Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom very slow and sluggish :-(

Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not sure why lightroom gets so slow for me when im using it

my computer is a proteus IV laptop, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 1060GTX 6gb, i have a 2TB hybrid drive (with the photos on it) and a 512 SSD C drive and 4.1 Ghz processor (when overclocked) the native GHZ is 3. something. i think its fast enough

when im editing photos , after a certain while it begins to slow down and get unbearably slow, to the point where its taking like 5 or even 10 seconds to update when i apply a setting,   this begins to feel discouraging after a while and i start to get frustrated and my work suffers.

currently im editing 300 photos that i took last night on 3 different jobs

any ideas?   do i need to  do something  on my end?  or is this a bug or what?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use any AV software either, and nothing else which is consuming significant amount of CPU while LR is running.

Power plan set to High Performance as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You leave out key information. For example, please tell us:

• the size in pixels of your monitor (we don't need the size in inches).
  • the size in pixels or megapixels of your original photos.
  • are you doing a lot of brushing and/or a lot of spot healing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

24" monitor 1920x1080

4608x3456 pixel images

Only little brushing and/or spot healing. I mainly use radial and graduated filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to find any indication that an i7-2000K CPU exists, did you type it correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry, that's a typo. It should read:  i7-2600K @3.4 GHz. Same CPU type as John is using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it hasn't already been mentioned, with your 1920x1080 screen, GPU accleration should be off (Preferences->Performance Tab->Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor")

This is a slow CPU by today's standards, so a faster CPU would have less lag.

Regarding the usage of the radial filter and the graduated filter, I truly don't know if these slow down Lightroom or not, the way spot healing and brushing are known to slow down Lightroom. You could try an experiment, take some new photos and don't do any radial filters or graduated filters (and no spot healing and no brushing) and see if the performance of Lightroom improves on those photos.

And the last possibility, which is always in the back of people's minds but we hope is not the case, is that there is some as yet unknown problem in Lightroom (a bug) that interacts with some hardware to cause these lags. As stated above, some people (including me) don't experience these lags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your efforts, dj_paige.

I will uncheck GPU utilization and observe what happens. In fact, I have been using LR with and without, since different sources seem to have different opinions in which circumstances GPU could be useful and in which it could rather harm. I couldn't see any noticeable differences.

As far as the CPU is concerned I fully understand that after 5 years there are more powerful chipsets but upgrading the CPU or even the entire system is not an option for me. Especially if there are people that state they have no performance issues with this CPU.

I am pretty sure that there something else is affecting the "sluggish performance". Be it any setting, condition or anything related to my individual workflow.

Still hope that John Blaustein comes back so I can follow up with him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to wrap up this discussion for LR7 from my end.

After a few weeks I can say there is no difference in my typical activities in Library and Develop module with GPU utilzation being on or off.

However, what I found is a noticeable improvement is consequently working in "solo mode". In Library I even have all panels collapsed unless I do tagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. this was helpful.

I do have other questions on how to seamlessly work between the two laptops, but will have to continue this another time.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going through a sluggish period too. I am writing to let people know what fixed mine. I was convinced LR Classic was bogging down, but was proven wrong. I work on a workstation laptop (Intel Core i7-7820@2.90Ghz, 16MB RAM, SSD C: drive with a 7200RPM D: data drive. Initial run through of pictures (rating, deleting bad pictures right after import) was never stellar and always frustrated me a bit. Then things got REALLY bad, for instance when I was cropping, the crop line would not keep up with the cursor. loading pictures really slowed down. This is what lead me to discussions like this.

Turns out there were two issues.

1) When I was on battery power, the laptop would slow down to conserve power. I found the setting for this and when I work on pictures, I set it to straight performance (killing by battery life, but photography is the priority).

2) My external power supply was bad. Because of this the computer could not tell how powerful the supply was, it was choking my processor speed to .78GHz! After I got a new supply it runs at 3.66 GHz! Needless to say this increased the programs speed significantly.  I didn't really notice with other programs because they don't need the power. To check your processor speed type Windows+x (windows 10), open Task Manger>Performance, It will show what your processor is running.

3) During this process, I decided to spring for a 2TB SSD data drive. All due respect to dj, this significantly sped up the loading of images, so it is especially helpful on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and dj_paige will never admitt Lr is broken item that will never work good again, regardless of computer you have. In fact the more old hardwarew you have the greatest chances you have it will work smooth. 1st you need to disable all GPU acceleration, for brushes to work usabel. But than panning and zooming will be jerky. 2nd you might diable all but two processor cores (in affinity), to gain smoothenss of operation. But than you will loose prevew and export rendering speed.

They repeat the suggested optiomisation for years, like a broken record. Those optimisation were relevant in 2014 era. I allowed 99GB cache on dedicated separate SSD, for instance. Had 32GB ram 4 years ago... top GPU awailable at the time. Adobe will always say my PC is not good enough. It's never good enough, the easier to say to someone with middle model. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the consensus that hardware acelertion should be turned off for all processes in LR.  I am using LR6.1  .....rubbish net for CC here.

Inserting keywords often causes LR to give the message "Lightroom is not responding"   I have a Dell with i7 8550U 16 gb ram Lightroom and pics all on Samsung 500 gb Evo 970

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a general comment on those who have performance issues with Lightroom Classic. See the link below to advice from Adobe to optimise performance.

Optimize Lightroom performance

Remember your computer will be limited by the performance of the weakest link. Look at all the items in the article.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading thru all this I do not see one particular inquiry for the OP.

I see your using a laptop. Is it plugged in or are you running on battery?

Laptops might throttle down cpu usage when on battery.

Hmm, and after a while it slows down, on battery? Having a charging problem if on the cord?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same problem on my notebook. It runs smooth and fast in the first place. But after placing some photos in the album mode it slows down painfully. Even the right click menu disappears. It only loads the outer frame, with no text. Also some menu items from the drop down menu are gone. However only a restart of the computer helps. After that lightroom is fast and smooth until everything repeats.

What I tried so far:

Setting notebook to best performance

Disabling GPU assistant (Does not help, I think this makes it worse. It slows down faster, but this is just a gut feeling)

Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Recommend that you repost your issue as a new discussion instead of adding to a year old discussion,

2. when you do, in addition to stating your issue add a follow up comment with system information.

to get that system information in a helpful way, in LR click on Help, click on System Information, click on Copy, paste into followup comments.

3. Also comment on how large your catalog is in MB, how big the hard drive it is in in MB and how much free space exists on that hard drive, both in MB and %.

4. And, are you running that notebook on battery or plugged in to electricity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have horrible slowness problems with LR classic. I have folder syncs, or moving folders still going overnight - literally hours do something that should take 15 minutes. 

I am using a Mac Pro 2013 with 128GB of ram, and a new 512GB SSD hard disk which is only 10% full. I have my LR catalog on a raid of 4 SSD's, cache was at 12 gb although recently upped to 40 gb. I have about 400K images on an external USB3 drive (3.8 gb full out of 5 gb). I recently installed this new hard disk and re-installed LR Classic from Adobe, and created a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still at a loss to understand why LR often freezes for several seconds when I am inserting keywords. I can understand with images since they have to load in. I will often input keyword, switch to the next image and the keywords for the previous image still show.  Dell 7572. i7 8550 16 GB ram, Samsung evo 970  500gb + 1gb HD .All images and Lightroom catalogue are on the SSD. I have increased cache to 50gb.

I am still running LR6.14 as the internet here is very poor and I often can't access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one main comment missing: No money can buy you fast Lightroom.

There are many tweaks that will theoretically increase how fast your Lightroom works, but they will help just barely, nothing noticeable.

It will run slow on any hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Alex+Petrenko  wrote

There are many tweaks that will theoretically increase how fast your Lightroom works, but they will help just barely, nothing noticeable.

And yet there are many people (including me) who are not having speed issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on probability, some combination of hardware and software should exists in this world on which LR runs fast. At least Adobe developers believe that their code works brilliantly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on probability, some combination of hardware and software should exists in this world on which LR runs fast. At least Adobe developers believe that their code works brilliantly

Based on reality, LR does run fast for many people, including several in this thread. It runs fast for the silent majority of users who are not complaining about speed issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, based on reality of some big group of tens, may be even hundreds (including Adobe developers) of people, it runs fast. For the rest (irrelevant part) of the world it is slow both in performance and in bugs fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who are the "many people"?  Can you ask them to post timings of a variety of actions, along with their hardware and catalog specs, here, for us to compare?  Thanks.

And could you let us know just how you're aware of the experience and results of the "silent majority"?  The fact that they're not posting here doesn't mean they're not experiencing slow operations with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is Completely False, untrue.

LR runs extremely well on all 3 of the computers I use it on. 2 older Win PC's, both bought or built in 2011, and 1 iMac from 2011.

Faster on the Win PC's as they have i7 CPUs but still acceptable on the Mid 2011 iMac with the older and slower i5 CPU..

So you know not of what you speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines