Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR automatically crops my images upon import

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I recently set up three new notebooks - one HP Spectre x360, a Dell XPS from 2020 and the new Dell XPS 2021. Lightroom runs the same across all devices HOWEVER it does this funky thing while importing my photos on one device: it automatically crops my images down to a 16:9 ratio even though the original file is not of that size and it bothers me to manually reset all images before I can start editing them. How do I turn this feature off? Mind you, it doesn't do that on the other devices even though I use the same CC account, settings, etc.! And no - I unchecked the box "apply preset during import" in library mode.

Kind regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that crop included in the Default Develop setting for your camera on the particular device?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I check the default develop settings for my camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: 

https://jkost.com/blog/2020/02/how-to-customize-lightroom-classics-default-develop-settings-v9.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see that the instructions for creating Default Develop settings have already been provided. What you can do is in the Develop Module go to the History steps in the left panel and click on the very first entry. That will have the develop settings that are applied. Then In the right panel click on the crop tool and see if there is a crop applied to the imported image. If so then use the info available in the tutorial to change your Default Develop settings.

If not then it may be some other reason, provide a screen capture of what you see.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 5.28.47 PM.png  

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Denis implies, you should double check your import preset(s) or perhaps reconfigure on that one machine and let us know if that fixes the issue. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it automatically crops my images down to a 16:9 ratio even though the original file is not of that size and it bothers me to manually reset all images before I can start editing them. How do I turn this feature off? Mind you, it doesn't do that on the other devices even though I use the same CC account, settings, etc.!

I assume by other devices you mean other cameras. If so you probably have the 16:9 crop applied in your camera's settings. Other possibility is that you had your camera's mode set to video, which will also apply a 16:9 crop to still images shot with this setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the devices he is referring to are the notebooks he mentioned. Worth a check anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was talking about the notebooks. My camera settings haven't been changed ever since setting it up a couple years ago, I did check those first after seeing how my images were imported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since all three laptops exhibit the 16:9 crop issue it's unlikely there's a problem with LrC. Please upload one of the raw files that exhibits the issue to Dropbox for further examination on our systems. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The author indicated in the original post “ HOWEVER it does this funky thing while importing my photos on one device: “.

Good idea if we can get a sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Here's a random RAW. Maybe it tells you something about the problem!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1yc8fjrw3yxkh3/DSC02396.ARW?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to 'open' it in ACR.

Comes in cropped for me:

crop.jpg

But, its possible the crop came to being prior to the conversion and saving of DNG? 

Could you use the same cameara, shoot something new, do nothing but upload as the original proprietary raw? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Here you go. One was shot with my standard profile on the camera (16:9), the other one with a 4:3 ratio. Now, even though I've always been shooting on this Sony with a 16:9 aspect ratio, I've never had LR crop my photos before. I know this probably solves the problem if I switched to 4:3, but it looks horrible on the camera, which is why I'm shooting in 16:9. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qso6refen3fn0is/DSC03391.ARW?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8opohb33yuh1cx/DSC03392.ARW?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#03391 is cropped

#03392 is not cropped. 

I suspect there is some camera metadata that ACR (and LR) use from the raw to preset this crop? 

I don't see this as a real issue if you shoot 4:3 then crop OR you decide you prefer 16:9 and want a crop automatically by default as all the data exists (outside that preset crop from (again?) camera metadata). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC is reading and using the in-camera applied EXIF Image Width and Height data as shown below using EXIFTool. This is the way LrC works.

"I switched to 4:3, but it looks horrible on the camera, which is why I'm shooting in 16:9."

Not sure I undertsand what you mean by horrible and why would you use an in-camera 4:3 crop setting when your camera shoots 2:3 crop raw images? We need to discuss this further to better understand what you're trying to do and why.

EXIF SONY ILCE-6300.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit my previous answer. I meant 3:2, not 4:3. 

It's an aesthetical choice. When I choose 16:9 on my camera it fills the whole screen whereas it adds two black bulk bars on either side of the screen when switching to 4:3. I honestly don't care which format I shoot in if it weren't for the way the screen looks, it just really, really bugs me when shooting pictures. 

Not sure what you mean by "camera shoots 2:3 crop raw images". I'm horrible with aspect ratios, but the aforementioned ratios are the only two options my camera offers me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "camera shoots 2:3 crop raw images". I'm horrible with aspect ratios, but the aforementioned ratios are the only two options my camera offers me. 

By @LUMINÆON

The Sony ILCE-6300 camera Menu 1 Aspect Ratio has a 3:2 setting. Have you tried that setting?

Aspect Ratio 3by2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that is certainly an in camera setting. I also have that option on my OM-D E-M1 and the crop gets automatically applied by LrC at import, it can be changed if necessary.

Clip from the original post “ it automatically crops my images down to a 16:9 ratio even though the original file is not of that size “. It's best to have all relevant information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have absolutely NO idea what happened because I'm still importing photos I took on a recent trip - before I encountered the cropping issue with LR. I didn't change any settings (as far as I know), but somehow my photos aren't being automatically cropped upon import anymore. Thanks everybody for trying to solve this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To test if the issue is still present with the previously imported files select one of them, hit the Delete key, and select 'Remove from Lightroom.' Then reimport that file and see if the 16:9 crop is still being applied. If so the only explanation is that you changed the camera's setting for 'Aspect Ratio.' That could have been done using one of the picture mode settings rather than the Menu settings. Certain picture modes override the menu settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines