Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom very slow and sluggish :-(

Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not sure why lightroom gets so slow for me when im using it

my computer is a proteus IV laptop, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 1060GTX 6gb, i have a 2TB hybrid drive (with the photos on it) and a 512 SSD C drive and 4.1 Ghz processor (when overclocked) the native GHZ is 3. something. i think its fast enough

when im editing photos , after a certain while it begins to slow down and get unbearably slow, to the point where its taking like 5 or even 10 seconds to update when i apply a setting,   this begins to feel discouraging after a while and i start to get frustrated and my work suffers.

currently im editing 300 photos that i took last night on 3 different jobs

any ideas?   do i need to  do something  on my end?  or is this a bug or what?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR runs extremely slow on all 3 of the computers I use it on. 1 older Win PC's, 1 top notch Win PC's, and 1 MacBook from 2016.

Faster on the MacBook as they have better team of developers in Adobe, but still slow.

So you know not of what you speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing RAW photos res 6000x4000, camera Canon EOS 750D, using Lightroom for 4 yrs now. Approx. 2 months ago I bought a new computer, went from workstation to PC mainly because rendering and editing issues - work performance. Bought myself a decent PC which should eat Lightroom easily. Editing second library now and I am certain after I finish this project I will never use Lightroom again. The only thing that makes LR better than PS is that you can sync. more photos easier and faster than in PS (using script can do that aswell).

I mean it is dissapointing if you can´t edit 15 photos easily on a PC which costs around 3k. And by editing I mean: Crop, tone change, exposure, vertical allignment and removing chromatic abernation, without using any brushes or gradient whatsoever.

PC specs:

UserBenchmarks: Game 123%, Desk 162%, Work 173%

CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 2950X -> 16-core CPU Oc at 4.0 Ghz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB

HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB

USB: Toshiba StorE HDD 750GB

RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFD824A.M16FD 2x16GB

MBD: Asus PRIME X399-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the simplest way to see one of the core issues is by just resizing the Lightroom window - it's extremely sluggish on both my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen (UHD620) and Lenovo X1 Extreme (1050Ti). This UI sluggishness is apparent in pretty much all graphical Lightroom interactions (scrolling in grid view, photo edits, etc.) and doesn't respond to activating/deactivating GPU acceleration or any other "Lightroom performance optimization" found online, and has been evident in all recent Lightroom versions I've tried (recently tested on 7.4 and 8.1). Also, lowering the display resolution doesn't solve this either, and I'm also able to replicate the exact same issue with a completely empty Lightroom catalog.

Can other folks who experience performance issues confirm that you see this type of sluggishness when resizing the window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe LR Classic

Nikon NEF to DNG at 6000 x 4000

1920 * 1200 DELL monitor

i9-9900 CPU at 3.6GHz with 16 cores and 5GHz top clock

nVidia 2080i GPU

Intel z390 mobo
32Gb RAM
OS and LR software on NVM M.2 drive
Images and Catalogs on SSD

Runs appallingly slowly. Takes 3 to 5 seconds to move from image to image, cursor lags inputs, processor permanently churning at about 5% in background (I left it running for 2 days, just in case it was face recognition ...)

So, frankly, its the software, guys. Lightroom used to be (on a much older PC) greased lightning fast. Something got broken in 2018, and if it means removing features, please speed it up before adding features. Speed matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidjwbailey  wrote

Adobe LR Classic

Nikon NEF to DNG at 6000 x 4000

1920 * 1200 DELL monitor

i9-9900 CPU at 3.6GHz with 16 cores and 5GHz top clock

nVidia 2080i GPU

Intel z390 mobo
32Gb RAM
OS and LR software on NVM M.2 drive
Images and Catalogs on SSD

Runs appallingly slowly. Takes 3 to 5 seconds to move from image to image, cursor lags inputs, processor permanently churning at about 5% in background (I left it running for 2 days, just in case it was face recognition ...)

So, frankly, its the software, guys. Lightroom used to be (on a much older PC) greased lightning fast. Something got broken in 2018, and if it means removing features, please speed it up before adding features. Speed matters.

Typically no Adobe personnel viewing this forum, just other users.

To actually get Adobe’s attention post your problem at: Lightroom Classic | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions ?

Guys, how do you work in Lr with this problem?

Did you try a previous version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pc rig costs about 5.000$ with 128 gigs of ram and 2080 graphics. and stil lightroom is the slowest software i have ever exprerienced....

and yess i got only ssd's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

My pc rig costs about 5.000$ with 128 gigs of ram and 2080 graphics. and stil lightroom is the slowest software i have ever exprerienced....

Current running display resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zizanius  wrote

And OS?, Ok, current PC, SO WIN OS. VERSION/BUILD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

AND LR CLASSIC VERSION, ACTUAL VERSION.

8.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This. I've read dozens of posts and tried dozens of things. LR bogs down after you do multiple brush edits. No way around it. Dear God, don't zoom in and do it. If so, bring a meal to the computer and enjoy while you wait for the effects to take place. Everything is on SSDs. I'm not even going to bother stating computer specs. Same as you man. $5,500 desktop alone. Can't Run LR? No thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just throwing this out there, the amount of Develop Presets you have can have a large impact on performance. Having a lot of Presets, for some reason (while not even being used), can cause LR to run sluggish. Delete any and all Presets you do not use and you should see a bug increase in preformance. Atleast I did. I still get sluggish responses when trying to do certain things and I am running a very compatible system that I also use for Video editing and have no issues doing that. LR has always been sluggish with some tasks, like Importing, Exporting, Creating Previews, etc.

I am running LR on a 2020 custom built PC

Win 10 

AMD 3900X 4.0 (boosted)

64 Gigs RAM 3600 (best for that CPU)

Water Cooled System 

AMD 6800 GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines