Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom tells me I need Windows update to use Enhance Details

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to use the new Enhance Details feature of Lightroom CC Classic, and it tells me I need to run Windows 10 version of 10/10/2018. I running Windows 10 64-bit, build 1803, installed 12/7/2018. This should be sufficient, right?

Thanks!

Pete

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

androphilia  wrote

Hi,

I'm trying to use the new Enhance Details feature of Lightroom CC Classic, and it tells me I need to run Windows 10 version of 10/10/2018. I running Windows 10 64-bit, build 1803, installed 12/7/2018. This should be sufficient, right?

Not sufficient. You need build 1809

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

androphilia  wrote

Hi,

Not sufficient. You need build 1809

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, I tried to update Windows before I posted my question and it said I'm up to date. Do you know how I can forced it to get 1809 or later?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well, the Update Assistant seems to be downloading. Not sure why the Check for Updates didn't find it. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

androphilia  wrote

Not sure why the Check for Updates didn't find it.    

Microsoft has had a lot of trouble with the 1809 update. They released it in Oct 2018 then stopped quickly after major bugs were discovered.

A phased rollout began again in Jan 2019 - but only to machine configurations that Microsoft's AI determines can handle the update without issues. Some people get it automatically via Windows Update and some don't. Net result is market confusion.

Microsoft starts its 'phased rollout' of Win10 1809, now controlled by a next-generation machine-lea...

Unfortunately Adobe's Enhance Details feature relies on 1809 being installed so Adobe gets unwarranted blame for faulty software when Enhance Details will not work. Many Windows users come to the Adobe forums adamant that they are up to date when they do not realise that the Windows 10 1809 update has not been installed by Check for Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turned out my issue was that Windows Update had repeatedly tried to update to 1809 unattended, but always got a BSOD and rolled back, so I was none the wiser about it trying.

It was only when I tried to upgrade manually with the tool that I saw this happen. It seemed to be a USB driver issue, so I powered down, unplugged all my USB devices and tried again. That time it worked!

But now when I try Enhance Details in LR, the "enhanced" view is nowt but black!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had updated to W10 v.1809. I hadn't. It was only after 3 more tries today and finally deciding to turn of the anti-virus software that the actual 1809 installed. This however, has not helped Enhance Details to work (see other thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This however, has not helped Enhance Details to work (see other thread).

Here?

Enhance Details - Preview Window "Spinning", No DNG Created

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the complaint should state that. My system is "up to date" according to itself, and yet is not adequately current. And

Another brilliant roll-out of an update. Another bang-up job by Adobe.

Do they not have any humans test this stuff?

A new update tool (for 1809, which only just became cooked, for crying out loud) can be found at

Download Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you blaming Adobe for a Microsoft issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, don't rely on someone else without properly documenting said dependency, including information about how to acquire the requisite? And why doesn't the Mac version require a Windows update? Huh? Don't the MacOS users of LR get this feature? If so, why is a Windows update required?

There's illogic and a disconnect here. Adobe could manage this a lot better. That's why we blame Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why doesn't the Mac version require a Windows update? Huh? Don't the MacOS users of LR get this feature? If so, why is a Windows update required?

Windows updates are not required for Macs.

Windows update 1809 is required for Windows machines. That's the version where Win ML (machine learning) was introduced.

For the Enhance Details feature to work, Macs required macOS 10.13+ (High Sierra or Mojave) where Apple Core ML was introduced.

Enhance Details | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is like blaming lemons for pain in teeth due to oranges..This is an microsoft issue..Adobe has nothing to do with it.I think u should post this query in microsoft forum,u will get an appropriate help there.Regards dqfansurvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Adobe Lightroom is informing you that you need a Windows update to use the Enhance Details feature, it means that your current version of Windows may not have the necessary components or updates required to enable that specific feature in Lightroom. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check for Windows Updates: Open the Windows Update settings on your computer and check for any available updates. Install any pending updates and make sure your Windows operating system is up to date. Restart your computer if prompted.

2. Verify Lightroom Version: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Adobe Lightroom. Open Lightroom and navigate to the Help or About section to check for updates. If an update is available, download and install it. Restart Lightroom if necessary.

3. Clear Lightroom Cache: Sometimes, clearing the Lightroom cache can help resolve issues. In Lightroom, go to the Preferences or Settings menu and find the option to clear the cache. Clear the cache and relaunch Lightroom.

4. Disable Graphics Processor: Temporarily disable the graphics processor in Lightroom to see if it resolves the issue. In Lightroom, go to the Preferences or Settings menu, navigate to the Performance tab, and uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" option. Restart Lightroom and check if the Enhance Details feature is accessible.

5. Contact Adobe Support: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it's advisable to reach out to Adobe Support directly. They can provide further assistance and guidance specific to your situation. Visit the Adobe Support website or look for contact options within the Lightroom application.

By following these steps, you should be able to address the issue and use the Enhance Details feature in Adobe Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines