• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom slow on Mac Studio (Again... But I can't understand)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I know this question is asked over and over but, seriously, this is the only app that still not snappy on that machine... This is really disapointing, you can't scroll thu images fluidly, there is always that half second between each images... And full screen it's horrible ! Sooo laggy !! More than a second between each images !

Why ??

I'm not talking about petapixel images, It's from Canon R6.

Config : Mac Studio M1 Max 32Go.

Fresh install with newest Lightroom version, GPU Acceleration is on, cache is set to 70Go.

Any ideas ?

Is it definitively a wrong optimisation ?

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, performance can be abysmal if additional monitors are connected, even they're not in use by LrC. The fact that 'System Info' lists them means that they're switched on and LrC will use them at single mouse click. It gets worse in so far as the size of standard-sized previews is dictated by the higest resolution display, even if it's not used by LrC (see attached screenshot for my system). My primary display is a 2.5K (2560 by 1600 px display) and the secondary display, which I very rarely use, is 4K that is set to scale a 1920 by 1080 px. So, even though LrC is not using the 4K display, 'it' will force the previews to be rebuilt at 3840 by 2160px every time I switch to the Libary. I bugged that years back and nothing was ever done to fix it.

BTW, I have an internal bug for this going back many (too many) months, and there's thread in the Bugs forum referenced to it.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i tried disconnect two other monitors.. No luck! Problem exist even if i change lower resolution. Maybe is 1 or 2s faster but anyway it's pain to work when switching images in develop module. There is some bug, because some versions before lightroom works great on my machine! How to downgrade to older version in CC app?

I attached some of system screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 01.38.11.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 01.38.16.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 01.55.48.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 01.55.58.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 01.57.10.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 02.03.53.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 02.04.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i think i found problem, in my CPU screenshot there is hewy process called "mds_stores" - it's Spotlight search process. I disable spotlight indexing in all my drives, and now it's working much, much better.I think it's because i checked to save LR edits info in xml file for each photo, that way spotlight indexing my hard drive every time when some changes was made. I will test again when edit my next photoshoot and report it here.. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yeah mds_stores can indeed tie up the whole machine. It will only do this when it is indexing the whole machine. It should not impact you afterwards even when you have xmp sidecar writing enabled. It will also do this if your machine has recently crashed. After that it will reindex the whole machine but in normal use you should not have it go nuts like this. The remedy is usually to let it just finish indexing after updating the OS or if your machine (hopefully very rare) crashed. You can also simply exclude the folder or disks you are using for image storage and your catalogs from indexing instead of turning the whole thing off. It does serve a very useful function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines