• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Local Adjustment (Masking) Sliders are affecting entire image

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i can't seem to make the new masking tool to work correct.

When i make an adjusment, by brush, auto select or any other tool the mask shows up in my image, red by default, and when i make a change in the Basic-panel, the adjustments will be applied over the whole image and not just the masked part.
Is this a bug or am i doing something nog correct?
Help please... 🙂

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

when i make a change in the Basic-panel

Wrong panel

watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Two possibilities I can think of:

1. You've inadvertently collapsed the local adjustment sliders and are using the Basic panel sliders

or

2. You are scrolling too far and using the Basic panel sliders by mistake

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 7.50.48 AM copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this input. 

I also could not work out how to affect just the masked area as my whole photo was effected. 

I tried previous responses in this thread to this common problem but it was your input that gave me a solution. 

so thankful there was a solution!!!!!! I was getting quite frustrated 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Rob, I reset the spinner triangle and all is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why when I apply a linear gradient and try to make changes tio it the entire image is effected???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one keeps coming up. The cause is that you are using the basic panel instead if the mask panel. Did you perhaps collsp the mask panel by clicking on that triangle, result would be that you see an amount slider instead if the full panel.

100F3F37-C888-4DD5-BFDB-D406442D983F.jpeg

.Above image shows the triangle I am refering to, and that the mask overlay is on (another user thought the mask overlay was turning the whole imge red) you can ignor thst last bit, image from earlier solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just my not being used to the new masking features in LRc (11, I think).  In short, the selecdtions work, so far as advertised in separatring out the items to be masked.  But, when I make an adjustment after a selection (e.g. sky), the entire imate is adjusted.  The mask seems to have no effect, even though the mask shows until I select a slider.  What am I missing.  Using Win10x64, on RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...meant "image"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might bre using the wrong panel, you might be using the basic panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, the new Masks feature has stopping peopelry.  When I selct a specifc mask choice or new mask th folowing happens:

1. The red mask overlay does not go away when a specific edit choice is selected and applied, ie. exposure, etc.

2. When an edit choice is adjusted, it makes a global edit and not the selected area only.

3. The regular Basics edit panel does not change to the dedicated one as it did when Masks is selcted, as if it was never slected.

4. I have reinstalled the program and it still not working properly.

Thank You,

Gregg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the global sliders rather than the mask sliders. Perhaps your mask sliders got collapsed. Click on the white triangle to expand them.

1 2021-11-16 11-45-43.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Johan, I had a feeling it might be soemthing simple like this.  I ws driving my self crazy last night.  I'll try it when I get home and let you know.

Gregg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it Johan, I really appreciate your help. I have about 500 images to edit and you saved me.

Gregg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the white triangle located? When I click the asterisk-styled mask icon on the menu, the correct masking panel appears. After making several adjustments, the masking options disappear when I try to access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the white triangle located? When I click the asterisk-styled mask icon on the menu, the correct masking panel appears. After making several adjustments, the masking options disappear when I try to access it.

By @roger barone

I recommend that you post your own brand new posting. Your issue might be very different, and the software has been upgraded since the above. When you create your post, please include some screen captures to help describe your issue. Please use the Inert Picture button in the menu to do that as opposed to the attachment button (some members refuse attachments). And include specifics about your rig, OS, OS version, LrC version, GPU, GPU driver version, RAM, CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i I hope someone can help, I am mid project and all of a sudden if I try to use my adjustment tools on a small area it affects the whole photo, the pin automatically goes to the corner and I cannot control where the adjustment tool is placed. if there are not edits to the pictures the adjsutment tool works fine, but if paste an edit it disappears, help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences fixes the problem. Same in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, which adjustment tools are you having problems with? Name them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually this means you are moving sliders in the wrong panel, probably the Basic Panel. In the screenshot below, notice the triangle circled in red , if you click that when the mask adjustment panel is shown, the result is the panel goes away, replaced with an amount slider. Then you accidentally started moving sliders in the Basic panel. Cluck on that triangle again to show the adjustment panel.

I have also circled the show overlay box (keyboard shortcut O) as to show the overlay (currently the default red overlay) some new users confuse the overlay with a edit. (I suspect this mask was a select sky)

/edit/ below screenshots using my own examples instead of modified sample from another member/

MaskingWrongPanel_1.png

MaskingWrongPanel2.png

MaskingWrongPanel3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'utilise Windows 10

Lorsque j'applique un masque sur ma photo (ciel, objet, dégradé...) les réglages de bases s'sppliquent sur toute la photo et non pas seulement sur le masque. Pourquoi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably accidentally moving sliders in the Basic Panel as opposed the the Masks adjustment panel. You might have clicked on the triangle upper right in that panel, thereby collapsing it and displaying an amount slider.

Or, you could be confusing the mask overlay with modifications.

In the screenshot below, a Mask has been selected, And the correct adjustment panel is visible.

MaskingWrongPanel_1.png

Now, note the triangle indicated in the screenshot below

MaskingWrongPanel2.png

If you click on it, the adjustment panel will disappear, replaced with an amount slider, and the Basic Panel will be where you thought the sliders for the mask were. As such, you could be making adjustments in the wrong panel. cluck that triangle again, to revert.

MaskingWrongPanel3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you are awesome. You saved my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select sky in the new Lightroom, release 11.1 on Win 10, my sliders still affect the whole picture.  I also have reset sliders automatically selected.  I select the masking icon in Lightroom, click the select sky option, my sky turns pink, when I start to adjust the sliders, like for Dehazing

1.  The pink does not go away

2.  The slider affects the whole picture.

It's almost as if I have nothing masked.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, I figured it out.  I didnt realize there are sliders  specific to the mask.  I had them closed.  So I was changing the main sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically this means you are moving sliders in the Basic panel instead of the Masking Adjustments panel. Most often the user has clicked on that triangle and as s result has collapsed the Masking Adjustment panel, showing instead a Amount slider. Click that triangle again.

Ahh, timing, I see I did not need to reply.

For other members, the following screenshot shows the issue, the triangle.

MaskingWrongPanel2.png

Resulting in

MaskingWrongPanel3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest LR update

Since latest update I am struggling with the new tools. If I select subject and change exposure for example the complete photo change. Invert, same problem. I can't highlight a spesific area and only that area is affected, what am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines