• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major hardware crash attempting to use Lightroom Classic 12.3 Denoise

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Invoking Denoise on an unmodified Fujifilm X-T4 RAW file (.RAF) results in a hardware crash. The scene goes black and the system must be restarted with a hardware reset.

I'm running a 2017 iMac Pro with macOS 13.3.1 (Ventura).

Has anyone else seen this? Or can suggest what I need to be looking for?

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 1968.100.17.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.4252.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 577~129

Serial Number (system): C02VQ7VXHX87

Hardware UUID: 8BDFB6E2-F1F6-5526-9D93-73ACA86BD549

Provisioning UDID: 8BDFB6E2-F1F6-5526-9D93-73ACA86BD549

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

OK, I fixed it. But I did two things at the same time, so I don't know which one did it. I deleted Lightroom's preferences. And I vacuumed out the cooling slots on the back of my iMac Pro.

When Denoise cranks up, I see very little CPU use (it's using the GPU for the most part) and the fans stay pretty quiet although they do increase in speed some.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Mostly interested in the GPU info.

Also, how much VRAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 8 GB of VRAM.

Lightroom Classic version: 12.3 [ 202304101834-a085245c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 13
Version: 13.3.1 [22E261]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.2GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,120.6 MB (3.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 43,686.6 MB
Memory cache size: 29.5MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.3 [ 1451 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 545MB / 16383MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 614MB / 32768MB (1%)
Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro Vega 56
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Off

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/bob/Pictures/Lightroom Catalogs/Lightroom Catalog-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/bob/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) DxO PureRAW 3
4) DxO PureRAW 3 Importer
5) Flickr
6) Topaz Photo AI

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User Preference: Off

Did you try with acceleration turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I didn't realize that was off. So I turned it to Auto.

Second, I got almost the same crash. This time the progress bar got to about halfway, as usual, the fans kicked on to high speed, and the screen went black.

But one click on the power button got things back to running without a system reboot. And the operation did complete leaving the .dng file in my library.

Hmm. So something is still not right, but I suppose it is less wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fans going to high speed followed by system crash is a symptom that your CPU is overheating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or a symptom that there's been a severe enough crash that the system has lost control of the fan speed (on a Mac). This system has 8 CPUs.

It's hard to tell if the screen goes black before or after the fans go to full speed.

Regardless, Lightroom is doing something that ends in a system crash. Running a raw file through Photo AI or PureRAW does not do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is doing something that ends in a system crash. Running a raw file through Photo AI or PureRAW does not do that.

It could do that, if enough heat is generated that the CPU (or GPU) overheats. The task of Denoise is more computationally intensive than any other task in Lightroom Classic by far, that generates heat, which must be dissipated. If there is any failure of the cooling system ... overheating and then computer shuts down. The fact that it doesn't happen in other software is irrelevant, their algorithms are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, anything is possible.

What I typically see when the CPUs/GPU is being worked hard is the fans slowing ramping up as the heat load increases. In this case, all is quiet with the fans until the sudden crash.

If this system can't handle the work load, I'll be looking for more reports of this problem with iMac users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can quickly and definitively determine if the computer is overheating by downloading the free Intel Power Gadget:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @BobRockefeller: AI-Denoise runs just fine on my Intel-based 2019 iMac with a Core i9 CPU and Radeon 580X / 8GB GPU. There is no overheating and I experience no crashes. You iMac Pro quite a bit more potent than my computer, so maybe there is indeed something wrong with the hardware? (fans clogged with dust? is that a thing? really just making guesses here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"fans clogged with dust? is that a thing?"

Very much a thing -- there are many posts here about LR overheating computers with improperly working cooling systems. My Macbook Pros (2016 and 2019) were very sensitive to that, and I had to take the 2016 to the Apple Store to get them to clean out the fan vents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to make sure you have installed the latest version of the driver for your video card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Mac. So all that happens with System updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I fixed it. But I did two things at the same time, so I don't know which one did it. I deleted Lightroom's preferences. And I vacuumed out the cooling slots on the back of my iMac Pro.

When Denoise cranks up, I see very little CPU use (it's using the GPU for the most part) and the fans stay pretty quiet although they do increase in speed some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to get to the bottom of it, you could try and retrieve the old preferences from a backup and put it back. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but for me it didn't work. At first I thought great as I managed to process 2 single images, one at a time not as a batch of two. Tried for a third and almost finished and crash.  As for fans cranking up, my case fans do a little and hold, temperature is maintained and does not increase. System and CPU is water cooled. (PC)

The more cleaning required, the harder the GPU is pushed. my AMD WX7100 8GB is pushed to 97 - 100% usage from the get-go and rarely drops below that depending on the image. Like your system my CPU usage is virtually zero and memory 3% of 64GB Corsair DDR5. Main system is AMD 9 7950x on an ASUS ROG Crosshair Extreme x670e and an RME HDPSe 32AES audio card.

I run other software apps that push my entire sytem and it remains solid. These are the first crashes that I have experienced since I had this system built six months ago. AI Denoise is definately doing something under the hood. I'm also running Photoshop and not Lightroom, but it is in Adobe Camara RAW that the sytem goes down when using AI Denoise. Have you checked your Lightroom Logs to see what they have to say, just a thought as I've just checked mine and there are a whole load of errors that have popped up and warnings and terminations at the end of the Logs over the past few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original post has a "correct answer" and was affecting a Mac but it sounds like you're on Windows? So it's perhaps better to find a similar thread that is still open, or start a new discussion if you want to get eyes on your problem. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nothings Ville 

Denoise runs entirely in the GPU. It doesn't even touch the CPU. This is very different from most other applications, and most other traditional functionality in Lr/ACR/PS.

So if it crashes, it's crashing in the GPU and that's where you need to start troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi how do you delete the Lightroom presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi how do you delete the Lightroom presets?

By @Erich32593464bdtl

Presets? or Preference file?

If Presets, why? And how does that relate to this post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines