Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magenta cast on print preview

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just installed my Canon Pro-10s. I have disabled the printer colour management to prevent double processing. I have selected the correct profile. When I go to print a picture the print preview comes up with a heavy magenta cast although the photo appears to print fine if I continue. Any solution ?

AB63BECD-C104-490A-AD92-AD1EC72B9311.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Photoshop's Print Preview isn't color managed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test this output with a color reference image:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Is it magenta?

The Print Preview where?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result in print preview. Print preview n LR and PS.

11EEBA6B-55C5-4DD9-839B-DC4BE3438281.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are viewing this where?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That image is from print preview on PS but same on LR. I have now disabled print preview and the pics are fine. Very annoying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's Print Preview isn't color managed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for LR and PS should I just disable it ? Surely they should fix this or what is the point having it ? Thank you for your  help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

So for LR and PS should I just disable it ? Surely they should fix this or what is the point having it ? Thank you for your  help.

I don't know what you are asking. You can't disable anything. When you use Print in Photoshop and the dialog appears, it may not be color managed depending on the version and OS. It has no bearing on the output. It shouldn’t look magenta but it doesn't match properly the image color managed in PS proper as seen below. Look at the red balls as an example; they don't match. PrintPreview.jpg

I don't know what preview you're referring to in LR. In the Print module, it's not soft proofing to the output, you do that in Develop. After selecting a print profile.

The major visual disconnect could be due to the display profile you're using, might be corrupted. Recalibrate the display and make a new display profile and check again. Do not build a version 4 ICC profile if the software has such an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print preview I am referring to in under print properties and is a tick box. If I no longer tick the box and directly print the image then I have no issues but there is a bug in that area of the program.

building a version 4 ICC profile is abovebmy pay grade lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

The print preview I am referring to in under print properties and is a tick box. If I no longer tick the box and directly print the image then I have no issues but there is a bug in that area of the program.

building a version 4 ICC profile is abovebmy pay grade lol.

Print properties of the PRINT DRIVER?

What software do you use to calibrate and profile the display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Spyder calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the prefs in the Spyder software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

That image is from print preview on PS but same on LR. I have now disabled print preview and the pics are fine. Very annoying though.

Print Preview on my Windows 10 ver1809 Build 17763.316 system using PS 20.0.3 shows no difference when compared to PS Proof and LR Soft Proof modes. This is using a wide gamut NEC P272w montior with SpectraVision calibration.

Try changing PS Preferences> Performance> Graphics Processor Settings> Advanced Settings> Drawing Mode> to Basic. The Normal and Advanced modes have been know to cause issues with PS  soft proof and perhaps Print Preview.

In LR Edit> Preferences> Performance> try unchecking Use Graphics Processor for the same reason when using LR Soft Proof mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no change but thanks for the advice. I have just disabled Print Preview in the properties page of page setup and it prints fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

I have just disabled Print Preview in the properties page of page setup and it prints fine.

I'll ask again because I don't know what you're referring to. Print properties of the PRINT DRIVER?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is located in the Properties sction when you clck the Printer button on the bottom right of the Print sction of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has nothing to do with LR and is not color managed. Ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a preview in the system printer driver then it's most likely not color managed as , but that shouldn't affect the actual printer output. Please post a screenshot of what you're talking about in the Properties section and what you're unchecking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I leave this box unchecked then I do not see any magenta cast.

69DB7F6F-BB2D-40C3-8F97-EAAEC21003B3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you said below is still true then as uncheck or ignore it. The printer driver window is a system-level applet, which are NOT color managed. It assumes your monitor and/or printer profile is sRGB. When using a wide gamut monitor or any other printer profile the preview will be incorrect.

"When I go to print a picture the print preview comes up with a heavy magenta cast although the photo appears to print fine if I continue. Any solution ?"

Instead use LR or PS Soft Proof tools with the target paper color profile, which are color managed. If they look different as well see my reply #12 above.

Develop module options in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

Proofing colors in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help and advice. Still thnk it is weird to have a print preview that does not properly preview what you are printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model monitor are you using? If its wide gamut or a Mac system with a P3 display that may be the cause what you're seeing. Many apps and web browsers are use the embedded or output color profile, but not the display's profile. It assumes sRGB, which works with standard gamut displays. With a wide gamut display you'll see a color shift to red similar to your screenshot and as described at the below link.

WIDE GAMUT ADOBE RGB LCD Monitors Screens Troubleshooting Over Saturated sRGB Color Reviews on the W...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a generic laptop screen which has been calibrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then lack of proper color management in the printer driver applet is probably not the issue.

I ran across the below post in the Canon forum. Most discuss the actual print having a magenta cast, but it may be related. There were a few fixes offered that appear to work for some users such as using a direct USB connection instead of Ethernet or WiFi and using different printer driver settings. Give it a read and try some of the suggestions. Good luck and let us know if any of the suggestions help.

Solved: Magenta Cast on New Pixma Pro 100 - Page 2 - Canon Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines