• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move and copy are grayed out, only add is available

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import pictures from one external drive to the main external drive where I store pictures. The copy and move options are grayed out. Both LR and the macOS 

screenshot_48.jpg

The only reason that I can think of is that the drive I'm trying to copy the files to has ~20GB of free space while the drive that I'm trying to copy the files from has about ~50GB of files but the import will only copy ~8GB of files.

screenshot_49.jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greyed out thumbnails might suggest that these photos are already in the catalog, result being that you cannot use the Import dialog for these photos a second time.

If you want them on a different drive you would drag & drop them in the Folder panel of Lr-Classic. See this blog article-

MOVING PHOTOS- 2 Methods

Also I would consider your 'Free space' to be very low for LrC purposes!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I know that there are a lot of photos that are already imported and are grayed out. There are actually over 5k that is already in the catalog which is why I'm trying to copy/move them to the other drive so I si not have to try and manually delete the duplicate files. If I just do an add there's no way that I know of too easily find the duplicates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving files to a new drive and importing images are two very different tasks that serve two very different purposes. To move the already imported files to a new drive, see option 2 in the link from Rob's message above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to import and move the pictures from one drive to another like a regular import like from a camera memory card. The options for 'Copy as DNG', 'Copy', and 'Move' are grayed out and the only option is to Add. The problem with just selecting add is that there is no easy way to separate the files that have already been imported from those that are already in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe both @Rob_Cullen and @ManiacJoe are missing the point, because your screenshot shows a lots of images already in the catalog. That has nothing to do with the problem, however. The problem seems to be lack of access to the desired destination drive.

There may be a permissions problem. Apple changed the security requirements in MacOS Monterey. Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic and Photoshop to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic and/or Photoshop if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox. See also Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines