• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: MacOS 15 (Sequoia) beta: Lightroom Crashes when using mask tool

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I click on the mask icon it crashes. It's not related to the AI masks. If someone could help quickly I have photos I need to deliver to a client.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Hi everybody,

Thanks for reporting this.

macOS 15.0 "Sequoia" beta 2 introduced an issue that causes Lightroom to crash when certain features are used.  This is expected to be fixed in a future macOS 15.0 beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by giving all relevant details about your hardware, the version of MacOS and the version of Lightroom Classic. Without any of that, nobody can help you with a problem like this. It is simply too vague.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a quick (possible) fix, go to Preferences - Performance and disable the use of the GPU.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my bad I haven't done this before.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.24.11 PM.jpg

 Is there anything else I need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so macOS Sequoia Preview

LrC not supported at this time

As stated, in LrC /preferences/performance/ turn off the use of the GPU amd pray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a very bad idea to install beta MacOS software on a computer that is used for your work.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past few days, LrC is crashing when I attempt to create a mask, any mask.  I have not found a workaround.

I am using Version 13.3.1 Camera Raw 16.3.1 on a Mac Pro, Sequoia Beta 15.0

[Moved from 'bugs' to 'discussions' by moderator according to forum rules. You cannot file a bug report when running MacOS beta]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences - Performance and disable the use of the GPU. Does that help? BTW, this version of Lightroom Classic is not tested or supported on MacOS Sequoia beta.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the new blur feature, as soon as LR starts analyzing the app quits quietly.

It worked fine in Beta 1 of Sequoia.

I realize I am using a beta OS, but I thought I would report it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the built-in reporting mechanism in Sequoia to send the report to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good for other users here to know about problems with Mac OS betas, though of course Adobe won't provide any support and won't respond to reports here (though they may occasionally benefit from seeing them). 

A couple of others have reported that LR crash on the Mac OS 15 beta when clicking the Masking button, which by default runs an AI model to do People selection. The common theme among all three reports is that LR crashes when it tries to run AI models on Mac OS 15, which suggests bugs with the Mac graphics drivers or its AI library LR uses to run models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, disabling the use of GPU does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@edgariscoding: "Unfortunately, disabling the use of GPU does not work."

If this is indeed caused by running LR's AI commands, disabling the GPU won't have any effect, since Adobe inexplicably refuses to have the AI commands obey the setting of Preferences > Performance > Use GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography@Rick Spaulding -, please merge with this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-crashes-when-using-mask-tool/...

In both, LR on the Mac OS 15.0 (beta) is crashing when Masking is clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it crashes, and the macOS crash reporter appears, then you should submit that to Apple. Apple should forward those crash reports to the developer, which in this case would be Adobe.

If the Adobe crash reporter appears, then filling that out is more direct.

I’m only mentioning that because those are the recommended and most effective ways to report these kinds of bugs. And the other side that benefits you is, reporting crashes in a macOS beta directly through the Apple/Adobe crash reporter dialog boxes will reach the engineers more effectively than reporting in this user help forum, which is really only for users helping each other with non-beta versions.

If someone could help quickly I have photos I need to deliver to a client.

By @William33422874bv5e

That kind of help can never be guaranteed for beta software. Note that the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement that you agreed to before downloading the software specifically says (bold formatting is mine):

7. Precautions for the use of Pre-Release Software.…In addition, the Pre-Release Software may contain errors or inaccuracies that could cause failures, corruption or loss of data…The Pre-Release Software is not intended for use, and should not be used, in production or business-critical systems.

That’s usually in the Agreement no matter what company’s software you’re beta testing. (Edit: I also noticed they put that “don’t install this software on a production system” warning in the large type at the top of that page. They really mean it!)

Regardless of what the software companies say, professional studios themselves will typically not use beta software for paying work. If a job must go out right now, they will do it on reliable non-beta software. Pros will sometimes make an exception when beta software is very close to a final release, but that does not apply to macOS 15 Sequoia because the early public betas were only released this month following the initial announcement…many pro studios would consider that far too immature and early of a release to commit paying jobs to. Too risky. Finish the job in macOS 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta software is under NDA and not for production work. Go back and reinstall Sonoma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta software is under NDA and not for production work. Go back and reinstall Sonoma.

By @Lumigraphics

Public beta software is obviously not under NDA.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured the OP was using the developer release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured the OP was using the developer release.

By @Lumigraphics

That might be a good point, in my other replies I may have also made the mistake of assuming it was a public beta. A quick web search suggests that the public beta won’t be available until July.

If that is the case, then you would be right that the stricter non-disclosure requirements of the developer beta program would apply. If so, then it would be even more important to and report problems directly to Apple and not in a public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta software is under NDA

By @Lumigraphics

I read that part of the terms for the Apple Public Beta. What it says is (bold formatting mine):

5. Definition of Confidential Information. …Information that otherwise would be deemed Confidential Information but (a) is generally and legitimately available to the public through no fault or breach of Yours, (b) is generally made available to the public by Apple…will not be considered Confidential Information under this Agreement.

Given that macOS Sequoia is publicly announced as well as a large number of its features and changes (many explained in detail at WWDC sessions), it is not a violation of the NDA to say you’re using the public beta of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William33422874bv5e: "Whenever I click on the mask icon it crashes. It's not related to the AI masks."

It might be directly caused by AI masking. When you click the Masking button, by default LR starts running the People detection at the bottom of the panel, which involves AI models. You can prevent that (and perhaps avoid the crashes) by collapsing the People section. If LR doesn't stay open long enough for you to do that before it crashes, you could roll back to Mac OS 14.5, collapse the People section, reinstall Mac OS 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Lrc 13.4 on my MacBook Pro. Granted, it's running Sequoia Beta 15.0 (24A5280h), however, I haven't had this issue before. 

Regardless of which photo I open, everything else seems to work fine. As soon as I click on the mask icon, the box comes up asking which kind, momentarily, then the whole app crashes.

Screen Video:
https://we.tl/t-kTSgVrRQ7Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue on macOS 15 Sequoia developer beta 2. This was previously working fine on developer beta 1.

I understand that this is a beta OS, I'm not complaining about this crash and I'm not expecting Adobe to work on this.

I'm simply sharing my experience so that others are aware of the issue and so that Adobe can keep an eye on it if they'd like to. I'd assume Adobe developers are also internally testing Adobe applications on the next version of macOS so this information may help them, i can provide the crash data if needed.

I've also been submitting the problem report generated by macOS and i've reported this in the Apple feedback assistant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone dropping by with this same issue:

• Submit the Problem Report when the application crashes
    • As soon as the application crashes, a "Problem Report" window will pop up with a crash dump and should ask you if you'd like to submit the report. Send the report.
  • File a report using the Feedback Assistant
    • You can open the Feedback Assistant app direclty or in Lightroom Classic, click Help on the menu bar and click on Send Lightroom Classic Feedback to Apple
    • Choose 3rd Party Apps, Application Crash, Adobe Lightroom Classic
  • Leave a comment here
    • As macOS 15 is still in developer beta this crash is not really a bug in Lightroom Classic, thus we can't file a bug report with Adobe. In any case, use this community post to discuss this issue and possible workarounds. Adobe's engineers/devs may refer to this conversation if they decide to take action on this crash or when they prepare for a final release of macOS 15 Sequoia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines