Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom 6

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed LR 6 on new machine. I can't activate it unless deactivated on other machine. So on other machine I did "Sign out". There is a message - "it will deactivate LR on this machine" - I clicked OK. Still can't activate. On my Adobe account there is nothing under Plans and payment->Activated devices.

So haw can I use a product on new machine? I know LR 6 is quite old, but still it is something I purchuased and I want to use.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Adobe no longer supports Lightroom 6.14 (perpetual).

What does this mean?

• Installers, one-on-one technical support, security fixes, and bug fixes are not available for perpetual license versions. User to user led support is available through our Adobe Support Community.

For the latest updates and fixes please subscribe to a Photography, Lightroom, or Creative Cloud plan. Please be aware that there are two versions of Lightroom today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

This is a reminder that the Download Availability for Lightroom 6.14 is fast approaching. Please be sure to download it before December 31, 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 508 Replies 508
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually what you need to do is sign out of creative cloud in the creative cloud app. Reboot the computer and open creative cloud again and sign back in. Then open Lightroom or Photoshop from the creative cloud app instead of from the taskbar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by @DdeGannes -Have you recently changed any of the main hardware components on one of your installations so Adobe thinks it is a new unit?

I recently experienced this with a change of motherboard after one failed! (Adobe thinks the same desktop machine is two computers)

When you see the Adobe Activation message- click the buttons to Sign-Out of everything then -

As stated by @Jao vdL Sign-In with the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, prior to this new desktop, I had only used it on the laptop. These issues started as soon as I installed them on my new desktop. No components were changed, I just added a 2nd computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure I've tried signing out of the Creative Cloud Desktop App on both machines (I've tried so many fixes, I forget) but I will try it once more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug in Adobe's activation system, and I have also been experiencing the same thing for a couple of years. I've reported the problem directly to contacts at Adobe, but it's not been fixed.

What's happening is that Adobe is failing to recognize that (from the first screenshot) This Device is in fact your Asus-Laptop. So select Asus-Laptop, sign out, and you'll be able to continue for a while until you have to repeat this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's rather infuriating isn't it. There's a definite flaw in the system, but I guess if there's not enough people with the issue then they're unlikely to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big worry is that at some point it may not be as simple as just signing out. But I've been running into this problem for a couple of years, at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you deactivate a stand alone version of LR 6 on a computer so you can get it activated on another computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the menu command Help->Sign Out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my computer was destroy, I can't do this. Any another solution?

Skibbbi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Skibbbi,

You may contact the customer care team and they should be able to help you out: Contact Customer Care

Regards

Tanuj Sandal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to sell my Lightroom 2.3 software on Ebay and need to make sure it has been completely deactivated from my PC's so the buyer can successfully intall it on his computers. How do I deactivate Lightroom 2.3? I can't find the deactivate button anywhere from inside the Lightroom 2.3 program. Does uninstalling the software automatically deactivate it?

My Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite 4 does have a deactivate button inside the program and I know that uninstalling alone will not deactivate.  Does Lightroom 2.3 work differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There never was any activation or de-activation of Lightroom 2. So you don't need to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no activation process for Lightroom 2. Uninstalling the program is all that is necessary. That version is so old and outdated that you will be fortunate to find someone to purchase it, in my opinion. I will provide you a link to instructions on what is necessary to transfer a license for Adobe software. Good luck.

Transfer an Adobe product license

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon reading your linked info, it appears that education versions of Lightroom (like mine) cannot have the license ownership transferred.  Darn. On second thought...

Although Adobe will not re-register the educational license key to the Ebay buyer's name, at least the buyer will be able to use it since Adobe does not track or limit the number of installations with this ancient product. Is that true?

When I unistalled Lightroom 2.3 from my computer (I've moved on to CC), did Adobe get automatically notified via the internet that I unistalled it?  Does Adobe keep track of every computer that Lightroom 2.3 is currently installed on? Or does Adobe only keep track of who's registered to that license? I don't want anything to blow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Adobe will not re-register the educational license key to the Ebay buyer's name, at least the buyer will be able to use it since Adobe does not track or limit the number of installations with this ancient product. Is that true?

Perhaps but you will be in breach of the license agreement in selling. It's not yours to sell. You should make the buyer aware of that. i.e. they cannot register it in their own name.

When I unistalled Lightroom 2.3 from my computer (I've moved on to CC), did Adobe get automatically notified via the internet that I unistalled it?  Does Adobe keep track of every computer that Lightroom 2.3 is currently installed on? Or does Adobe only keep track of who's registered to that license? I don't want anything to blow up.

No, Adobe only tracks serial numbers and which Adobe ID they are registered to. They have no idea which specific machines the software is installed on. They tried that in the early days of activation technology but it became a monster when people were swapping out hard drives and other peripherals and being denied activation of their software.

You can have Adobe software installed on as many computers as you like. Adobe introduced activation to try and enforce the license agreement and prevent casual piracy (such as the scenario you have in mind). Without activation, there's not much Adobe can do although they could still perhaps block the serial number when the buyer tries to enter the software on their computer. Not sure they'd be interested for an ancient version like LR 2.3 though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know selling was not allowed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Lightroom are you currently using? If it’s an upgrade from version 2.3 then you cannot sell 2.3.

If you’re running a full perpetual version or Cloud version then no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ten years old software that won't run on many computers and for any camera less than ten years old won't convert Raw unless used in tandem with the DNG Converter. Great deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. All license considerations aside, Lightroom 2 is a useless piece of junk today. You'll be lucky to find someone who will take it for free.

Sorry, but that's the reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 5 installed on Win. 7. I have been having issues with the hard drive and need to replace it, and reinstall Windows and Lightroom.  I have deactivated the license for Photoshop.  How do I do this for Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no activation mechanism in Lightroom 5 or earlier. Activation was first introduced in Lightroom 6.

Just uninstall LR5 then reinstall and enter your serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller said:

There was no activation mechanism in Lightroom 5 or earlier. Activation was first introduced in Lightroom 6.

=======================

I know this is old, but how is this possible?  I mean...I've been trying to downgrade from 5.7.1, which I didn't know it required a "cloud" service when I purchased it off Amazon.  I've already registered my LR, and shows under my Adobe account.

I still have my 5.4 on a separate attached drive.  I just haven't used it for quite some time for technical hardware reasons I won't go into.

In trying to use either  versions LR automatically begins the license and registration process.  There's some kind of weird error message that comes up, something about moving packets or something, but the license is entered fine to use LR.

However, when I quit to test if LR is working from start to end to start - LR instead begins with the same registration, licensing process at startup.

(Q)   Anyway... if this statement is true - then why is Adobe's registration process /system and software doing all this to me within  LR 5.4 and LR 5.7.1 ?

(Q)  AND WHY... is it doing every time at start up.  There must be a registration plugin that's now starting up in BOTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registration and activation are two completely different processes.

Registration links the software to your Adobe ID.

Activation enables the registered software to be used on a given computer, provided you don't already have the same software activated on two other computers. If so, you deactivate one on another computer to free up an activation. It's Adobe's way of enforcing the license agreement.

However, activation was introduced in Lightroom 6. So that does not apply to your case. You seem to be stuck in some kind of registration loop.

There's some kind of weird error message that comes up, something about moving packets or something,

It would be very helpful if you could post a screenshot of that error here so we can see exactly what that error message says. It may hold all the clues about what to do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know the registration and license are two separate processes.

I don't think a person even has to register it with Adobe, at least most  (hardware /software /etc) don't require a registration. Here are some screen shots for reference, including error message near end.

a 2.png

a 3.png

The following error is what pops up after I've hit "FINISH" in the license process.  I have tried to register as well, but recall, and saw on my adobe profile I had in fact already saw I had registered it with AdobeThis happens when I try to use LR 5.4 

a error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines