• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: All history lost when upgrading catalog

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I updated to LR 12 classic this morning. After it converted my catalog, it crashed stating that the catalog was corrupt. It then repaired it. It then crashed again, stating that the catalog was corrupt.

The first corrupt catalog is 1.6GB. The second is 1.2GB.

It then repaired it again. This final catalog is 300MB and contains zero history. The photos are in their last edited state, but I can not go back to previous steps nor copy settings to another file.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At KR Seals, fine I understand now. Reimporting would not solved his problem and would have caused more problems. Also I could not understand how he had access to a virtual copy and did not have access to the original with the prior history.

That is why I provided the info so he could rethink how he would solve his problem.

Turns out his problem was most unusual.

No ofence intended.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Misunderstanding, I should have said that without re-importing the original file, which is easy enough I couldn't re-edit!! It's obvious that the original file would have no edits attached!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem! Is there a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as of yet. I've provided my catalog for them to review, and they have some questions but I'm away from home until Sunday so I can't answer yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when editing a photo after the recent upgrade that previous history is not reflected. I can see the masks that I built, but not any of the edits I did to them. I cannot go back and click on import or see how i got the image to where it is. New edits populate the history panel, but I can see no way to go back to the original.

See screenshot. Upper right shows the masks I built previously. Lower left shows where the history starts today after I upgraded. Yes, history is scrolled completely to the bottom.

This is a big flaw.

Oh and it is SLOW and has crashed and corrupted my catalog twice.  I've rolled back to v11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's the exact behavior I experienced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also rolled back to 11.5, as I coundn't work with v12 (data missing and multiple "database curruption"-crashes.)

Now I have my history back, and everything looks fine. Database check showed no errors. 

I hope there will be a fix for this, but the new version 12.01 doesn't seem to adress this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. 12.01 automatically installed so I tried again, and got the same behavior. Interestingly, the first time it opened, everything looked good - I had all my history. Then it crashed.

01.png

Then it required a catalog check.

02.png

Then it decided it was corrupt.

03.png

And finally after repair it opened, with less history.

Then it crashed again, the process repeated, and I had zero history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what's going on.

I updated my Lightroom Classic to the new 12.0.1 version. It said it would need to upgrade my catalog - which I did.

I am on MacOS Big Sur 11.7 , Macbook Pro

Now all my photo edit histories are gone. The images still appear in the catalog however I edited them last (have attached a screenshot where you can see I have edit the image to BW but shows no history for my editing), but I can't step back and look at the edit history of the photos (ie: see what steps I had taken to edit, or step back a few etc). The history shows no adjustments. The only option I can do is reset - which just goes back to the Raw.

Is there anything I can do to get the edit history details back for my images?

Thanks in adavance

Hannah

[moved from bugs to discussions - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When lightroom upgrades a catalog it will make a new file. You can open your v11 catalogue still by going to the location where it is saved. It will still be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 9.07.01 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

When I try to open v11 - it only gives me the option to either open the newer upgraded catalog, or to upgrade again.

Any advice?
Have added a screen shot too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah!

Thanks for the reply here. Sorry to hear that's being a pain. I did some more digging and it seems that other users are having problems from upgrading their catalogues from 11 to 12 like you. 

Catalog missing information after upgrade to Light... - Adobe Support Community - 9533869

Light room 12 will force you to upgrade your catalog, you can try to upgrade the old one again and see if that fixes it but I would not be hopeful if it didn't work the first time. You can also roll back your lightroom install to 11 again and use that if you need lightroom immediately with your history. You can do that by opening creative cloud, scrolling to LrC and selecting the 3 ellipses and choose "Other versions".

Chris486_0-1667354499850.png

This will let you install 11.5 again and use your old v11 catalogue .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you decide to roll back your lightroom install, I would also recommend to open your creative cloud and goto "preferences" then select apps and turn off auto update for at least lightroom classic.

Chris486_0-1667354700417.png

This will keep v12 from auto installing again unexpectidly while the issue gets worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing thread about upgrading losing history:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-all-history-lost-when-upgrading-catal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up just rolling mine back to 11. That's a big bug and needs to be addressed before I upgrade (again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new development. When I launch a LR11.5, it tries to upgrade the catalog to V12 despite V12 not being installed. What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling and reinstalling 11.5 solved that for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress looking into this? It appears to be a somewhat common problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also wondering, if Adobe is aware of this bug and trying to fix it in future versions? 

This thread is sorted under "discussions", not under "bugs", so I'm not sure if Adobe recognises this issue as a bug. Maybe someone has to write a bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you review the thread, you will see that LrC engineers are active on the thread. 

We have not been able to produce this internally and the team is collecting information from some of the earlier reporters.  If confirmed as a bug, it will be moved to the bug section. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

If you need another LR-catalog for the research, I could provide another one, having the same problems as hypcx. Upgrading to LR 12 seems currently not possible without an database crash and data loss. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team continues to look for sets of catalogs containing:

1. Pre update catalog with history intact.
  2. Upgrade of this catalog showing missing history. 

If you have that set of catalogs available, we'd love to collect a couple of examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a backup of my intact LR 11.5 catalog (1,9 GB)  and two versions of the LR 12 catalog (1,5 GB) with missing data. (i tried the upgrade two times, with the same "data currupion" problems, so two versions.)

I also have a folder "Beschädigte Kataloge" (= damaged catalogs) on my drive, with 4 versions of damaged LR12 catalogs, seems that LR created them while repairing the catalog. 

If you want, I can upload these files (or some of them) somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is needed is:

A Single instance of your Pre-update catalog (.lrcat file only) and a single instance of a post update catalog. Neither should have undergone a repair.  The two files should be zipped into a single file and posted to Creative Cloud Folders/Dropbox/ or similar.  Once they are uploaded to the cloud and ready to share I will contact you for a link.  @HolgerD 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines