• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 6, RW2 files, Windows 7

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I share a computer - she refuses to upgrade to Windows 10.

I am running LR6 - its paid for and has worked fine for me.    

I purchased a Lumix S5, which I am creating RW2 files.   When I try and import them to LR6 it advises me that the file format is not supported.   I get it.  

Is there a way to convert the RW2 files to DNG or another format I can edit in LR6.  I need a conversion method that will convert RW2 files to XXX (not JPEG) using windows 7,  then import those files into my version of LR for post editing.  

Gary 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use Adobe's free dng converter app: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

That will allow you to import these files in older Lightroom versions by using the dngs and they will be fully editable raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG comverter requires Windows 10 so your are out of luck so you need to upgrade your Windows or shoot JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch! Yeah this means the OP has no way of using the files on the older operating system using the older version of Lightroom. They might be able to find an older version of dng converter online but I would be wary of that as when I googled for it, many of the download links were on known malware sites. Adobe does not make older versions available for download. Otherwise, they would really need to convert the file on another machine running a more up-to-date operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An older DNG converter that runs on Windows 7 probably will not work either because the Lumix S5 is fairly new and any DNG converter supporting it probably requires Windows 10.  The key here is if you don't want to update from Windows 7,  which even Microsoft abandoned clear back in January 2020, than using Lightroom Classic or Lr 6 will not be an option for editing RAW.  I doubt any of the worthwhile RAW editing software available will run on Windows 7 as companies rightfully no longer support the old dinosaur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe has downloads on DNG Converter on their ftp site, including older versions. Version 13 of ACR is required, this likely does not work on Windows 7. You may not have a choice about upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panasonic may have a utility that can be used to convert your RW2 files to something else such as a TIFF or perhaps DNG.  Take a look and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silkypix Developer Studio SE-  Claims support for Panasonic cameras:

https://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/

The download appears in:

Rob_Cullen_0-1659312471064.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system requirements for Silkypix is Windows 8.1 but it might install on Windows 7.  Seems like a lot of gyrations and hassle to go through to avoid Windows 10 and keep using a WAY outdated OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I share a computer - she refuses to upgrade to Windows 10.

By @gwhaile

Please note: Windows 7 is an outdated operating system. There are no more patches and security updates. The computer is potentially at risk as soon as it is connected to the Internet. It's highly recommended to update to Windows 10.

Why does your wife refuses the update to Windows 10?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines