• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Importing duplicates from iPhone

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took about 800 pictures on my iPhone while on vacation last week and added about 600 of them to a new LR catalog. These were not in sequence - a few from day 1, some from day 3, day 4, etc... When I got home,. I connected the phone to my Macbook, went to the catalog, and chose Import/Don't import suspected duplcaites, thinking LR would just grab the final 200 not yet in the catalog. But no - it wanted to reimport all 800. I would just delete the catalog and start over except that I already started work on a bunch of them and don't want to lose my edits. Any idea how to force LR to do its job properly? LR 13.0.1 on a MacBook Pro running Venture 13.5.2.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to prove the point, here is a screenshot of the folder showing the dups that were creaetd when I tried adding just a few of the files that were already in the catalog. LR seems oblivious to this fact. diz dups.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom Classic 13.2, Canon 5D MK IV, on a Copy as DNG workflow, I cannot reproduce this. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, well, uhm, ya. It's a real thing - I showed the result -  so what am I supposed to do? And I never use Copy as DNG, so why did you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to update to 13.2 and confirm the behavior there. We don't accept bugs against former versions of the software.

Then, we need detailed, step-by-step instructions for reproducing. 

As for why I use Copy as DNG? You didn't specify, and I have been using Copy as DNG for over a decade - for every import.  

UPDATE: It also works fine here for a Copy workflow as well.

I would also recommend reading: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-do-i-post-in-discussions-or-bugs/idi-p/13691...

and

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 13.2 and get the same behavior. I explained fairly clearly what happens. What else can I say?

1. Opened 13.2 on MacBook Pro running MacOS 13.5.2

2. Connected iPhone iOS 17.3.1

3. Selected Import/COPY/NEW Photos

4. Enabled Don't import suspected duplicates.

Expected result - LR should show about 200 New images ,but instead it shows all 800, which includes 600 already in the catalog. When I try to import a few of these to see what happens, it creates a duplicate file with a new name in the folder (all explainied/shown above).  Now what? If you search for Duplicates in this forum you will find many people have had this issue for many years (as have I). Doesn't sound like anyone at Adobe wants to deal with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I'm using an iPhone, not a Canon, so not sure how relevant your experience is to my problem. Also, why does CC say I am up to date if I am on 13.0.1 and the current ver is 13.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again:
"Then, we 
need detailed, step-by-step instructions for reproducing. "

As for your CCD issue, I would recommend posting in https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/ct-p/ct-download-and-install?page=1&sort=latest_repl...  

Update: I am also not able to reproduce on iPhone 14 Pro Max on iOS version 17.2.1 

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 1.17.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK,  Adobe wins again. Just wasted two hours cleaning up the LR Duplicate bug. Gotta say that your initial comment  - "I can't reproduce it" (on a different build and camera and with a different workflow) with no followup or suggestions does not lead to a good customer experience. Seems like you are implying that the user is mistaken since <you> can't reproduce it. I've been a Lightroom user for over fifteen years and know what I'm doing. Moreover, I showed you pictures documenting the bug, which you just ignored. Typical corporate behavior - shrug off the user and hope they go away. Great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one wins here. If there is a bonafide bug, we want to know and react to it. Otherwise, why reply at all? 

Perhaps another user will come along and be able to replicate this failure and provide the missing pieces that will enable a bug to be written. 

Or you could contact Support at Adobe Customer Care and work one-on-one with an agent. 

In any case, there is insufficient evidence, at this time, to warrant a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked correctly on my Mac and LrC 13.2 importing by cable from Iphone.  

Imported from Iphone

Took 3 more photos

Reimported and ONLY 3 photos were imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but not really relevant to my experience here, for whatever reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is relevant to the fact that 2 others with Iphone and Mac can not reproduce your issue.  "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" has be flaky on and off for a long time so there may be an issue but until someone can duplicate on another installation it will not be acknowledged as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
"Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" has be flaky on and off for a long
time..."

So you acknowledge that it does not work consistently and you
don't call that a "bug?" What do you call it? Unless your engineers
consider "flakey" acceptable behavior, then it most definitely is a bug
(see below).

It is irrelevant that neither of 2 other people cannot duplicate my
experience. By any accepted evaluation method, a group of 2 is entirely
statistically irrelevant. What is relevant is that I have had the issue
using a proper workflow, which is clearly documented. And again, no
suggestions for troubleshooting from you - just argument after argument.
This thread is completely pointless at this stage. I'm out.

*A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, or fault in a computer program
that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result.*
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-definition-of-a-bug-or-software-bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "missing piece" are you referring to? I documented exactly what steps I took that led to the failure to detect duplcicates (and wasted two hours of my time seeking out, across six folders, all 600 of those duplicates). All the "pieces" are already there. It would be most helpful if you contacted Engineering to ask them under exactly what circumstances LR would ignore duplicates when the user follows the correct workflow. A Permissions issue? Something to do with the fact that I am importing to my main Mac HD, not the external RAID I normally use? There's nothing else to be added to this picture except for some trouble-shooting steps that you have yet to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the pictures are in Lightroom-mobile on the iPhone (or are they not?), why are you even trying to Import by connecting  the phone to Macbook?

If 'Sync' is turned on in LrC- all photos in Lightroom-mobile will automatically download to the local LrC catalog without needing to import 'phone > Macbook'.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If the pictures are in Lightroom-mobile on the iPhone". They are not.

"If 'Sync' is turned on in LrC-"  It is not.

"why are you even trying to Import by connecting  the phone to Macbook?"  Believe it or not, I actually know what I am doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  You obviously know your stuff. I hope you get an answer to the problem.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines