Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom very slow and sluggish :-(

Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not sure why lightroom gets so slow for me when im using it

my computer is a proteus IV laptop, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 1060GTX 6gb, i have a 2TB hybrid drive (with the photos on it) and a 512 SSD C drive and 4.1 Ghz processor (when overclocked) the native GHZ is 3. something. i think its fast enough

when im editing photos , after a certain while it begins to slow down and get unbearably slow, to the point where its taking like 5 or even 10 seconds to update when i apply a setting,   this begins to feel discouraging after a while and i start to get frustrated and my work suffers.

currently im editing 300 photos that i took last night on 3 different jobs

any ideas?   do i need to  do something  on my end?  or is this a bug or what?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djmattyz  wrote

im not sure why lightroom gets so slow for me when im using it

my computer is a proteus IV laptop, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 1060GTX 6gb, i have a 2TB hybrid drive (with the photos on it) and a 512 SSD C drive and 4.1 Ghz processor (when overclocked) the native GHZ is 3. something. i think its fast enough

Obviously not.

Please state the exact make and model of your CPU.

when im editing photos , after a certain while it begins to slow down and get unbearably slow, to the point where its taking like 5 or even 10 seconds to update when i apply a setting,   this begins to feel discouraging after a while and i start to get frustrated and my work suffers.

currently im editing 300 photos that i took last night on 3 different jobs

Are you doing lots of brushing and/or lots of spot healing on each photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

intel (R) core (TM) i7-7820HKCPU @2.90 GHZ  

every other program i have, from after effects, to photoshop to  maya 3d modelling programs etc. are all working fine now, except lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every other program i have, from after effects, to photoshop to  maya 3d modelling programs etc. are all working fine now, except lightroom.

Which is irrelevant to the question of whether or not your computer is powerful enough for Lightroom.

should i regularly wipe my database / catalogue and start fresh?   i have not cleared this one in a while now.

No, size of the catalog has no effect on Develop module speed.

What size photos (in megapixels or pixels, not megabytes) are you shooting?

What size is your monitor (in pixels, not inches)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ dj paige

about 20mb CR2 files.     5742 x 3648 pixesl in size    (when i opened it in photoshop it said 300Dpi but i dont know if thats inherent in the photo, or if thats just my photoshop default setting)

the monitor is HD 1920 x1080   17"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do a touch of brushing here and there when someones face is under exposed in a group shot.  no healing brush. just boostnig the exposure. it is certainly where i notice the sluggishness mostly.

i have a kind of preset that i apply to every photo i edit. which boosts shadows and saturation and stuff.

i think the more photos in my folder at any one time, the slower its, its like the deeper i get into the edit the slower it gets.

should i regularly wipe my database / catalogue and start fresh?   i have not cleared this one in a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning of the GPU option in the LR Preferences on the Performance tab and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that , it doesnt make it faster, still slow

my cache size is 5gb should i make it bigger?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes set it to 40GBs or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cant say for sure if making the cache file bigger has helped,  it appears to have helped a little though still shows signs of slowness, ,but  i restarted the software to make the change, and restarting itself may have also been a factor.  ill report back later when doing another large batch edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more than likely something to do with the power options settings. The system is probably set to balanced or Power saver. Set it to High performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is set to high performance already

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have sluggish response in LR.  I followed the suggestions given so far and hope adjusting the power setting will help.

Since January, i have purchased three new laptops hoping one of them will be sufficient to run LR and PS. I am  currently on an HP, 8th gen i7-855OU CPU @ 1.80ghz 1.99 ghz 16 gig ram, 1tb dirve with nothing on it. all photos kept on a brand new 4TB external drive. when i am half-way through an editing project, (roughly 190 images , Medium slze Raw files) the screen with go black, only the white file info visible in the top left. this will happen if a zoom in on an image, or when i select the image after it comes back into LR from PS -  - same in PS - i will export 3-5 images into PS as Layers. Aligning is quick, but doing basic brush stokes on a mask takes forever.

a project that takes 1.5 hours on my older HP, (5th gen i7, 12 gig ram, 1 tb drive, all images on external drive) took me 3.5 hours yesterday. -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photogirl2014  wrote

(roughly 190 images , Medium slze Raw files)

Tell us the exact size (in megapixels or pixels, not in megabytes) of your photos.

Also, tell us the size of the monitor, in pixels (width and height) not inches.

Also, tell us if you are doing a lot of brushing and or spot healing on your photos.

Since January, i have purchased three new laptops hoping one of them will be sufficient to run LR and PS. I am  currently on an HP, 8th gen i7-855OU CPU @ 1.80ghz 1.99 ghz 16 gig ram, 1tb dirve with nothing on it.

This isn't a really fast processor. Lightroom usually needs a relatively fast CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the quick response.. 🙂

I shoot Medium Raw images, roughly 5760 pix x 3820 pix.

I am not complete certain of the monitor pix, but the specs online show "15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen (for HD Camera)".

In LR, I don't do much brushing or spot healing - I do majority of touch ups in PS. In LR, I apply some basic presets - lens profile, shadows, highlights, verticals. etc.

Your comment about the processor being too slow for LR/PS is the first time anyone has mentioned that, which now makes sense. My older 17" HP (about 3 yrs old) has a 2.5 ghz (i7-47100HQ CPU @2.50 GHZ) 12 gig ram, 1TB drive and again, all photos kept on external drive. That machine has never had any issues when working in LR or PS.

So, onto a fourth machine? -- When I looked online for the best specs to run the Adobe Suite, no one I spoke to mentioned anything about processor speed... everything says Ram ... you gotta have RAM! ---

What is your opinion of "relatively fast CPU"? Stick to 2.5 ghz or more?

I really appreciate your feedback!!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as far as "fast processor" goes, they are ranked at cpubenchmark.net and other places on the internet, I would get the fastest CPU you can afford. As I recall, your i7-8550 had a benchmark of in the 8000s while today it is common to see CPUs benchmarked at 16000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a five year old PC--hardly fast by today's standards.  Both LR and PS run perfectly with virtually no slowdowns.  I mention this here because perhaps there is some variable other than CPU/GPU speed and amount of RAM that is causing the slowdowns for some people.

My system:

i7-2600K CPU

16GB RAM

120GB SSD for C: drive (that was a lot at the time I bought it) for OS and applications

500GB SSD -- second internal drive for LR catalog and image files

EVGA GeForce GT 710 video card (not expensive) running dual monitors

27" monitor - 2560x1440 (main monitor)

21" monitor - 1600x1200

Windows 10 Home

RAW files from Nikon D3 and Sony RX100V

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the location of the RAW images matter, and the speed of the drive they are on?

I'm having similar performance issues, and always have on my new and old computer.

It certainly slows down on images that have a lot of brushes. Even right-clicking has a serious lag of 5 or more seconds

As far as laptops go I've got a pretty good machine, one that was purchased specificall with Adobe CC in mind.

+ Dell XPS 15 9570

+ Nividia GeFrorce GTX 1050Ti (turned off in lightroom settings, which helps a bit - but surely the "on" option is suppose to help not make worse?)

+ Intel Core i9-8950HK CPU @2.9GHz

+ 32GB RAM

+ 4K display (I've tried the setting to make Lightroom not be in 4k, it speeds up a little, but it looks dreadful and images no longer look correct)

+ Ultra performance power settings

+ RAWs & cache (50GB, 30 day purge) are on a new external drive, Mechanical, 120MB/s 4TB Seagate Expansion Portable

+ Catalog and backup are stored on local drive (1TB SSD)

+ Windows Graphics settings for Adobe apps makes no difference

In short - lightroom doesn't run much quicker than on the computer I replaced, a 6 year old Macbook Pro.

I've managed to optimize my hardware and other Adobe software for best performance and rendering, but Lightroom I can't get to run as smoothly as I have seen it can for others on youtube or have read in forums. Lightroom has never been not slow for me.

I'm sure the rebuilt Lightroom CC will be the eventual replacement for Classic, but it's not quite there yet on features, so using Lightroom Classic for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonTime  wrote

Does the location of the RAW images matter, and the speed of the drive they are on?

Speed of the drive where images are stored affects Lightroom only a trivial amount that you will never notice.

It certainly slows down on images that have a lot of brushes. Even right-clicking has a serious lag of 5 or more seconds

This is a known problem in Lightroom. Try turning off the GPU acceleration. GPU acceleration actually slows down brushing. If that doesn't help, do your brushing in Photoshop.

+ 4K display (I've tried the setting to make Lightroom not be in 4k, it speeds up a little, but it looks dreadful and images no longer look correct)

And so now we get to the real problem. When you do brushing on a 4K monitor, I don't think there is a good solution in Lightroom. As I said, do the brushing in Photoshop. Or go back to an 1920x1080 monitor.

I'm sure the rebuilt Lightroom CC will be the eventual replacement for Classic

I don't agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. Thanks for your input and sharing your knowledge.

I changed the display resolution to 1920x1080, and for sure it has sped up Lightroom, but not a great deal. it has a similar effect to disabling the 4K output for the program specifically, rather than system wide.

But really it's not great if the solution is to not use brushes. I see all these tutorials or tips online, most people seem to be able to use Lightroom with brushes without problem, and some with many brushes.

I just tried Lightroom CC again, and yes, it's slow there too, so I see your point. I had hoped rebuilding it would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The underlying technology in Lightroom of non-destructive editing by moving sliders is a very great technology, it works extremely well, except when it comes to brushing or spot healing, where it doesn't work as well in terms of speed (works well in terms of image quality). If you are doing a small number of brushes on an image (which I sometimes do) then you probably don't get much lag, and I don't experience any noticeable lag. If you do lots of brushing (or spot healing), then you get the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the suggestion about turning off GPU acceleration. Made all the difference in my brand new M1 MacBook Air. I was about to return it due to the crazy amount of lag and slow down on the brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a five year old PC--hardly fast by today's standards.  Both LR and PS run perfectly with virtually no slowdowns.  I mention this here because perhaps there is some variable other than CPU/GPU speed and amount of RAM that is causing the slowdowns for some people.

That's interesting information indeed.

I run LR/PS CC in a similar environment (i7-2000K @3.4 GHz, GTX 550 TI enabled, 32GB RAM, Win10 Pro, OS and LR catalog on SSD, 19" HD monitor, 16MP Olympus RAW files).

With PS I have no problems whatsoever. Snappy UI and reasonable response times during processing.

With LR, the situation is very different.

LR UI response seems to have been getting slower with every release; that's my personal perceiption.

When I invoke LR and start working it is still "acceptable".

With every image I edit LR gets more and more sluggish. Not only in Develop module, throughout.

Eg it may happen that after 1 hour of working the Library module needs a few seconds to reflect the changes caused by "P"icking an image or assigning a colour. That's ridiculous and annoys me again and again.

Well, I could restart LR every few minutes but that's not acceptable.

So John, tell me your secret - why is LR running perfectly on your system while on mine it's not ???

Karsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kgiesel  wrote

So John, tell me your secret - why is LR running perfectly on your system while on mine it's not ???

Karsten

I have a 7 year old Windows 7 system that LR runs fine on. I do overclock and I also have all CPU throttling turned off (Desktop system with lots of fans) and Max Power set in the power plan options.

I also don't use any AV software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines