Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

moving from classic to cloud-based AND from PC to Mac

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am considering switching from Windows to MacOS.  My LR vernacular isn't great, but here's my question:

1). Is it possible to move my current LR library from LR 6.14 Windows-based to LR Cloud MacOS?  

2). If I stay on Windows, how difficult to move my LR library from LR 6.14 to LR Cloud for Windows?

Thank you for any feedback.  Robert

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom (cloud) it doesn't matter if you use Windows or Mac. Everything is stored in a cloud. You simply sign in to your account on either computer and you will see your images.

However, migrating your content from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom could be a bigger challenge depending on how many images you have, and what features you depend on. Are you currently using Lightroom Classic? If so you may want to stick with Classic. I'm pretty sure you can open your Windows catalog with Lightroom Classic on a Mac. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will jump in here and confirm it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you Teresa.  Much appreciated.
Happy holidays.
Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can migrate a Catalog from versions of Lightroom  v6.14 (Perpetual) > v12.01 (Classic).

Consider that you may only have 20GB of Cloud storage space (Depending on the Plan you subscribe to). How much space do your photo files occupy locally?

Consider also that many Lightroom Classic features don’t exist in Lightroom-'Cloudy v6' . Some of the data gets transferred, and some information doesn’t transfer.
Data that doesn’t transfer to the Lightroom database includes:
• Folders and folder hierarchy (but you can convert to collections before migrating, which become albums in Lightroom).
• Develop History
• Snapshots
• Creations (books, slideshows, prints and web galleries).
• Smart collections.
• Color labels become keywords.
• Virtual copies become real copies.
• Collection sets become album folders.
• Collections become albums.

I am with @Theresa J  here- "you may want to stick with Classic.".!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines