Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving dng files from laptop to desktop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Lightroom Classic, and I am using the Windows 10 OS.  I have imported fles as dng to my laptop.  I'm trying to move the edited files from the laptop to my desktop after our vacation.  I can move the dng files, but none of the edits are present in my desktop, also a Windows OS machine.  I just used explorer to move the imported folder of photos, and imported them into LR Classic.  I know I can export as a catalog, but I don't want multiple catalogs to deal with since I prefer "collections." 

I thought dng files stored metadata and edits within the image file, so why aren't the edits read from my desktop computer?

TIA

ps.  I tried to search, but the forum only shows answers 6, 8, and 12 years old.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

The result you are seeking can vary dependent on preferences set in the Catalog Settings window.

In the Metadata tab, what have you set there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result you are seeking can vary dependent on preferences set in the Catalog Settings window.

In the Metadata tab, what have you set there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, Tony.  However, I wonder if I found it in the photo tab.  I clicked on "Read metadata from files," and I think it's updating the metadata (lots of files).  I see some of my ratings popping up.  I though it would have read the metadata automatically, but I guess I should always click that.

Thanks, again.  I think we can set this as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're happy with that as a correct solution . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I think so.  Whenever I've edited in the field before now, it was with a poor laptop and I didn't trust the edits--more of a backup than a editing tool.  This new laptop is pretty capable, and I trust it more.  So, this is the first time I actually wanted the metadata to copy over.  I deleted all the files--too many trials/errors.  I'm reloading the images, and I'll try the "read metadata" thing and see how it goes.   Should be fine, though.

Thanks again,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom doesn't store edits in the file unless you check that option in Preferences (which will slow Lr down a bit). By default all edits are stored in the catalog only.

Aside from the global setting you can "save metadata to file" individually, shortcut ctrl S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines