidly. selecting another pic means everything locks up while their is vicious disk activity ( presumably swapping to swap file because Lightroom needs another 200Mb of ram for just one 3mb JPG )

it's not much fun having to quit LR every few images just to 'reset' thje amount of RAM.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

OK, seem to be getting somewhere now

As stated in the OP I work in 64 bit Win 7. I have a win 7 32 bitpartition on the same machine I use for various things and also for testing Lightroom updates without upsetting my main LR work partition.

Earlier tonight I isntalled 4.1RC2 on my win 7 32 bit partition and ahve been working on a shoot. Interestingly the RAN usage seems much better managed. Instead of progressviely creeping up to a point of ARRGHHH!!!, with RC2 memory is released when switching i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jsakhtar wrote:

Windows 7 will on its own fill all available RAM with cached disk data. You can learn more here:  http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/behind-the-windows-7-mem ory-usage-scaremongering.ars and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-vista-superfetch-and-ready boostanalyzed,1532.html

What you really want to watch for is PAGING and . That is all that really matters. You would need to enable the column in the task manager called "Page Faults", and see where those are occuring.

Also, you should disable your virus scanner (like MS Security Essentials) for all your raw file types, the directories that contain your raw files, and the lightroom process itself.

You can get actual data from Lightroom itself Help|System Info, which will give you more useful information:

Lightroom version: 4.1 RC [820174]

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Physical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 6135.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 6135.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 270.3 MB (4.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 261.1 MB

Memory cache size: 138.1 MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Sorry for my ignorance - how do you enable all built in memory available to LR? I have 3.25 GB RAM but only 716.8 MB real memory is available to LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move to 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course are you advising buying an infinite amount of memory in addition to the new hardware to deal with a software bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață wrote:

Move to 64 bit.

Please read the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this behaviour too and periodically have to restart Lightroom to get the process' committed memory back down tom something sensible.   In my case on Vista.  I suspect that something in particular triggers the behaviour because I don't see it every time I use Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coffeefrog wrote:

I've seen this behaviour too and periodically have to restart Lightroom to get the process' committed memory back down tom something sensible.   In my case on Vista.  I suspect that something in particular triggers the behaviour because I don't see it every time I use Lightroom. 

Yes I have to keep restarting after a few image edits to bring the memory usage back down. Most annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same problem ever since moving to LR4. The RAM usage sucks and especially if you are trying to use any Nik plugins.  LR4 just goes out to never never land for no reason on my Win7 32 bit machine. I taken all unnecessary files out of startup and still get poor performance. I love LR4's Basic controls but I'm almost ready to go back to LR3 for faster performance and editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 is a waste of my money ... It is so slow!! ... keep getting a message cannot export image ... I even tried LR 4.1 RC but still the same ... hasn't Adobe done any QC before shipping the product??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, seem to be getting somewhere now

As stated in the OP I work in 64 bit Win 7. I have a win 7 32 bitpartition on the same machine I use for various things and also for testing Lightroom updates without upsetting my main LR work partition.

Earlier tonight I isntalled 4.1RC2 on my win 7 32 bit partition and ahve been working on a shoot. Interestingly the RAN usage seems much better managed. Instead of progressviely creeping up to a point of ARRGHHH!!!, with RC2 memory is released when switching images. Great news!!   Now bearing mind I still need to stest this in my 64 bit martition and I will isntall RC2 once confident it wont' fall right over, but positive os far.

ALSO, which I've just started testing is the negative cache disablement as described by Adfoibe Employee  Julie Kmoch here

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_extremely_slow

who said:

Here's an update on what changed in RC2 relative to Develop performance.

For starters, in RC1 we experimented with turning off sharpening while sliders were moving. We got a fair amount of negative feedback on that, and have reverted that behavior. Instead, we moved more of the rendering to a background thread, which keeps the sliders moving smoothly. One caveat with the behavior in RC2 is that those background renders can pile up if you're moving fast. The final 4.1 release will do a better job of trimming these when possible.

I worked with a number of you who volunteered to try an experiment a couple weeks ago that turned off something we call negative caching. The results were mixed; a couple people said it was a clear improvement, others didn't see a benefit. But I'll offer it here in case it helps others who find performance starts out reasonably then suddenly, consistently goes south until a restart.

What the following will do is turn off a cache which saves some of your most recent work done in Develop such that if you revisit a recently touched image, it loads faster. However, if our calculations are off, this cache can sometimes get too big and cause ACR to use virtual memory instead of RAM.

To try it:

1. Create a text file called “config.lua” and put the following line in it: AgNegativeCache.enabled = false

2. Launch Lightroom, go to the Preferences dialog, Presets tab, and hit “Show Lightroom Presets Folder”.

3. Close the Preferences dialog, quit Lightroom.

4. Drop the attached config.lua file into the Lightroom folder that was opened in step 2 (do not put it in one of the preset subfolders). So the path to the file will look like this:

Mac: /Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/config.lua

Win:  C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\config.lua

You’ll know this switch to turn the cache off is working if you see the “Loading...” symbol even when you revisit the previously edited image in Develop. (When caching is on, you can often revisit a recently edited photo without the Loading warning showing.)

I'll report back laters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John

Thanks

I tried successfully your negative caching steps.  So far there has been a very decided improvement.  Since each of my raws are 24+ mps every time I touched one I would watch the ram usage climb in task manager/ process/ lightroom.  If I worked on the image using the adjustment tools every stroke increased the ram usage.  I was often well in excess of 6 gb and then if I round tripped to PS for my Nik filters or any other addtional adjustment PS also wouldn't release memory.  As others have complained LR would either freeze for a period of time or become extremely slow.  While I haven't figured out how to release the PS ram your negative caching has help immensely in LR.

Question - why on earth isn't this part of the code?

Do you know a way to release the same memory problems in CS5?

Thanks

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details re negative caching - it has worked a treat - seems like a totally different piece of software now - I don't have to restart LR after editing 3-4 images! It had an earth-shattering effect ...... Lightroom started to run fast, and then immediately I then had to endure a 7.0 earthquake!!

I also saw this post ....http://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/162752-help-lightroom-4-1-slow-performance-problems.h... which discusses the issue of corrupted preference files and offers a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

I tried the negative cache lua file, and so far as I can tell, it has evened out the performance. I don't seem to be getting a slowdown when doing spot, brush, grads etc.

My normal raw file is from a D90 and I even tried messing with a D800 NEF I'd downloaded. Although it was slower (I've just got a dual core 2.6ghz with 8gb ram) it went acceptably.

How on earth did you find out about that fix?

Interestingly (or not, I suppose it depends on your level of interest), i was looking at the Windows performance monitor and I saw that the CPU went to about 50% even when I was simply moving the cursor around the image. That was the same with any size nef file.

My memory has remained fairly stable (I believe some have seen what appears to be memory leak behaviour).

I'd tried all other fixes offered in the forum.

with thanks,

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines