• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom - Nikon - Tethering

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For approx 15 years this issue has been happening with each Adobe Lightroom update and/or Mac OS update: Nikon (I have a D850) tethering ceases with updates. Seems best to not update until problem is addressed or best to use Capture One, etc..  I don't understand why these companies and services we pay for won't and don't anticipate these issues, and work together to make sure it doesn't happen each and every time, hence it does happen each and every time. It's quite frustrating when one's livelihood is compromised and undermined because of these failings, and because of a lack of simple and friendly collaboration between Adobe and Apple. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem with my d850! And cant find a solution or someone that could help my solve it. Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to downgrade to Monterey, if you're using a Mac. I am just not sure which version of Lightroom to install for use with Monterey to get optimal tethering that rarely fails and actually works ;0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using macOS Ventura, see https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html

Known Issues on macOS Ventura

Issue

Workaround

Tethering with Nikon cameras fails on macOS Ventura.

We are aware of this issue and working on a fix in the future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for the reply, IAN! Do you know which LR Classic version is best for optimum use with Monterey? Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget Nikon -- they're at least as culpable as Adobe and Apple. LR uses the Nikon SDK for tethering to their cameras, and Nikon is usually very slow in supporting a new version of Mac OS, waiting for weeks or months after the release of Mac OS to release a compatible SDK. Then it can take Adobe a couple months to test and include the new SDK in the next release of LR.  

A new version of the SDK was released on 12/7/2022, and the release notes say:

"Add support macOS 12 (Monterey) and ended support macOS 10.14 (Mojave).
Note: These modules run under Rosetta 2 on the Apple Silicon CPU."

Support for Mac OS 12 was just added -- typo?  Native support for Apple Silicon still isn't available two years after it came out.

Good luck in finding a public Nikon-operated forum to complain to them.

(Note that Capture One apparently doesn't rely on the Nikon SDK, instead implementing its own access to the cameras. This could be one reason Capture One is more expensive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for the reply, JohnRellis! Do you know which LR version is best for optimum use with Monterey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At John, it's my opinion that Nikon is not making any effort to assist Adobe in providing tether capture for their cameras. Nikon provides there own tethering application, however it is not free and assisting Adobe is viewed as a threat to their marketing of their own software.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to prevent that from happening is to NEVER update the application nor OS until you have watched this forum for weeks and can be sure that the update/upgrade will not negatively affect your operation.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for the reply, Kenneth! Do you happen know which LR version is best for optimum use with Monterey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will test that with my D850 and MBP M1 Max Montery latest version this afternoon and let you know.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic V 12.1 works fine with Montery V 12.6 for tethering to my Nikon D850. Initially when I connect the camera to the MBP, Lightroom Classic says it has to start under Rosetta. I say OK and when it restarts, the tethering works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're darling, KRSeals! Thank you kindly!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do that from now🙃 Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, @KR Seals - do you think it's safe to update LR to 12.1 or do you think that will disrupt tethering? I guess the answer is for me to just test it out.

I know for sure I can't update Mac OS without major problems, rending LR nearly useless ;0) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NikonLRTetherPls , what version of LrC and macOS are you using?

For sure if you update to macOS 13 Ventura tether capture for your Nikon cameras will not work.

If it's working for you now then my recommendation would be to wait until Adobe Confirms Tether for Nikon is working.

Nikon users running Monterey and LrC 12.1 may have other recommendations.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks@DdeGanne! I'll keep things as they are. You know how Adobe keeps suggesting updating LR, etc. Bothersome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

for some camera models Nikon NX Tether software will work, but only the latest models are supported (The Z 9, Z 7II, Z 7, Z 6II, Z 6, Z 5, Z fc, Z 50, Z 30, D6, and D780, V1.0.3) according to Nikon.

Does anyone had the opportunity to run Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 on a Ventura based Mac, eg. a M1Pro? Results for Z models and D models (older and the latest ones)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally did a test with latest LrC 12.2.1 and Ventura 13.2.1 with my Z7ii, seems to work fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I need to run my business and Nikon Z9 and Lightroom are not talking. I am leaving the  Adobe camp for Capture One unfortunatly. I have been waiting for a year now. Not even a conversation from Adobe or Nikon that I have seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering works just fine with Monterey. It is just unfortunate that this happens with each update. Ppl say it's Nikon being slow/SDK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a question since you have experience with it. I've never had any issues with tethering with my two D850s over the past few years, after updates. However, under Windows. There were other reasons why I used to have to use Windows. I am currently using a Mac with Ventura 13.1 and tethering no longer works since the update from 12. what is your assessment How long does it usually take for something like this to be resolved by Apple and Adobe? I'm a professional photographer. THANK YOU from Austria!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How long does it usually take for something like this to be resolved by Apple and Adobe?"

...and, most importantly, Nikon.  See this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-nikon-tethering/m-p/13480136#...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is bizarre: the (original) thread started in october 21th and until today, january 26th, there is no solution for the problem. Nikon support is unbelievable. Migrating to Canon asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines