• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

migrating catalog + archives on a new computer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am contemplating the idea of having my entire "lightroom suite" (catalog + archives, ie all my actual files) available, the very same way, from my new desktop and from my laptop. 

For that purpose I have copied my catalogs and all my archives (full res files / photographs) onto an SSD 2Tb portable disk. Everything has been copied "one to one", without any alteration (catalogs and files).

I was hoping that when I re-open my catalogs from my new SSD, using either my laptop or desktop (while the SSD is connected to it, of course), the software would simply ask me to relocate the "missing files", I would then point out to one of them in the SSD... and the software would "naturally" relocate all of them, file by file, no matter which folder they are stored in, since the entire archives have been copied as is, one to one. 

Not So!! I find myself having to point out at each and every folder, the software only being able to locate those files which are stored in the very same folder. I have 20 years of folders, one folder for each day shoot, one folder per month, one folder per year!

Plus, I am unable to transfer smoothly from desktop to laptop since the volumes are not named the same (hence for each transfer I need to "relocate" all missing files!).

Is there a solution, at least for my catalogs to be able to relocate "smoothly, on its own" the files in my SSD on one my computers, as this is the volume which will replace my previous internal disks on previous desktop?

Hope this makes sense?...

Many thanks,

Eitan

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Have you tried re-browsing a "year" folder (not an image)? Or more preferably, the folder one level above that.

If your "year" folders are currently the top level that's shown within the Folders panel, you can right-click on one and choose Show Parent Folder to reveal this next level up.

This common parent for all of the "year" folders, can be itself re-browsed to point to the 'parent' of all the year folders in their new location. This gives you a single point of management, for an entire t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried re-browsing a "year" folder (not an image)? Or more preferably, the folder one level above that.

If your "year" folders are currently the top level that's shown within the Folders panel, you can right-click on one and choose Show Parent Folder to reveal this next level up.

This common parent for all of the "year" folders, can be itself re-browsed to point to the 'parent' of all the year folders in their new location. This gives you a single point of management, for an entire tree of folders and subfolders.

Your portable drive must appear under the same referencing, to both computers, in order for the Catalog's file addressing to become equally valid in both contexts. For Windows, this means under the same drive letter - and that may require assigning it a specific letter (which should be chosen further on through the alphabet, well clear of the variably assigned letters E, F, G etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works mavelously well!

Mnay Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you are most welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most helpful!

Many thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the link from Ian Lyons, you need to see Figure 4 and associated text, which explains how if you re-connect parent folders, all sub-folders are also re-connected and this should greatly simplify your task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All sorted!

Many Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines