Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Moving files best practice?

Participant ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mistakenly had a fair number of image on an external drive that I needed to relocate.

I know that I have to do any movement within LR manager, but realized there are a few options anad wondering whihc, if any, are the best practices?

I did try moving the entire top level directly (6k+) and LR did not like that very much, so Ihave reverted to moving one directlry at a time. It seems you could do one of the following:

1. Export the images at original quality and then import them to the correct directory/volume

2. Move the images via the file manager

3. Move the images using the Finder (MacOS) and then use the "Update Folder" to redirect back in LR

I am currently using the file manager, but like I said, it does not like huge transfer and I am doing it one folder at a time whihc seems to work, except when my computer goes to sleep it craps out.

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally speaking, you will find copying many images with the file manager simply works better than moving them. Only for small numbers, e.g. a few images found to have have been misfiled, will carrying out moves within the LrC Folders panel be appropriate IMO. A bulk copy is quicker in practice but also safer in principle than a bulk move is.

And subsequently re-addressing one whole parent folder with all its contents, is much more efficient than having LrC readdress thousands of individual images one at a time as it transfers them each to its new storage location.

If you have done the copy as a bulk operation using Finder, as a Copy, the LrC Catalog will continue referring successfully to the starting images where they are. If that was done as a Move then it will not be able to continue to refer to those... no matter, either way. You can readdress the whole lot in a single go provided one key parent folder has been transferred, with identical folder structure inside. Once this readdressing is known to be successful, (if this was a copy) you can clean out the unneeded, and now un-used, images from the starting location.

No such bulk operation should IMO be contemplated though, unless both a separate files backup and a separate catalog backup are safely in place.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not import, you will loose all edits.

At this point, move them into proper folders, using folder structure the were originally in, the in LrC update the folder location.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part 2 — Updating Folder Location from these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please see my suggestions at the below link concering mpving image files and folders from outside of LrC.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/how-do-i-move-my-pictures-to-external-hard-drive/m-...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines