• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 6.14 desktop runs on Mac OS X Catalina (10.15 fourth beta)

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite my initial pessimism, Lightroom 6.14 (desktop) may actual work with the upcoming Mac OS X Catalina. I tested LR 6.14 using the latest 10.15 beta release which I installed on an external SDD drive. I also updated the Adobe Creative Cloud app but am not sure whether this is necessary. I am using a Mac mini (2018) 3 GHz Intel Core i5 wilth 8 GB of RAM.

- David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

An unexpected surprise ...

LR 6.14 (installed with Mojave) has (mostly) continued to function onh the latest version of macOS Ventura (13.0.1).

LR 6.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

We do not recommend running old applications on new operating systems, as it might cause some performance issues because older apps are not tested on newer operating systems.

You may check this article for more info.
OS support for Creative Cloud 2019 apps

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sahil. I understand that there are no guarantees and that there's no longer official support for LR 6.14. That said, I'm hopeful that I can still run the program with Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina). Based on admittedly limited testing, LR 6.14 seems to be functioning as expected.

- David

System Info...

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]

License: Perpetual

Language setting: en-CA

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.15.0 [19A512f]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 6

Processor speed: 3.0 GHz

Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 457.4 MB (5.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3,037.6 MB

Memory cache size: 334.4MB / 1,856.4MB (18.0%)

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 233MB / 4095MB (5%)

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: Intel Inc.

Version: 4.1 INTEL-14.0.52

Renderer: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect there isn't any benefit to updating the creative cloud application because Lightroom 6 is no longer supported or updated in any way by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. I suspect you're right but didn't see a down side to updating the Creative Cloud app just in case.

BTW, all is not perfect with the beta version of Catalina. For example, Canon's EOS 3 utility doesn't seem to work properly. Canon should release an update once Catalina is officially released (around late September).

- David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky you, unfortunately on my new MacBook Pro 13' 2019 it doest work correctly, I'm not able to install it even.

MacBook-Pro-Tomu:~ tomu$ /Volumes/Adobe\ App\ Mgr/Adobe\ Application\ Manager\ 10.0/Install.app/Contents/MacOS/Install ; exit;

-sh: /Volumes/Adobe App Mgr/Adobe Application Manager 10.0/Install.app/Contents/MacOS/Install: Bad CPU type in executable

logout

-n Saving session...

-ne

...copying shared history...

-ne

...saving history...

-n truncating history files...

-ne

... completed.

-n Deleting expired sessions...

none found.

I'm really surprised that such company like Adobe have so short life cycle of the software it's simple ignoring current user that don't like monthly fee payment and cloud based solutions like me, I have my own cloud and want to keep my data on my server. The only reason that Adobe doesn't support 2015 applications is that they are standalone and they want to get more money forcing customer to use Cloud monthly fee payments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have LR6.14 working on Mojave, you may want to try to replicate my approach as follows:

1) use Time Machine to backup your current system disk and applications

2) restore the backup to an external disk (or a new partition on an existing device)

3) boot from the backup copy of Mojave

4) register for the Apple beta program (beta.apple.com)

5) upgrade to Catalina (10.15.0 beta4)

In my case, I was able to launch LR6.14 without reinstallation or additional tinkering. LR was immediately able to access my original catalog and images. Some settings, however, may be stored on the system disk and, if changed, would not be reflected on the original system (Mojave).

- David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with LR6 and MacOS is that in general LR6 is 64-bit application and will run on MacOS Catalina which support only 64-bit apps. However LR6 has 32-bit installer that is why you cannot start with new installation on Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, below is the warning generated by Mac OS X Mojave (10.14.5) ... This message turn out to be inaccurate at least for Catalina (beta).

- David

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 12.39.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is likely correct in so far as it is indicating that Lr 6.14 is not optimised for macOS Mojave (10.14.x). I have  lots of applications that display a similar message. For the most part it can be ignored. Your comments re Catalina have already been addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

According to the Mojave legacy software report (see below) LR6.14 depends on some 32-bit code which may be the reason for the warning message. However, based on some preliminary testing, exclusion of these modules doesn't seem to prevent LR6.14 from operating correctly under Catalina 10.15.0 (beta4).

- David

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 5.05.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone proovide any update on this in the light of actual experience?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 6 will not run on the released version of Catalina. The Photography Plan, $10 per month for Lr, Lr Classic, Photoshop, and the mobile app as well as the upcoming Photoshop for iPad, is a bargain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know because you've tried it? I wasn't asking about the virtues of alternative products!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running LR 6.14 on the released version of Catalina and it seems to work fine. Maybe its not "optimized" but it definitely launches without errors and I've been able to import and edit photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats good to know. Thanks. As long as I can import, organise and edit my photos, thats all i need, optimised or not 🤓

Cheers,

Mal

Oz.:australia:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it runs, but you can't re-install Lightroom 6.14 on Catalina, if needed (for example due to hard disk crash, or purchase of a new computer). So in the long run, you will not be able to continue using Lightroom 6.14 on Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenos días, disculpe que no se inglés, como puedo hacer para que se ejecute en catalina.Muchas gracias.

Evaristo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola,

tenía instalado el programa Lightroom 6.14. Eso funciona en gran medida. Solo la presentación de diapositivas no funciona.

Hans-Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenos días, muchas gracias por tu ayuda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, I'm sorry I don't know English, how can I do it to run in Catalina. Thank you very much.
Evaristo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If LR6 was already installed and you upgraded the OS from Mojave to Catalina LR6 should still provide basic functionality.

If you have purchased a new Mac with Catalina, LR6 cannot be installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the screen capture for some relevant info from Adobe.

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 10.05.03 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'm not seeking advice from Adobe! Its position on LR 6.x has been clear for a very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines