• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Error Message: Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage (Windows)

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to release 12.0 I have had 2 problems. When launching Lightroom Classic immediately after opening Windows I sometimes get the following message.

PeterG1_0-1666465772407.png

If I click OK and try launching Lightroom again it opens OK.

After doing various edits on a number of images and moving to a new image Lightroom gets stuck "Loading" an image. I close Lightroom, but it won't reopen and Windows won't close and has to be crashed.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

If, after updating to Lightroom Classic 12.1 (released on 12.12.2022) and restarting your computer you are still experiencing this issue on a repeated basis, please start a new thread with complete information. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just experiencing the same problem:

Kevin240011196smo_2-1666483074871.png

WTF!! Maybe the new update? Hopefully, there will be a fix soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Catalog was corrupted by the latest 12.0 update. I had to recover with a backup. All works well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-10-23 224336.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Customers (and Mac pre-Ventura Customers):
In the event of this failure, relaunching the application (Lightroom Classic) will rebuild the database - however, you many need to update existing AI Masks on previously edited images. 

If you are a Mac customer and using a beta or the final release of Ventura see this thread instead: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But as mentioned this is not a one-off problem, it happens regularly when I open Lightroom, relaunching Lightroom results in it opening OK, until I close Windows and reopen it. Are you suggesting that I need to update all images where an AI mask has been applied. Firstly that is a lot of images, secondly how do I find them as I can't see a filter that would enable them to be found and thirdly what sort of update are you suggesting, do I need to alter parameters of every AI mask I have ever applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From engineering:

This happens if there is an instance of LrC still running in the background. Mostly, due to improper exit. Can we ask the user to check for LrC under background processes in Task Manager? If it is running in the background, user might want to end it before opening LrC again.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per my original posting this happens immediately after launching Windows so no instance of Lightroom will be running, I have double checked this with Task Manager. Also when I click OK and then try and open Lightroom a second time it opens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

relauching the application doesnt seem to be working. I've tried it multiple times and it just doesnt seem to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, too. So, the latest update was not fully tested (again).

$)*@#&$_*&$*(@&#$)

Please do better Adobe & Apple, thank you. I am unable to process photos now until I figure out how to unwind either the OS upgrade or the LR upgrade. Grrrrr.

BTW: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-be... 

For *GODS'* *SAKE*, Adobe: send an email to your customers!!! I do not continually read bulletins on your web site. I _will_ read warning emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!!!! I cannot open a catalog of an edit my editor did for me ever since the update. Does anyone know how can this be solved? 

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 11.14.46 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and have not been able to find any solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another, earlier, posting (not solved) on this problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-error-message-failed-to-initialize-pixel-mask-storage/m-p/13288395 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a work around on this issue. I'll need to re-export the main catalog of the project (unedited one) again and then have the editor (if you guys have any) re-edit the photos again (unfortunately) and pass it back 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have se same problemScreenshot 2022-10-26 at 19.39.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow -- can't believe its three months and not fixed!  I loast access to all the processing on my external drive.  I imported to this catalog and worked on it for several days on location, and now, when I restarted the computer at home, I am unable to open this external drive.  A week of edits etc is lost even if I am able to re-import all my thousands of captures from the week again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The proposed solution wont work as I can't open LRC in the first place, no matter what I try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me now, and can´t do my job.
Why havn´t Adobe answered this issue more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just on a support chat with someone, who said they're working on it. Unlike other long term LRC issue, I think they will consider it important enough to fix quickly, at least. Plenty of Mac based photographers rely on LRC. For now I will be using Capture One. Lets hope I don't start prefering it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks for the information! 
My issue is that I worked on a hole bunch of images this morning and yesterday that has a deadline soon. And then I updated during lunch, and now I can´t do a thing.. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain! I always wait unitl i have nothing in the pipeline before I do system updates. I recommend that nect time! I know that wont help you now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I know, I usually do that.. but wasn´t really thinking before 🤯

Hope they fix it quick 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Même problème pour moi aussi je viens de faire la mise à jour Apple Ventura mais je vois que c'est un problème récurrent pour tout le monde. Je suis photographe professionnel aussi et je suis coincé pour travailler donc j'espère que ce sera résolu très rapidement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, and im getting the exact message aswell. 😕 Not easy when this is our job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just copy your .lrcat file from your external drive to your computer and open it with LR. You can continue at work untill Adobe fix this problem 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines