• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New 4K monitor causes Lightroom and Photoshop to be laggy and slow, makes menus flicker

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I recently started to use a new 4K Samsung TV which caused the Adobe Suite to show some crippling display issues.
Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Photoshop (25.5) are now really slow when I move around the canvas, when I zoom in and out using keyboard shortcuts or by clicking on the navigation display up in the left corner. Menus are also lightly flickering, and overall any process is laggy or annoyingly slower than before. I never had this problems before with neither the plasma screen I temporarily used nor the HD 1K TV the first one replaced. Weirdly enough, when it doesn't display right away what I just did, using ALT+TAB twice to come back on Photoshop/Lightroom sort of refreshes its display and finally shows the modification I made.

I run Windows 10 Professionnel (22H2, 19045.4046) on an i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz Intel Core, with 20 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Some clarifications:

- I already searched solutions and fixes thoroughly: most of what's out there is related to UI scale issues and blacked out / flickering canvas. I do not experience any of these issues.

- I have all of my Nvidia drivers up to date (551.61; 02/22/2024 version)
- I know it is related to the new 4K TV itself because I switched back to the plasma one then the problems disappeared.
- It's not cables or anything like that because I only experience this issue with Adobe Suite programs.
- I already try to switch back to a 1920*1080 resolution on the 4K TV, which worked but obviously made everything look really soapy. It is sadly rather counterproductive when I edit my pictures.

I have seen plenty of threads, posts and videos explaining why 4K TVs and Adobe are not working well together. Yet, my friends do not experience any of the aforementioned issues while also having 4k setups. Also, this thread seemed to offer a solution to my problem, but the settings list displayed in the screenshots do not appear in the same way in my own Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe that's because this 4 years old thread is now out dated. Or because my setup is in French causing some losses in the settings' translation: but even after trying to find that "fixed refresh" option in every single scrolling menu avaible, I could not get my hand on it.
I then scrolled down to other comments: one offered to deactivate the V-Sync in my Nvidia Control Panel, but it also didn't do anything. Worth to mention my Nvidia Control Panel doesn't show any G-Sync setting, so that fix is also not an option for me.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a fix? Or is there something I am missing out here?

Thanks to all!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K monitors put stress on the hardware. Your Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 probably isn't powerful enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think that it'd be my GPU not being up to the task when I experience menu flickering as soon as open a file?

As I explained, I only experience this with the Adobe Suite softwares: no problems while playing 3D video games, or extensively using other editing softwares such as DV Resolve. I am not sure keeping the edit menu open is more demanding than running Baldur's Gate 3 in 4K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4k should not be much of a problem at all. At worst it makes adjustments a bit slow. I've been editing on 4k and higher screens for a long time. At worst it makes the updates when moving sliders a bit laggy. So it is possible (I am not an expert on GPU cards on windows) that your GPU is just underpowered for moving that many pixels and running the camera raw code on the GPU too as it does nowadays. Are you running this screen with HDR enabled in windows? Might make sense to turn that off to test. Does it do this with other HDMI cables? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I can follow you here.
If that was the HDMI cable why would only the Adobe Suite be displaying such issues?
Also given that my GPU can support heavy 3D video games without any issues (Baldur's Gate 3 ect) would Lightroom be suffering from flickering menus as soon as it opens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flickering due to HDMI cables is quite common if you are running the screen in 4k and HDR mode. Many cables simply don't have the bandwidth and can cause these issues. You might not see that in games. 

Doing a bit of research, this GPU is from 2016 and probably indeed outdated by now. Lightroom very heavily uses these cards. Heavier than most 3D games surprisingly. Also, I understand there are different drivers for these cards and for Lightroom, you want the studio drivers, not the gaming drivers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut out as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs and it takes up vast amounts of scroll space making the reply less readable and less likely that others will bother with your post.

example: deleted to save space 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here are the specs according to LrC (it's in French but the lines match yours in case of anything):

Version Lightroom Classic: 13.2 [ 202402141005-bf1aeb84 ]
Licence: Creative Cloud
Paramètre de langue: fr
Système d'exploitation : Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version : 10.0.19045
Architecture de l'application : x64
Architecture du système : x64
Nombre de processeurs logiques: 12
Vitesse du processeur : 2,9Ghz
Version SQLite: 3.36.0
Utilisation du CPU: 6,0%
Mémoire intégrée : 20388,2 Mo
Mémoire GPU dédiée utilisée par Lightroom: 1131,5Mo / 6029,0Mo (18%)
Mémoire réelle disponible pour Lightroom : 20388,2 Mo
Mémoire réelle utilisée par Lightroom : 2130,1 Mo (10,4%)
Mémoire virtuelle utilisée par Lightroom : 3725,5 Mo
Nombre d'objets GDI : 732
Nombre d'objets utilisateur : 2354
Nombre de processus gérés : 2158
Taille de la mémoire cache : 271,0Mo
Version interne de Camera Raw: 16.2 [ 1763 ]
Nombre maximal de liens utilisé par Camera Raw : 5
Optimisation SIMD de Camera Raw : SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Mémoire virtuelle de Camera Raw: 561Mo / 10194Mo (5%)
Mémoire réelle de Camera Raw: 583Mo / 20388Mo (2%)

Cache1:
Preview1- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, IMG_2971.CR2
Preview2- RAM:87,0MB, VRAM:275,0MB, IMG_2963.psd
NT- RAM:109,0MB, VRAM:275,0MB, Combined:384,0MB

Cache2:
final1- RAM:205,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, IMG_2971.CR2
final2- RAM:242,0MB, VRAM:13,0MB, IMG_2963.psd
T- RAM:447,0MB, VRAM:13,0MB, Combined:460,0MB

Cache3:
m:271,0Mo, n:71,0Mo

U-main: 103,0Mo

Paramètre PPP du système : 96 PPP
Composition sur le Bureau activée: Oui
Taille d’aperçu standard: 1920 pixels
Affichages : 1) 1920x1080
Types d'entrée: Tactile multipoint : Non, Tactile intégré : Non, Plume intégrée : Non, Tactile externe : Non, Plume externe : Non, Clavier : Non

Informations relatives au processeur graphique :
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (31.0.15.5161)
État initial: GPU pour le traitement d'image pris en charge par défaut
Préférence utilisateur: Auto

Dossier de l'application : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Chemin d'accès à la bibliothèque : D:\COCO\Images\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-v13.lrcat
Dossier des paramètres : C:\Users\coren\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Modules installés :
1) Adobe Stock
2) Flickr
3) Module externe de prise de vue en mode connecté Nikon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all of my Nvidia drivers up to date (551.61; 02/22/2024 version)

When you updated that GPU driver, did you select Custom for install type as to force a clean install (preferred)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K Samsung TV

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I think that GPU has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 3 DP on it. And I assume the TV has a HDMI to connect with.

So, are you connecting any of the DP or (extremely unlikely) the DVI ports to anything?

Oh, and you are connection the TV to the GPU mt the MB, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines