• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masks not included in saved or printed image.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all
New to Lightroom and have a problem which is probably very simple but has been driving me mad for a few days now. I have edited an image in LrC by applying a mask to the background to make the subject stand out more. All seems ok until I try to print or save the image as the mask isn't included in the export or print only the original image is printed/saved. What have I missed?
Thanks
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

I might be wrong to suggest this- but are you actually making slider adjustments (Exposure, WB, etc) when you have a mask active?

Many have found the Tool adjustment panels collapsed by the 'Disclosure triangle' and have not seen a way to edit the image 'under' a mask.

Masks are only a 'transient' overlay as a guide to the area where Tool adjustments are made (by the Brush, Gradient, etc).

A mask will never appear on any exported derivative image. Only the applied Tool adjustments are 'baked int

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get a little more information? What version of Lightroom? Is it an old image that's been updated to the new LrCll masking? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

LrC is version 11.2. The image was a JPG taken on an iPhone and imported into LrC so the only editing it has had is in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

LrC is version 11.2. The image was a JPG imported from an iPhone and has only been edited in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rendered the image, the mask is still in the original. IF you print from LR, the mask edit should be seen. If you save out the image (export), then no, that exported image doesn't have the mask, it's back in LR. But the exported image should have the results of the mask edit. The mask, like all edits in LR are instruction based and only 'live' in LR or ACR again, as instructions for an exported (rendered) image.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I understand correctly then I would never be able to edit an image and save an edited copy to view in another application. I will only be able to view the finished results in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, when you export to JPEG/TIFF all the settings are baked in. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that automatically get saved are instructions to render an image. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I understand correctly then I would never be able to edit an image and save an edited copy to view in another application. I will only be able to view the finished results in LR?

By @Peter2340829496xs

There is no "save" in Lightroom Classic. If you mean you are exporting the image, then you must export as JPG/TIFF/PSD to see the edits outside of Lightroom Classic. And when you export, if you select Image Format to be Original, you won't see the edits either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've exported the image as both JPG and TIFF but the result is the same and no edits are applied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can view a “finished” rendered image you export. 

The raw is always raw. You create instructions to process this raw; rendering a TIFF, JPEG, PSD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue may be with the original image being a JPG. I've run through the same process with a RAW image and when I export as a JPG everything is as I would expect, mask and other edits applied to the exported JPG. Does LrC not work fully with JPG files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works exactly the same with JPEG as Raw, bar the way white balance works and less effectiveness with highlight recovery. Or it's supposed to. 

Are you seeing this with all rendered files, or a specific file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All ok with RAW files but I have the same issue with all JPEG files. As an experiment I've taken a picture on my camera with it set to save the image in both RAW and JPEG. I can work on the RAW file ok but have the same problem when applying the same edits to the JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JPEGs are also using the instructions to re-render a new JPEG (or TIFF) with the masks. So say you apply ANY edit in Lightroom Classic on a JPEG or TIFF or PSD. Then you open that JPEG. You do not see the edits! The instructions are shown to you in LR however. To get that JPEG or TIFF or PSD to show the edits, a new iteration with the instructions must be rendered. You do that by exporting (or Open in Photoshop WITH edits).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong to suggest this- but are you actually making slider adjustments (Exposure, WB, etc) when you have a mask active?

Many have found the Tool adjustment panels collapsed by the 'Disclosure triangle' and have not seen a way to edit the image 'under' a mask.

Masks are only a 'transient' overlay as a guide to the area where Tool adjustments are made (by the Brush, Gradient, etc).

A mask will never appear on any exported derivative image. Only the applied Tool adjustments are 'baked into' the new image as suggested by others.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-local-adjustment-masking-sliders-are-...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob

One of those kick me moments when I'd read your reply.

Some of the changes I'd been making were to the mask overlay, colour, opacity etc of the overlay rather than changes to the image itself. Because I had 'Show Overlay' ticked the image on screen looked as I wanted but obviously not all  changes were being made to the image itself.

All good now thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem but did not have an ah ha moment.  I createe a mask and made the background white - which is perfect.  If I took a screen shot of my computer it would be perfect.  When I export the picture the mask is gone. I am using lightroom version 5.3 online.  I saw some discussion regarding the done button but that does not exist.  I like you are new and making a super beginner mistake.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter2340829496xs_0-1651436660128.png

In a nutshell I was making adjustments to the mask on the small box labelled 'mask opacity'. This made everything look ok on screen but never actually altered the image. Any adjustments, once your mask is applied, need to be made with the sliders on the right. Once done then the image can be exported with all the adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ronda24274308cbqv 

A Mask is NOT part of the image. It NEVER applies the 'appearance' of a mask to the image.

A Mask can also be called an "Overlay". An Overlay does NOT alter any part of an image.

A 'White Mask/Overlay' is simply that- a guide to the area where you will apply a Local Adjustment (by the Brush or Gradient tools!). As in Photoshop- a mask restricts/permits adjustments to specific areas of the image.

You can turn the Masks/Overlay on/off. When 'off' it will reveal the adjustments you have made to the image that you might export.

Example-

1)  Subject selected AND the Mask 'Inverted'.  The Mask/Overlay is 'white'. The mask Overlay is set to "White"

2022-05-03 15_05_58-Solved_ Re_ Masks not included in saved or printed image. - Adobe Support Commun.jpg

2022-05-03 14_55_25-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

2) The 'underlying' image with the Mask/Overlay turned 'Off'.

2022-05-03 14_55_39-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

3) The 'underlying' image with a hue adjustment made.

2022-05-03 15_00_04-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

4) Turning the Mask/Overlay 'On' once again- Image is exactly as per 3)..!  It will NOT export as in 4).

2022-05-03 15_03_17-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your help this evening, as I said I'm new to this and it's good to know there are people willing to offer help for even the most novice users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good you have it going!

Sometimes the "obvious" is not always OBVIOUS 🙂

2021-10 MASKING TOOL Oct2021 (J Kost)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue sometimes.

It's simply a bug.

I use brush to defringe.

In lightroom looks fine on Jpeg export the fringe is still there.

I delete the masks and redo the defringe again.

And yey this time it didn't get bugged!!! Lucky me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines