• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC 12.2.1 Windows, hangs with runaway crash reporter (consuming all available RAM if allowed)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I can seem to trigger this in LrC 12.2.1 but so far it seems that 12.1 is working OK.

The issue only seems to appear when developing Apple Pro Raw images that are sync'd to LrC from my iPhone. (Raw images imported directly from my Nikon don't trigger the bug, it seems.) As I develop the iPhone image, it takes very little time before Lightroom stops responding; the laptop's fans start accelerating and sure enough, in Task Manager the crash-reporter service is running away with CPU and RAM. I have to force kill it.

I tried disabling graphics acceleration as well as downgrading my nVidia driver from 531.29 to 528.49. None of those changes make a difference.

I can't tell if the problem is the format (Apple Pro Raw) or if it's connected somehow to images that are sync'd with Lightroom Cloud.

Regards,

Chris

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find no crash reports related to this on our end. 

In order, I would recommend:

• Clean reinstall of your video drivers (I see you've done this already but probably just did an update or roll-back) A clean reinstall can cure problem s like this. 
  •  A clean reinstall of Lightroom
  • A fresh set of preferences (note: preferences survive an uninstall/reinstall. 

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure
  • Close Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  • Restart the computer
  • Launch Lightroom
  • Wait 5 minutes

A preference file survives an uninstall/reinstall. This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

• 1. Close Lightroom.
  • 2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
  • 3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
  • 4. Close Lightroom.
  • 5. Restart Lightroom.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, thank you for your reply. I'll happily follow your recommended steps.

An additional piece of information that might be valuable: I selected a problematic image from my synchronized folder (i.e. one of the iPhone Pro Raw images) and re-imported it separately. By this I mean, I imported a copy of the DNG into LrC, exterior to the sync. I developed this copy at length and was unable to cause a hang in 12.2.1.

My findings so far:

1. LrC 12.1 appears to be hang-free but 12.2.1 demonstrates the problem for me.

2. Developing an image in the Mobile Dwnloads.lrdata directory causes the problem; same image in a separate non-sync'd directory has no issues. These seems to point to a sync issue rather than a Pro Raw issue.

I'll complete Rikk's recommendations now, but I think the evidence above is worth a note.

Regards,

Chris P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I've followed your instructions to the letter. Clean reinstall & reboot for nVidia; clean reinstall of LrC (complete with interstitial reboots); purge of preferences. But I'm afraid since then I've had one runaway Crash Reporter - screenshot attached - and one total bluescreen.

I tentativelty report success with one thing: the hang/crash behavior seems to be mitigated by pausing Lightroom sync during editing of iPhone Pro Raw pictures that are sync'd with Lightroom Mobile. The behavior has only affected me with synchronized images in the first place, so all this seems to point to something in the sync behavior that is causing the issue for me.

Regards,
Chris P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue screen is normally indicative of a Hardware Failure. If pausing Sync helps, I would be suspicious of Memory and/or GPU. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nVidia today released a new Studio driver 531.41, and an item in the release notes is "Adobe application stability issues using 531.18". I have no idea if this is pertinent to my own issue, and it sounds like I'm something of an outlier to begin with. I'll install this new driver to see if it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines