• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom sync pulling incorrect smart previews

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to sync a new catalog to my cloud-based Lightroom library. For some reason, some images are being pulled incorrectly and are being added from a different file with the same filename. Is there a way to fix this easily, or will I have to manually rename every file?

It seems to be creating new files for all the images it's pulling from the cloud, when I don't need it to do that; all the correct files are already on my computer. And because of the files with the same name, I think that's where it's getting confused as it's putting them all in the same folder as one image instead of the two separate images, with the same file name, as it should be. All the files with the same names are obviously in different folders and haven't caused any issues until now.

Is there a way to make it so when I sync, it still uses the original file location? I was hoping to have a year for each catalog, and re-sync my cloud based library to each new catalog each year. But if it will confuse files like this when I sync with cloud-based Lr, I'm not sure that's even entirely possible? I tried to add folders manually but it doesn't let me add them without importing images, and I don't want to import all the images - just tell it where to pull the synced images from.

I'm not sure I've explained it very well, but TLDR; I'm syncing Lr to Lr Classic and it's essentially merging two files with the same names into one. I need the separate images, synced, with the actual files kept in the original folders. I hope someone can make some sense of this and help me out.

Screenshots - 1 shows the incorrect image in the collection. It's from another image in the cloud library with the same filename.

2 shows the image it's taken it from.

3 shows the image it should be.

4 shows the image that's been duplicated into the mobile downloads folder created by Lr Classic when I tried to sync.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding it difficult following the logic of what it is you are attempting to do. However, I will point out to you that it is only possible to link a single catalog from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom. You need to organize images within that one catalog into collections by subject or year or whatever category makes sense to you because those collections will become outcomes in Lightroom cloudy. It is possible to further segregate images into other albums in Lightroom cloudy. But, as I have indicated, you can only synchronize from a single Lightroom Classic catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to explain it in a way that's concise, haha. I know it's only possible for one catalog to be synced to the cloud at a time.

Let me try again... I would like a catalog per year, in Lr Classic. 2022, 2021, 2020 etc etc. then for each year, I will have the relevant collections and collection sets as needed, NOT synced to the cloud. The only catalog I'd want synced to the cloud is the current year; so now 2022. I am trying to implement this into the 2022 catalog I've created, but I've run into the problem of it pulling the wrong files, as shown in the example in the screenshots I provided, wherein lies the problem. 

So when the new year comes round, 2023, I'd want to stop syncing my 2022 catalog and sync my new 2023 catalog instead. But if this issue will crop up every time, I think I may be best just using a single catalog to avoid the hassle; which I didn't really want to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic can only sync one single catalog, and if you change the catalog that is synced, then Lightroom Classic will download everything that is in the cloud already, as a new original. In other words: if you enable sync of your 2022 catalog, then all photos that are already in the cloud because they were synced from your 2021 catalog, will download into your 2022 catalog as new photos.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure this out? I'm actually having a similar problem.  I change my catalog every year and the previous years cloud photos smart prevews sync into the new catalong.  Now, someo of the smart previews are getting mixed up and appearing in the wrong collections. The metadata for them is correct coresponding to the preview that "should" be there but the actual image is wrong.  I brought this attention to adobe and after weeks of having techs log in and delete and recreate and mess around in my catalogs, their answer was... start over and let us know. Well I did that, rebuilt the collections reimported everything from scratch and resent client collections over the course of months... and it's happening again. Not sure what the disconnct is but it's really frustrating. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I change my catalog every year and the previous years cloud photos smart previews sync into the new catalog."

That's how it works! Unfortunately.

As @JohanElzenga says- "Lightroom Classic can only sync one single catalog"

When  you change to a different Catalog in Lightroom-Classic, EVERYTHING in the Cloud will download once again to the 'new' current active Catalog.

The answer (at the moment) with LrC is to have one catalog and only one catalog. If that is not doable, then 'Adobe Cloud Sync to the Lightroom ecosystem' may not be the best method of presenting images to clients.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I understand that it will all download again in the "From lightroom" section. I guess my issue is different. The problem I'm having is that LR keeps changing the smart previews so they appear in the wrong collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines