• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR crop tool opacity adjustment

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm just looking for a slider/button/setting to adjust the opacity while using the crop tool in LR (classic). As it's too much time consuming to display every ready cropped image on a second monitor while working through thousands of images, I want to avoid it. Helpful would be only to stay on the main display and let the cropped out parts of the image more faded out.

So now my short question if there is any tool or setting to reduce the visibility of the imageparts outside the crop frame (maybe darken them more etc...)? Am I overlooking s.th. or isn't there no way?

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When applying a crop to an image, the surrounding area outside the crop is darkened, but LrC will not give you a 'permanent' preview of the area outside the crop as you are hoping for.

So TBMK- no way!

A quick way to check a crop (after one is done on any image) is to use the keyboard shortcut [R] to Open, then repeat [R] to Close the Crop tool.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response, Rob.
That was my hunch 😕 hmmmm. Good to hear that I've nothing overlooked, but not good in case of my "problem". I'm not looking for a "permanent" preview, but during using the croptool I wish to see the cropped off area more darkened than LR is currently doing in order to adjust the crop more/most exactly. Maybe the grade of darkness fits for many users. In my case I would like to focus just a bit more on the final crop/image. Turning the tool on and off seems like the best workaround, but at the end of the day that will lead into too many extra clicks working through such a huge amount of images.

So @Adobe developer crew: Please give us/me a little slider or insert field to set the opacity or darkness of the cropped out area during the usage of the tool to an individual value - maybe as part of the settings or within the croptool itself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will be of use to you. While the crop tool is active, press the [ L ] Key to cycle 'Lights Out' mode. It will darken everything but the cropped area. 

Note: it is a three position toggle so you have to hit the [ L ] twice to return to normal view.  If memory serves the first L is 80% and the second 100%. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion, Rikk. I did not know this function yet, but just as toggeling the crop function on and off with R it will generate a huge amount of additional clicks while working through 3-4K of images. It is also a good workaround just as the R, but the best solution would be without extra mouse/keyboard action, only staying in the crop-tool/-mode and adjusting the final crop. Therefore it would be helpful getting the cropped parts faded out darker...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for mentioning (L) option. I was looking for it for a while and now I see it is improving the cropping process to a huge extent 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines