• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My low resolution photos

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need advice on fixing a blurry portrait photos. I don't know how much amount, radius and detail or masking to edit. I have even tried the alt key when doing it. When we go to print the photos from a lab, it shows on the screen that they are low resolution and they print ugly. please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Blurry images will not lead to pixelated prints.

If you see pixelation in the prints, you have either exported with a low jpg quality setting (use 100), and/or reduced the size of the image. Make sure that Resize to fit under Image sizing in the Export dialog is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or something else?

(You've [inadvertently, I assume] posted this in The Lounge​ which is not for product support. If you let us know what software you're using, a moderator can move this thread to the appropriate, software-specific, support forum.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the photos are out of focus or blurry because of camera shake, Lightroom cannot correct for that, and I don't think there is any program that will do that. (although Photosop has a Shake reduction filter, which I haven't tried)

You say the photos are low resolution - what are the pixel dimensions?

If you post one of the photos here, maybe somebody can offer some suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_9962.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its fuzzy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is a little soft, but not all that bad, I think. The sharpest part is the near part of the brick wall, so it seems to be a focusing error, rather than camera shake.

It does improve a little with sharpening, see the screenshot below, which is at 1:1, and you can also see the sharpening settings.

I suspect that the image has also been sharpened in camera, which calls for careful sharpening in LR.

It's best to turn off sharpening in the camera, and sharpen in LR, where you have more control.

And always apply and evaluate sharpening at 1:1 view - amy other view will be inaccurate and misleading because of image scaling.

The image is not low resolution at all - it's 3456 x 5184 pixels, which will allow for an 11 x 17 inch print at 300 ppi.

Are you exporting from Lightroom with Resize to fit checked in the Export dialog?

portrait.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason of why i am redoing these photos is because they print with big pixels because they are blurry photos. Is that right? i normally select the glossy paper with high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurry images will not lead to pixelated prints.

If you see pixelation in the prints, you have either exported with a low jpg quality setting (use 100), and/or reduced the size of the image. Make sure that Resize to fit under Image sizing in the Export dialog is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is too just like the others that you are accidentally downsizing the images upon export. You might also be using an online service that downscales files you upload. Several services do this leading to terrible results for anything bigger than a 4x6 print. Usually there is a setting somewhere in the uploader that "optimizes" uploads or some such. Make sure these are set to not touch your files.

I have a slightly different approach to get the best prints than Per but the bottom line is that you need to get files out in good enough resolution for printing. I actually do rescale but I rescale to the actual printed size at a resolution of 300 ppi and apply output sharpening.  Interestingly this leads to perceptually sharper pictures than not rescaling and doing output sharpening at the native image size even if in the process you downscaled. Also in my opinion there is no need to go higher than about 90% in jpeg quality. No human being is able to see the difference above that anymore in prints (I tested) but it does save you at least a factor of 2 in file size reducing your upload time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melissaj56941518 wrote:

The reason of why i am redoing these photos is because they print with big pixels because they are blurry photos. Is that right? i normally select the glossy paper with high.

I don't think this is right. How are you printing? Inside of Lightroom, or by exporting from Lightroom and then using some commercial service? Please explain.

Also, what size, in inches or centimeters (width and height) is the paper you are printing on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be user error, or it is also possible that the camera front-focuses by itself (although it's more common to see back-focus). Here is a solution to front-focus and back-focus. Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s Autofocus Test Chart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know what resolution the images are such as 2400 x3600 pixels and what print size you are trying to make. It would also help to know how these files were created (i.e. camera model, scanner, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennycaa, thank you for sharing the Adobe official tutorial. I tried and it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines