Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 12.2.1 will not back up on exit on Mac Ventura

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the following error message when i close LR

"Lightrooom was unable to backup the catalog...

please check your folder permissions and ....

i've read most of the posts here and cannot figure this one out. 

any tips greatly appreciated

thx   Tom

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

What is the location where you try to save the backup? Even 'full disk access' does not mean Lightroom is allowed to write to just any location. You set the location in the backup dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, whic OS are you using? 

Also, 

try restarting LR.

If that doesn't help, make sure LR has been granted Full Disk Access (not Files And Folders) permission:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the reply

I'm using Ventura 13.3 and yes, Lightroom has full disk access.

I've also gone to Finder and double checked that all the files I use with it have full Read/Write access.

I've even gone back and used an earlier backup -- restored it and got exactly the same problem.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop on two macs (never at the same time) and both of them have this problem.

Thanks agian,

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the location where you try to save the backup? Even 'full disk access' does not mean Lightroom is allowed to write to just any location. You set the location in the backup dialog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS

you got me on the right track.

I was backing up to the same folder for the last 10 years...in DropBox. So I made a new folder on my desktop and that worked fine. I made a new folder in Dropbox and it wouldn't work. I then tried a new folder in iCloud files and that did indeed work. 

I keep my catalog in Dropbox and I'm very careful never to close the mac before it completes all the data transfers etc and as long as i do that it has never been a problem but this is giving me somethinig to think about. But as long as i have plenty of good backups ( i DO backup every time I close the app) I think I'll be fine.

thanks for nudging me along

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox recently changed the location of the shared Dropbox folder, to comply with new MacOS Ventura requirements. Most likely the path to your backup folder in Dropbox was still pointing to the old location, which no longer exists.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow...I don't see why that would affect me. I just used a normal dropbox folder and all of my devices have access to all of the "normal" dropbox folders, just as I now will be doing with an iCloud folder. 

Something weird happened but I guess I don't care so long as I have a solution, which I now do.

thanks again

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most apps use the Macintosh Finder for 'save' and 'open' file operations. The Finder will make sure that the Dropbox changes are seamless. Lightroom uses paths to locations however. So if the path in the Lightroom backup dialog still says that the backup should be stored in 'Users/Username/Dropbox', then that is a problem because the Dropbox folder is no longer located in your Home folder. It did not just move, it became a new type of folder that is shown as a drive, just like iCloud drive.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful explanation, Johan!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Johan-

Thanks for that. Though what I don't understand is why can i not figure out why I cannot address it as a folder. it still shows in Finder Users>UserName>Dropbox>etc

I did try that just to confirm that the problem was from Dropbox and it would not work.

So anyway, I'm happy using iCloud after many years with DropBox

cheers,

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines