• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lrc not launching

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and reset preferences. I can't get Lightroom classic to launch. It was running in the background at one point but not anymore. 
lightroom works just fine but I need lrc to import raw images through pluggin. What can I do to get LRC to launch?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

So, if LrC is not running, if it is closed, why does that lock file exist?

3.png

With LrC closed, not running, carefully delete that lock file. That lock file is  created when LrC opens a catalog, and it is deleted when LrC properly closes. It is created to prevent opening two instances of a catalog. If LrC crashed, or if you force quit Lrc, then it does not get deleted. Mind you, an error message is supposed to pop up if you attempt opening a LrC catalog with that lock file in existence.

After deleti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to reset the preferences to the default settings by doing the following steps:

• Close Lightroom (if it's running). 
    If you see only the task in Windows' task manager kill the appropriate process
  • Windows: Hold down [Alt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
    Mac: Hold down [Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
  • Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
  • Close Lightroom.
  • Restart Lightroom.

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

If this doesn't help another try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the link below.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com).

Is your system up-to-date? Do you have installed all recent updates and patches for the operating system and the device drivers, especially the graphic driver. If you have a NVidia graphic card installed, make sure that you are using the recent Studio version of the driver, not the Game Ready version.

If this all doesn't solv the issue, please provide a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be get from the LrC Help > System Info menu item. There's a copy button in the System Info dialog. Press this button and paste the info into your next forum post.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use Windows File Explore to show what files and folders are in the folder your catalog is on. And post a screenshot of that info in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this what you're asking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if LrC is not running, if it is closed, why does that lock file exist?

3.png

With LrC closed, not running, carefully delete that lock file. That lock file is  created when LrC opens a catalog, and it is deleted when LrC properly closes. It is created to prevent opening two instances of a catalog. If LrC crashed, or if you force quit Lrc, then it does not get deleted. Mind you, an error message is supposed to pop up if you attempt opening a LrC catalog with that lock file in existence.

After deleting the lock file, double click on the catalog, as to start LrC (and opening that catalog)

Ref::

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after deleting the lock file and trying to open. its now running in the background again, but not opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup

4.png

Are you sure that the catalog in the above is the current one? Looks old. And it looks like a failure occurred some time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I update the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second followup. One about OneDrive, the other about backup location.

5.png

1. Adobe does not support keeping a LrC catalog on a network share. Be that a NAS, an actual Server, or the Cloud. The catalog will fail.

see:

You may need to relocate that catalog (if it is on OneDrive) to an actual hard drive in or connected to your computer. Photos supposedly can be on the cloud, but Adobe contradicts their recommendation on that, In one document they say yes, in a troubleshooting document they say no. Some have good luck with the photos on the cloud, many do not. Typically the issue with the catalog on the Cloud is a catalog crash, and a catalog corruption. Typically the issue with photos on the cloud is a loss of connection (that is LrC looses the info on where they are)

and see:

2. And is your actual backups of catalogs and of photos actually on the same drive or location as your working catalog?

see:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. It's showing its auto syncing to one drive. 

2. yes, same drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok just syncing.

Thing is, that can slow LrC down. And if your OneDrive access is having issue, it can bring LrC performance down to it's knees. In very bad cases, it can cause LrC to fail, I would recommend undoing that auto sync to the OneDrive. Go ahead and backup/copy outside of LrC.

Their are a few discussions on OneDrive causing nothing but problems in some members LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saw, I clicked on some of the links you suggested, but never found a correct answer. I'll have to dig deeper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A test, and a method to keep in hand.

On a Windows PC, Press down and hold the ALT key (on your keyboard) and mouse click on your LrC shortcut. This will bring up a Select Catalog screen, from that screen you can select to create a new catalog. See if LrC will start that way. (thus eliminating a corrupt catalog, or a poorly located catalog from the equation) As to see if LrC can start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

the catalog lock file was still showing on my hard drive. I had to deleted it in both places and now LRC is launching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines