• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: JPG export strips exif information even with include all metadata selected

Participant ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if a dng file is created from pre-processing app (e.g. Topaz Photo AI), the returned DNG will show up correctly in Lightroom with all metadata intact.

However, if this file is exported as jpg (all metadata included), the resulting jpg does not contain any exif data (no aperture, no exposure time, no lens info, no model ect).

The original DNG can be found in this link (the file is too large to be attached): DNG

The exported JPG is attached to this post.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondered if I could get some advice, for a couple of weeks using Lightroom Classic latest Feb 2024 release, exports of Jpegs remove the metadata, Tiff and other file types are fine - I have checked the export box and the "Metadata area" include All Metadata is ticked. I have asked on the Lightroom Facebook page but no helpful answers, anybody throw some light on this and a possible fix. Today I have uninstalled Lightroom Classic and reinstalled via Adobe page and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this issue. I've exported several jpegs until two days ago with LR 13.2 and there al EXIFs available.

In a first step you should try to reset the preferences to the default settings.

Reset Procedure:

• Close Lightroom.
  • Windows: Hold down [Alt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
    Mac: Hold down [Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
  • Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
  • Close Lightroom.
  • Restart Lightroom.

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

If this doesn't help please provide a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be get from the LrC Help > System Info menu item. There's a copy button in the System Info dialog. Press this button and paste the info into your next forum post.

Please post also a screenshot of your export settings.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say:

• Which version of LrC you are using?
  • How you are viewing the missing metadata; what tool?

From LrC 13.2, here's an example of the metadata from an extract to JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did actually say the latest version - it tells me it is LRC 13.2

I am viewing the metadata within LRC  Library - attached is a screen shot, showing most of the Metadata missing othe jpeg file

Kevin2566508498g5_0-1711544205077.png

yet this file being a PNG the metadata is showing.

Kevin2566508498g5_1-1711544364300.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry missed seeing your 'Lightroom Classic latest Feb 2024' but keep in mind we deal mostly with version numbers. 

Here is my EXPORT->METADATA setting I used

DS256_0-1711546658399.png

I had to extract to PNG from an existing photo, import it, then extract to JPG. My metadata was retained.

DS256_1-1711547154673.pngDS256_2-1711547181188.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I see the problem with my LR 13.2 / Mac OS 14.2.1.  The imported DNG shows lots of EXIF fields in the Metadata panel:

johnrellis_0-1711598092402.png

But exporting it with the following settings produces a JPEG containing no EXIF fields (according to Exiftool):

johnrellis_2-1711598253703.png

johnrellis_3-1711598328343.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider moving to Bugs. The problem is easy to reproduce with the attached DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select one of the original problem photos from which you are exporting, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, and upload it (and its .xmp sidecar if it's raw) to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post the sharing link here. We can see if the problem is occurs in other LR installations or is particular to yours, and take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin2566508498g5_0-1711616189447.png

Just an update on this I think I have found the answer to why it is occuring. I first tried processing a Raw file through LrC which had not gone through Topaz Photo Ai - there were no issues with the exported Jpeg. I use Topaz Photo Ai often on high ISO files this program was updated at around the same time as LrC 13.2. The updated programe has a section as screen print above which had the "Use Adobe DNG SDK for export" turned on. I turned this off to test if it made any difference with the Jpeg export from a processed DNG file through LrC 13.2 and all the Metadata was intact. I have now raised this as a bug with Topaz and wait on their advice before reporting back to this page.

regards and thanks for all the detailed responses.

Kevin Prideaux

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another person also recently reported that DNGs made by Topaz had issues with metadata in exported JPEGs. In that case, it appeared to be a bug in LR rather than Topaz. To help Adobe verify, please upload a problem DNG to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here. Only then can we determine whether to merge into the existing LR bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding - I have attached a Google Drive link below.

Link 

regards

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your sample DNG, it's the same issue as in the previous report. LR recognizes the EXIF fields in the imported DNG but doesn't export them to JPEGs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate