• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Computer crashes/Shuts down while using Denoise

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anybody else having an issue with ACR / Lightroom new AI Denoise - just shuting down your computer [ like someone just unplugged it from the wall - shut down ]?  Everytime I go to apply the NEW AI Denoise in ACR - or lightroom - the computer just turns off. 

2019 27" iMAC 12.6.5  running 64GB Ram

Adobe apps all up to date - 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my System Info from Lightroom.

Lightroom Classic version: 12.3 [ 202304101834-a085245c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.6.5 [21G531]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.5GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 196,608.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 196,608.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 7,525.7 MB (3.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 53,697.4 MB
Memory cache size: 719.7MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.3 [ 1451 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2893MB / 98303MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2993MB / 196608MB (1%)
Standard Preview Size: 2880 pixels
Displays: 1) 6016x3384, 2) 6016x3384

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580X
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Volumes/LIGHTROOM 14 TB WD/Photo Library Lightroom2/Lightroom 5 Catalog/Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/jonholcombe/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Luminar 2018
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Mac Pro fans started to roar about 1/3 of the way through processing the DNG and the Mac did a hard shut down

Most likely cause is that there was excess heat caused by the Ddenoise operation making heavy use of the GPU, and your computer overheated and shut down. Make sure that the cooling system is working properly, and case vents are not blocked by dust or by furniture or by a wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cooling system has always worked properly and 30 years with a bunch of Macs this has never happened.

The are a number of Windows and Mac people complaining of exactly the same issue.

I will blow it out but extremely doubtful that is the issue.

I have never heard the fans blowing until I ran the Denoise operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denoise can use the GPU more intensively, at near 100%, for much longer than any other commnly used app, and as a rule, the older the card, the longer Denoise takes (30 seconds to many minutes).  To see this quantitatively, in Activity Monitor, do the menu command Window > GPU History and then invoke Denoise.

GPUs can use roughly the power as CPUs.  So it's not surprising that using Denoise might uncover a problem that's been there for a while.

You can determine authoritatively whether the computer is overheating by running the free Intel Power Gadget:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html

Note that LR's AI commands do not obey the setting of Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-users-to-disable-the-gpu-for-ai-maski...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed Power Gadget but I am not sure how to read it or what exactly it is describing. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 7.18.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely vacuumed the dust of the fans-and intake grid and Denoise worked perfectly. Thank you the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed Power Gadget but I am not sure how to read it or what exactly it is describing.

By @jonholcombe

Sounds like you solved your problem by cleaning the cooling system, but I never answered this question so: At the moment you took the screen shot of Intel Power Gadget, it was measuring total system power usage of just under 40 watts, based on the top graph. I am guessing the system was more or less idle at that time.

If you were still having a problem, what you would want to do is note the watts used in the top graph at the time AI Denoise was running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cooling system has always worked properly and 30 years with a bunch of Macs this has never happened.

By @jonholcombe

Because hardward has always worked without problem in the past does not mean that it will work properly today or tomorrow or under new more stressful situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I vacuumed the fan intake and Denoise worked perfectly. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 

It crashes the system entirely after some denoise work and restarts and comes back again as nothing happened...

but that also happend with DXO pure Raw with an older card AMD Radeon 480RX (  I have a BOX)

somehow it would be nice to run denoise at less than 100% so i can avoid this problem if it is GPU overheating....

Besturingssysteem: Mac OS 12
Versie: 12.6.5 [21G531]
Toepassingsarchitectuur: x64
Aantal logische processors: 20
Processorsnelheid: 3,3GHz
SQLite-versie: 3.36.0
Ingebouwd geheugen: 131.072,0 MB
Beschikbaar fysiek geheugen voor Lightroom: 131.072,0 MB
Fysiek geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 1.626,1 MB (1,2%)
Virtueel geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 40.269,6 MB
Cachegeheugengrootte: 52,3MB
Interne Camera Raw-versie: 15.3 [ 1451 ]
Maximumaantal door Camera Raw gebruikte threads: 5
Camera Raw SIMD-optimalisatie: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Virtueel geheugen Camera Raw: 750MB / 65535MB (1%)
Fysiek geheugen Camera Raw: 752MB / 131072MB (0%)
Standaardgrootte voorvertoning: 2560 pixels
Schermen: 1) 2560x1600

GPU-info:
Metal: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
Beginstatus: GPU voor exporteren wordt standaard ondersteund
Gebruikersvoorkeur: GPU voor exporteren ingeschakeld

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since i have a box i could increase the airflow etc and i think it is not only a temperature problem - even at 5º celcius lower the GPU crashes after some images. (radeon vega 64 from 63ºcelcius brought back to 58ºcelcius)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update 2 - since i can run also windows 10 on the same hardware i can say it does not crash there, but is about 50% slower...

i installed a fresh windows 10 just this week and new drivers for the GPU

So it is also a question of not going for the max performance of the GPU...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just disconnected my Mac Pro, and vacuumed all of the fans and internal components. I ran Denoise AI and this time it worked. My problem was absolutely dust on the fan intakes or exhaust. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!!  Windows 11 has crashed twice now while using the new de noise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked that the ventilation ports and fans on your computer are dust free?

Have you checked that your GPU driver is up to date?

Please, also share a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be obtained from the LrC Help > System Info menu as shown in attached screenshot.

system info.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes happens every time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Vaccuuming out the dust really makes a difference then adobe has a bigger problem - this issue is definitely code based. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Vaccuuming out the dust really makes a difference then adobe has a bigger problem - this issue is definitely code based. 

By @johnatg1

Dirt detection code sure.😂

At the same time, several users found this heat reduction step stopped the crashing. So maybe give it a try?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vacuuming the dust solved my problem, completely. Apparently AI is a whole new ballgame and really pushes the CPU and GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI Denoise doesn't touch my CPU at all. In fact, it is zero at times. It
just kills my GPU, and the system falls over.

My system is dust free, so that doesn't help me. For now, until Adobe gets a
grip on this, I'm not touching it again.

They are loath to even admit that there is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denoise uses the GPU; nothing new here.

Don't use it; that's fine.

Or get hardware (GPU) sufficient for the task.

Mine works consistently and very fast: 12 seconds for 24MP raws. Zero problems.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on a mac ( system 12.6 Monterey) if i put the GPU to OFF

it still uses the GPU and still crashes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not running AI denoise at anytime in the future on my Mac Pro 2010 because it has only 980 watts of power. It killed 2 PSUs already. When I said killed, it was dead as in blown a fuse (if there is one)

People with 1100 watts of PSU only shutdown and bootable. Make sure you have more than 1100 before running AI.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not running AI denoise at anytime in the future on my Mac Pro 2010 because it has only 980 watts of power. It killed 2 PSUs already. When I said killed, it was dead as in blown a fuse (if there is one)People with 1100 watts of PSU only shutdown and bootable. Make sure you have more than 1100 before running AI.Get Outlook for iOS<>
By @mannymadethis_com

My computer has a 600 watt power supply. I run AI Denoise without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although cleaning the cooling system helped in your case, I doubt it will fix the problem in all cases. These shutdowns seem to be a symptom of another root cause somewhere that needs to be addressed, because there are too many of us who run AI Denoise with no problem on much more modest hardware such as laptops with power supplies well below 100 watts. Hopefully Adobe is using all of this discussion as part of their research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines