Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Pro M1 | Nikon Z6 II tethering not working

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a Macbook pro M1 and want to use tethered shooting with my Nikon Z6 II.
All device are with the current firmare.

I did everything as described on the Adobe page. Connected my camera via USB-C with MBPro, start LR Classic and Tethering, LR CLassic starts again in Rosetta-mode, starting tethering but cameria will not be recognized.

It's a big problem because I have to shoot my business photography via tethering in front of my clients.
The previous camera Nikon Z6 did it very well, but not with the Nikon Z6 II.

I tried already a lot of things like "disable USB-loading", usage without cards in the camera.

I need very urgent support and solution, because jobs have to be executed.

I hope that somebody can give me right solution.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Read the whole post. Tethering with Nikon cameras doesn't work on M1 macs and Ventura yet because Nikon hasn't updated their Tethering SDK yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

"If you save your catalog on an external drive or if you are tethering with Nikon products, please read before you update your Mac OS to Ventura (13.x)

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html "

From the link: 

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.53.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this apply?: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your idea, but if I understood this article correct, it refers to a local drive for the catalog.
My catalog is on a local drive. 

That means, this article doesn't reflect my Problem, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the whole post. Tethering with Nikon cameras doesn't work on M1 macs and Ventura yet because Nikon hasn't updated their Tethering SDK yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you save your catalog on an external drive or if you are tethering with Nikon products, please read before you update your Mac OS to Ventura (13.x)

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html "

From the link: 

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.53.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have already installed MacOS Ventura 13.0.1.

That means I have to wait 😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NX tether workaround works right now on M1 and Ventura. A bit slower than native tethering but works just fine and the images show up in Classic quite quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can get Nikon tethering in Lightroom working yet on M1 computers. I have tethered on my M1 Mac running Ventura by simply using the Nikon NX Tether app and setting it up to dump images into a folder that gets autoimported into Lightroom Classic. This works fine. Not as nice as tethering straight into Classic but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. 
If the problem cannot be solved, this could be a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this workaround, finally something that works! Oddly, it will connect to a Mac (M1) at my work, but cannot get anything here at home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same issue and as I'm shooting with my D850 tethered to Lightroom on my M1 computer, I've had to find a workaround. Here's what I did to solve the issue, if that's any help to you. 

1. I have an older Intel-based MBP. I switched macs in the studio, I shoot tethered on my Intel Mac and select the pictures with my client to delete unnecessary shots, I save all on the local SSD, it synchonises on my Synology SAN, then I go back to my desk with the more powerful M1, it synchronises with the SAN in realtime, I then open the relevant Lighroom catalogue and go into post prod on the M1. The Intel stays in the studio, only the .NEF files are passed to the other side (synchronised through the Synology Drive SW rather), I even use 2 different catalogues to avoid conflicts (I synchronise my Lightroom catalogues between macs via Onedrive at live.com). A bit convoluted but the process works fine and is fast. The trick is to recycle an older Mac and dedicate it to the studio. All postprod being done on a newer, more powerful Mac. I think I will keep this process even after they have updated the firmware because it works fine and it's quite effective.

2. Alternative solution: install darktable, it's free for all and it works fine with my D850 (haven't tried it with the Z7 I wouldn't dream of using the Z7 for my studio work).  In Darktable plug camera into your M1 Mac, switch camera on, click "mount" and you'll be taken to the tethering tab. Display and transfer is much slower but it works fine anyway and it does the job. Next open Lightroom and import files separately and go into post prod. 

I tried to install Nikon NX it did find the D850 but I havent managed to make it work though.

HTH 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so muc h for your input.

I'm not an IT-expert and therefore it sounds a little bit too complicated for me.

I have to wait until Adobe/Nikon solve the problem and I hope this will be very soon.

In the meantime I have still my Nikon D5 (is for sellling) and I can use that camera for tethering.

Best greatings and have a noce advent season.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. It's not that technical but a tad complex, I admit. Merry Xmas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have teh same problem with My Nikon D810. The problkem is within Adobe and they will not solve the problem . I have tested the Nikon software and it works correctly.

So Adobe what will you do abouth it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it is an Adobe-related problem. They solved it for Canon, but not yet for Nikon. 

Only solutions are 1) Nikon NX tether (didn't work for me) 2) Darktable (free) (not sure DXO is a valid alternative either) 3) sticking to your old Intel MBP in the studio (that's the one I chose)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanky you for your input.
I'm a bit upset that Nikon & Adobe are not doing anything about this.

Currently I have only to wait and wait, till something will be provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this is very annoying. And I suspect that if Nikon can't do anything about it, there are few chances that we achieve any better results. M1 machines are still new, I suspect there must me a lot of Intel machines out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all manufactuers, Nikon work at their own pace and share the information needed for support from third parties (e.g. Adobe) according to their own priorities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this thread. This is a very frustrating situation. Luckly I have a few days before a photoshoot. Adobe suggests Rosetta... which keeps crashing for me, useless. My work round is to use my older 2012.5  MacBook Pro with OS 10.13 and Lightroom 9.4. Tethering LR with Nikon has worked great for years with my Nikon D5 on this machine. So much for enjoying my new Mac. Glad I saved my old Mac. Might be good ime to switch to Capture One?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peterg52911383 This information is outdated. Lightroom Classic 12.2 in conjunction with Ventura 13.2.1 should be working. See:https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I concur with @Rikk Flohr: Photography it works now with my Nikon D850 tethered to my Ventura M1 MBP. I haven't tried it with my Z7 but I suspect it should work in exactly the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines