• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic won't move folders

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly within the last week or so in LR Classic (7.2), Library mode, I cannot move a sub-folder with photos from from one folder to another. I get an error, "Could not complete the folder move. An unknown error occurred." It doesn't matter if it is a newly created folder or an old one. The catalog has been optimized, PC (Win 10) rebooted, 12GB RAM and usage is 65% of that RAM.

As an example, I can create a sub-folder "B" inside folder "A". I can create another sub-folder "C" inside "A". I cannot move B into C or move any of them to another folder. I can create and move empty folders, but if it has an image in it, it can't be moved around. I can move images from B into C, but I can't move folders.

My workflow is easiest when I move folders and I've been doing it this way for over a year. I don't know what may have changed.  I'm looking for ideas so that folders can be moved in LR. I can close LR, go to Explorer, move the folders, reopen LR and then "find" them for the directory but that is not what should happen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also find I cannot rename a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have found is that the folder to be moved must be the current folder selected. If I try to move a folder that is not the currently selected folder I will get this error too.

I'm on the very latest LR CC Classic 8.1.

This seems like a bug to me. Re-arranging folders in the Library module should be a simple drag and drop experience form any folder to any folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me as well! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of your Folders panel, complete with folder structure up to parent, might help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, have you changed your internet security program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a sec, this is old, this has been posted elsewhere, heck my inquiry is from a solution posted elsewhere, this same OP, same question,

Lightroom Classic: I cannot move a sub-folder with photos from from one folder to another | Photosho...

Time for OP to close?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resurrecting this post - none of these solutions worked for me, but this solution below posted by "manChild 762" on the Flickr forums back in 2008 solved my problem!! I created an empty folder and selected it immediately after initiating the file/folder move rather than forcing Lightroom to keep updating the current library view. The operations complete faster, use less CPU/GPU, and don't throw up errors.

I have experienced similar problems as well in moving files and them not updating... Now I can't provide a 10 out 10 guarantee method of recreating the bug/glitch, but I know its liked to multiple causes.

Heres a couple that I have noticed,

* Catalog fails to update folder listing when file is highlighted or selected in group selection, files that are not selected or the main selection move over and update just fine.

* If theres an other application that is reading or maintains an open connection to the same folder.. Like say you had a GPS software app that was wanting to save data, but hasn't yet. Only it sets the state for each file as in-use and read-only since it has temporarily taken the files hostage (on a system level) so it can save the GPS data to the files with no problems.. Its a problem when 2 apps are trying to maintain control of a file. Lightroom seems to only get access when it really needs it, since it maintains it own catalog(database).

Solution that I have found..
* When moving files from one folder to another, I switch to a unrelated folder and mess with files until the move is done. This way there will be no files that are being selected while the move occurs. I just tend to watch the numbers count down and count up between locations. Once its done, its safe to go back in and tweak stuff.

Uninstalling and ReInstalling won't fix this. Its a catalog and file access/permission problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later & I encountered the same problem. Realised that if it's a large folder, you need to be patient until ALL the images have loaded & then move or rename......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my I've been wrestling with this for YEARS and your solution of being patient and waiting until all the images loaded fixed the issue. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yet another solution: restart Lightroom Classic.

I tried all the solutions on this thread through the date of this post... to no avail.  

Note: The difference between my experience and the OP's is that I did not receive an error message, instead the pop-up warning that files would move on the disk never appeared.

Characteristics of the problem and solution as I encountered it:

1) Fast PC (i9, 32GB, RTX 3070) on Windows 11 with LrC 15.1 in Library mode (I note the OP was on LrC 7.2.  Old unresolved problem?).

2) No other program was accessing the folder as far as I could tell,

3) After drag/dropping the problem sub-folder to another sub-folder, the pop-up that warns that files will be moved did not appear, even after waiting 15 seconds (there was no error message as the OP encountered),

4) After successfully moving other sub-folders, the problem sub-folder still did not work, 

5) After restarting Lightroom Classic, the drag/drop operation caused the pop-up warning to appear immediately, and

6) After acknowledging the pop-up, the problem sub-folder with 1300+ photos moved quickly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines