Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC 11.5 - Different colors between library and develop module

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have LRC 11.5 on a Macbook Pro 14 (M1 Pro CPU) and I noticed that exported photos have completly different colors than in develop module. They are much less saturated and cooler. 

The exported photos look identically to library module but if I switch to develop module the colors chaning. 

This happens on the internal Macbook display and external monitor. No problems at all on my Windows PC. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, the preview architecture in Develop is unique to all other modules and the most accurate preview of the data. You should always view previews there and elsewhere at 1:1 or greater and when comparing, use the same zoom for each. 
It is normal to see slight differences at 1:1 but if really excessive, the first thing to try is to disable GPU in preferences; better? If not, you might have a corrupted display profile. Recalibrate the display or whatever you usually do to create a display profile. When given the option to build this profile, pick Version 2 (not V4) and Matrix not LUT. As to viewing Develop module and Library and outside of LR, it helps to soft proof in Develop using the same profile used in Library (Adobe RGB (1998)) OR the profile selected in Export for the edited image. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled GPU acceleration and it seems that the problem not exist anymore but editing is much slower then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mr.Mario. wrote:

I have disabled GPU acceleration and it seems that the problem not exist anymore but editing is much slower then. 

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it did come back with disabled GPU after a few minutes. Don't know why. 

The GPU driver can't be updated. I use a Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you always connected to the external display too? Try only having the internal display active or only the exernal display (close the lid). Restart Lightroom after you disconnect one display. The bug here might be that the wrong monitor profile is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens on both external and internal display. If the external display is connected, the lid is always closed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of MacOS are you using?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.5.1 I have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another cause for this happens when you use a small color space in the export such as sRGB. The screens on these machines are much wider gamut than sRGB and you can get strong desaturation of colors in some very specific cases. This is becoming much more common now displayP3 capable displays are becoming very common. You can check if this is the issue by turning on soft-proof in develop and selecting sRGB as the profile to proof to. If so check if the change doesn't happen soft proofing to a wider space such as displayP3. If this helps simply export to the bigger color space.

The color space for the previews in Library depends on what quality you have selected and what size you look at. I believe when you zoom 1:1 in library it creates a adobeRGB jpeg. At all other preview sizes it could very well be just sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked and library previews are in sRGB when you have medium quality selected so this very well could be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You checked how?

AFAIK, all previews outside Develop are Adobe RGB (1998).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vaguely remembered they changed this a while ago. I checked in the simplest way possible with an image that is outside of sRGB on my displayP3 capable screen and the library view is identical to the sRGB soft proof when medium quality previews is selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I now softproofed in adobeRGB too and it is an identical shift there too. The image was also quite a bit outside of adobeRGB. DisplayP3 can display quite a bit in the orangered range I had in my sunset image that sRGB and adobeRGB cannot. It seems adobeRGB is also not wide enough for these new displays. Or simply too different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The softproof in develop has the same issue so it still shows wrong colors compared to export and library. 

I know about the wide color space of Macbook Pro but this happens also to my external monitor. Same color shift there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshots of the problem (just type screenshot in the looking glass in the menu bar)? 
How are you calibrating your display?

do you see this on all images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For calibration I use LG calibration studio. The calibration profile will be loaded into the monitor itself because it's a hardware based calibration. Monitor is LG 34WK95U. 

This happens on all images. The lightroom has about 5100 pictures and it's on all of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I encountered same problem. I have tried both LRC 11.4 and 11.5 in macOS 13.0.

everything become alright after updating the system to macOS 13.2,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines