• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numerous sub folders are suddenly missing in Lightroom Classic [SOLVED]

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my catalog, I have a folder for each year with sub folders underneath of my different photo projects.  Today I noticed that for the year of 2017 I am only showing 6 folders in LRC of the actual 86 total folders under it in that folder on my hard drive.  This apparently happened recently.

How do I get all 86 of the subfolders under the folder 2017 on the hard drive to show back up and be available in Lightroom Classic?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @tonymuffin. I'll help you figure this out. What version of Lightroom Classic & the operating system are you working on? Have you recently moved your image or image folders on the hard drive?

Just to be sure you're in the right catalog database, try searching for .lrcat in the file explorer to list down all the catalogs on your machine. Arrange the search results by modified date and check if you're in your primary catalog or a backup catalog.

In the Library Module, you can go to Library Menu (Main menu) > Find All Missing Photos to refresh Lightroom's database of missing files & relinking these missing items may restore the folders that are missing.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sameer K,  I am running the latest version of LRC and Windows 11.  I have not moved any of the images or image folder from the hard drive.  I am in the correct primary catalog.  I will try your suggestion regarding Find All Missing Photos and let you know the results.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  trying Find All Missing Photos didn't work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming this. If you've tried what our fellow Experts & Legends have suggested. You can try merging the current catalog to a new catalog.

Go to File > New Catalog & in the new Catalog > Go to File > Import catalog & merge the empty catalog with the catalog in question.

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for one or more of the photos in those folders in LrC, following all 4 of these steps:

1. In the Lightroom Classic Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Classic Filter Bar

If you find one or more of these photos, then it was imported into the "wrong" folder, and we can help you move it to where you want it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect!  The image sub folders have been their prior under 2017.  I've not done any importing and as such have not imported anything to the wrong folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone accidentally clicks in the wrong spot from time to time. Things get moved accidentally. Please check via the procedure I stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Folders Panel, do you see any parent folder that the sub folder should be under?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD  Yes.  I believe I stated that in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Now some members may yell back, NO NO do not do that,.
  • Also, please note, I and most of your fellow members are not Adobe Techs, and are recommendations can be very wrong.
  • You might want to wait for reply's by other members, especially by the one Adobe Tech that replied, before trying the following.

consider the following:

1. Read the link at the bottom, the warning.
  2. Make sure you have a backup of your catalog.
  3. In the Folders panel, right click on the parent folder, and select Synchronize Folder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHD9LrZ7pew

BUT, ALSO SEE:

The Dangers of Synchronize Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is well now.  I created a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't "fix" anything - it's like saying that you fixed a problem with your old car by buying a new car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Keith Reeder It indeed fixed the issue... all is well as I stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is well now.  I created a new catalog.

By @tonymuffin

All is well, unless you rely on information that will not transfer when you craete a new catalog. Things like collections, flags, virtual copies and history of edits (plus a few other things that I don't remember now). And if you don't do things right, maybe your edits and user-created metadata will not transfer either.

So for anyone else reading along, creating a new catalog is not recommended for the above reasons. Fixing the existing catalog is recommended, you will not lose any infomration that is already in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige  All is well....as I stated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines