Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Changes to Metadata Panel for targeting one or many images

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 11.0, MacOS 11.6.

I select several images in the grid view. Edit the location info in the Image section. The metadata is only set on the 'most" selected image. It used to correctly set the data on all selected images.

This is a real problem for me. If I go out and shoot a few hundred images, now I have to edit each one individually. Unacceptable.

I did not check to see if any other fields exhibit the same behavior. This was enough for me.

Is there another (reasonable) way to set the location os a set of images?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Changes were made to improve the Metadata Panel in 11.0. One of these changes is the ability to improve performance by chosing a mode for the behavior of the panel. 

At the top of the Metadata Panel is a new selection Targeted or Selected Photos. Do you have this set to Target?  Target only displays and affects metadata for the Targeted Photo (most selected). 

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.42.01 PM.png

The previous behavior 10.4 and earlier requires the Selected Photos to be the toggle choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 242 Replies 242
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes were made to improve the Metadata Panel in 11.0. One of these changes is the ability to improve performance by chosing a mode for the behavior of the panel. 

At the top of the Metadata Panel is a new selection Targeted or Selected Photos. Do you have this set to Target?  Target only displays and affects metadata for the Targeted Photo (most selected). 

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.42.01 PM.png

The previous behavior 10.4 and earlier requires the Selected Photos to be the toggle choice. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This obscure, unrecognized and difficult to see setting fixed my problem. 

Adobe: Why? You introduced a "fix" for a problem that did not exist and it caused me a lot of concern and wasted time. You didn't even default the setting to the original behavior. You also introduced 2 indistinct buttons in an area that never contained them before. It only had data entry fields, except for the Preset drop down that I only look at once a year. In my opinion this does not follow good UI principles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I'm just finding this thread two months later having lost hours that I spent setting metadata fields on a large number of photos only to discover that I was setting only the "target" photos. At the very least, the number of messages in this thread suggests that the UI design is problematic. Another piece of evidence: this strange selected/target toggle only applies to the metadata panel, not to keywords or comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option has always been present in LR, hidden under the menu item Metadata > Show Metadata For Target Photo Only.  LR 11 made that option more visible by adding Target Photo | Selected Photos to the Metadata panel (that was a good change). 

But Adobe botched the implementation of the upgrade, failing to copy the user's setting for the option from her previous configuration. If LR 11 had simply preserved the previous setting of the option, there would have been no confusion, and most users would remain blissfully unaware that the option even existed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, thank you! I've struggling with this for the last couple of hours, 1 google search and I found your answer here - problem solved! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Rikk, This Had Me Beat, I Did Not Notice The Update In The Metadata Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oodles of cool Metadata Updates 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed it to "selected photos" but the behavior is persisting. I even restarted LRC & then rebooted my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto sync got turned off. Issue fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works only in Grid view ("G"), not in Loupe view ("E"). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This comment above is critical! Loupe view *ignores* the thumbnails selected and only modifies the current photo, regardless of the target/selected setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Loupe view *ignores* the thumbnails selected and only modifies the current photo, regardless of the target/selected setting."

While that's a bad rule of thumb for common LR commands, it's more of a myth than reality.  LR's handling of multiple selected photos is an inconsistent mess:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-consistent-behavior-when-multiple-photos-se...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's as Rikk, has pointed out there are changes to the metadata workflow and it is indicated in the new features of the upgrade.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this is about Lightroom Classic 11.0 (just released, totally fresh LR catalog) on Windows 10. In the Metadata panel in the "Title/Headline" (?) field, i assign image titles to several selected pics at once.

But checking after the deed, only the first selected pic got the title. I know very well that until 3 days ago, you could select a string of pics and they ALL got the title i typed into the Metada panel.Tags and Descriptions can still be assigned to a whole string of selected pics (i tried), but the title is only applied to the first in the selection.

That's horrible. There may be an assumption that one title can only go into 1 pic, and the next pic needs another title. But if that was ever a thought at Adobe, it is not correct. I sometimes want to apply the same title to many pics - and now i cannot, even though i could before. And i want to use Lightroom in this case, not Bridge.

I don't see a preference option to change this behaviour.

Your take?

Thanks!

*sorry, am re-translating from non-English LRC version. I mean the Metadata panel with the input field "Title/Headline" (?) right UNDER the subheader "Content" (?), and right above the fields "Description" and then "IPTC Subject Code".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My complaint from above is cleared - i changed to "Selected photos" and was ok. I hadn't at all seen this, and it's greyed out when less than 2 pics are selected.

I understand the improvements that this new option "Targeted"/"Selected" brings, still it's tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who may still see inconsistent behavior with the Targeted vs Selected options, this new feature appears to work only in Grid view, not in Loupe.

So if you select multiple photos in Grid View, you can use the new options to view metadata on the Targeted Photo or on all Selected Photos.

But if you are in Loupe view, the metadata only shows the most selected photo even if you select several.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you are in Loupe view, the metadata only shows the most selected photo even if you select several.

Which is exactly how previous versions of Lightroom Classic handled Loupe view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a secondary window, one can be in Grid and one in Loupe view. That's how my copy is setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you use a secondary window, one can be in Grid and one in Loupe view."

Beware that the rules for multiple-photo selections are based on the primary display window, not the secondary.  For example, if you have the secondary display window open to grid view, select multiple photos, and type 5 (shortcut for setting 5 stars), only the most-selected photo is changed to 5 stars -- that's because Loupe view is open on the primary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh...thanks, was able to change multiple titles from within grid view (after thinking I was really misunderstanding something). Hopefully the folks at Adobe will see this and make it work regardless of view mode in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just installed latest version of Lightroom Classic (11.0) and all is working perfect but all of a sudden my legends stopped being recorded. I eddit my photos, sign the material and write all the legends but as soon as I export them to my hard drive in JPEG, no more legend and data. Signature, hashtags, legends, simply gone. Can anyone help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a different issue from that posted by the original Author.

It is better to start a new thread with an appropriate heading.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I just installed LrC v11 and was shocked that all Image Metadata (Exif, IPTC, XMP,...) are disappeared.
The corresponding fields are all empty!
I went back to Version 10.4 with old catalogue file and they showed up again. See screenshots.
Win10 Home build 19043 / LrC v11 german language
Please fix this since Metadata especially IPTC Caption is the most important part for professional photo journalists.
See Screenshots:
Version V11
Metadata_field v11.PNGMetadata_field v10_4.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines