• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR will not import TiFF files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When an image I edited in Aurora 2018 and saved as a TIFF file could not be read and imported by LRC. I decided to edit the same image in both Luminar as well as Topaz Studio. Each file was saved in a TIFF format and none of them were read or imported by LRC. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps the colon : in the filenames is the problem. Lightroom sees this as an illegal character.

I downloaded the file and my Windows automatically inserted an underscore to replace the colon.

Lightroom had no trouble importing the (renamed) file.

ScreenShot481.jpg

ScreenShot480.jpg

And a quote from- Filename Conventions and Compatibility

The only illegal character for file and folder names in Mac OS 9 is the

colon ":"

Edit:  beat me to the answer by 3 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Aurora is creating a nonstandard TIF file. I have numerous TIF files created by Photoshop In my Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Thanks for your response. I was wondering the same. I did the very same thing in the other Macphun product Luminar. Again, I saved in a TIFF format and LRC could read it or import it. I then tried it Topaz Labs Topaz Studio and had the very same experience.

How can I find out if they are using a non-standard TIF format?

This does not happen when I round-trip out of LRC. I presume because LRC is creating the TIFF file. But then when the other program returns the file it would not be able to do so unless both Topaz and Macphun are both using proprietary non-standard TIFF file format only when in a standalone mode.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that's beyond my expertise. Hopefully our discussion will draw attention from some of the more technical experts who watch this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload to Dropbox or similar a sample problem TIFF and post the sharing link here.  We can take a look to see what might be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John.

Here is the link: Dropbox - Huevos Coloridos in B:W.tiff

If it would be useful I can also upload the files produced by Luminar and Topaz Studio which LR could not read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file imports fine in Lr Classic

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 11.13.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also imports into my LR 7.0 (Classic) and LR CC 2015.12 as well.  Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you try to import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Godd morning John and Bob,

Here are the screen shots from the Import and I noticed that it does not even see the file that I uploaded and they are all on my desktop for the moment.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 08.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 08.14.22.png

Very much appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.  Please do Help > System Info and report the exact version of LR and Windows / Mac (we can't trust the update process these days).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

My operating system is Mac 10.12.6 Sierra.and LR is 7.0 Release. I have

heard back from the Macphun team and they state that they are using standar

TIFF coding.

Very much appreciate your help.

Stephen Campbell

USA: T. 904.430.0248 / C. 213.255.1322

Perú: T. (511) 586.8067 / C. (51) 995.512.315

E-mail: coachuno@gmail.com

Contact me: elcoachuno

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM, johnrellis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the colon : in the filenames is the problem. Lightroom sees this as an illegal character.

I downloaded the file and my Windows automatically inserted an underscore to replace the colon.

Lightroom had no trouble importing the (renamed) file.

ScreenShot481.jpg

ScreenShot480.jpg

And a quote from- Filename Conventions and Compatibility

The only illegal character for file and folder names in Mac OS 9 is the

colon ":"

Edit:  beat me to the answer by 3 minutes

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks nonetheless...as work in both Spanish and English I had used /  between BW and the Mac software had converted into a ":" and made the files unreadable just as you have stated. Lesson learned will not use characters in my naming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED!! I had used / in the naming of the files and both Macphun and Topaz had converted that to a ":" and made the files unreadable to LR. Once changed LRC recognized them and imported them without a hitch. Thank you Jim, Bob and John for your time and effort to help me resolve this issue. Very much appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dlj8​

And does your "issue" require an answer, or has this thread resolved it for you?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. In fact, LrC will not import, or even see TIFF, psd and psb files stored on my external HD created by photoshop. LrC is seeing NEF and jpeg files. Any thoughts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if you found any answers because I am having the same thing happen.  It won't see anything on my external drive with those extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @charlenetribe   Have you checked the file names for illegal characters? (as is the theme in this old forum thread.)

Do the TIFF files have an accompanying raw file of the same name on the hard-drive? I have seen situations where the TIFF is considered a "sidecar" file to the raw file and will not import if LrC General Preferences is set to- [Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos].

Have you tried the (often suggested) Reset of the Preferences file? PREFERENCES RESET 

It might be better to start a new forum thread with your question and full details of your system from LrC MENU: Help > Systerm info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Post a screencopy of you filenames. Or attach one of the problematic TIFF files here. (be sure that the size is below the maximal posting size here!).

BTW: if your file is a CMYK TIFF file, I doubt that Lightroom will import it. I'm not sure about the other color coding models supported by TIFF. PSB files are probably also unsupported.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines