• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Error Message: Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage (Windows)

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to release 12.0 I have had 2 problems. When launching Lightroom Classic immediately after opening Windows I sometimes get the following message.

PeterG1_0-1666465772407.png

If I click OK and try launching Lightroom again it opens OK.

After doing various edits on a number of images and moving to a new image Lightroom gets stuck "Loading" an image. I close Lightroom, but it won't reopen and Windows won't close and has to be crashed.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

If, after updating to Lightroom Classic 12.1 (released on 12.12.2022) and restarting your computer you are still experiencing this issue on a repeated basis, please start a new thread with complete information. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the catalogue to a different folder and it worked

--
Regards,

[image: Blog] <>

http://debisengupta.wordpress.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@desengADE thanks for sharing, would it be same if I just change the name of the folder? my previews file is 1.8 Terabytes, and creating a replica might create problems. do you mean you copy-pasted all the contents of the folder to a new folder or you did cut and paste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied and pasted. I generally create a new catalogue every year's photos
so my file size wasn't so large. You can try renaming the catalogue and
trying, don't think it will have any adverse effects.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i use lightroom with my computer backed up on a onedrive cloud for work, had problems with the same issue. The onedrive ended up unsyncing and re synicing, has me thinking this was a cause of my issue. Going through some touble shooting it turns out that the name of my .Ircat file was the route of the problems. Simply changing the name of the .Ircat file and reselecting my catalogue fixed the issue for me not sure how this will affect the long term but make sure to BACK UP often. Hope this can be figured out and fixed soon, I hope this can help someone with the same issue.

Happy Photography making,    Pat.

aaahhhhhhh.JPG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick Dent many thanks for sharing. I am desperate so I am willing to try. can you elaborate? for instance, whatwas the exact name before and after? and, you changed the name in the File Explorer "Without telling" lightroom and then just opened the new file name like nothing happened? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jose dr63163530 Hi, Yah i can elaborate a bit, first i found my catalogue in my file explorer, i had tried other things before like checking the directory (swiftly left that alone), i found the .ircat folder and made sure i had a back up just incase i messed anything up, when i tried to open lightroom it tried to make a lock file, this helped me identify the specific Catalog file, i literally clicked on my lightroom catalog-v12.lrcat (the name before) file and added the date to the. For some reason this worked, im not sure why or how. Hope this has helped, hope you can save your catalog 

lr 2.JPG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pixelmask storage fault has now made lightroom inoperable, is there a fix or do I have to go to another program most possibly pernamantly  why do we pay for things that dont work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem and error messages. I've just updated to Lightroom Classic 12.1 and it cannot be opened. Trying to run a photography business. This is an absolute joke. And like you say, we are still paying for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom fails to open due to " failed to initialise Camera Raw" I'm using the latest updates for all on my MacBook M2 Max 16 inch. Thinking of leaving Adobe as they are failing to fix the issue and this has gone on for months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@RossColledge, your screenshot shows you are running "Lightroom", though your post has ended up in a thread about "Lightroom Classic" concerning a different error message (thank Adobe for the confusing product naming).  The Lightroom [sic] error "Failed to initialize Camera Raw" is discussed in this thread in the Lightroom ecosystem forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-bugs/p-lightroom-error-failed-to-init... 

Though there are solutions for other errors provided there, I don't see any for this particular error message. But read for yourself more carefully...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines