• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1326 Replies 1326
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2024-05-22_20-18.png

will be nice if we can fill with AI trasnpoft white corners automatically

http://zavadskis.photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that would be an improvement. same with stitched panoramas, as mentioned in my post on page 4 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For an "early look" feature, I think it works quite well.

Sample-1.jpgSample-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to suppress a simple chimney emerging from a roof on the sky... It fills the selection with another chimney or artefacts.  When returning to heal or stamp impossible to move the replacement selection 😞

Seems able to suppress objects on more complex background (vegetation, brick wall).

Far from Photoshop feature... in addition would be nice to be able to make a prompt for helping correct replacement/suppression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M2A2  Are you also brushing out the chimney's shadow?  If you don't it will try to make something in the spot to cast the remnant shadow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Rikk's comment. See attached example of how I removed a chimney. Notice the shadows and that I've included some of the roof as well.

chimney.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice example!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I experience the same behavior. When selecting something to be removed, it removes the object, but shows a "ghost" of the removed object.

I also think i know why this has happened. I have made 2 masks around this area. If i turn those 2 off, the "ghosting" disappears. Those 2 masks change the color and brightness around this area. In some way the AI uses the wrong "original" data to remove this area.

Lightroom/iMac M3

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-05-22 om 15.37.25.pngScherm­afbeelding 2024-05-22 om 15.38.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@melkman  Make sure you are not using Select Sky AI prior to Generative Remove 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response! I'll make sure to first use Select Sky the next time! 

@Ian Lyons That does the job! I already wondered what that red dot meant 😉  After updating the masks, the "ghost image" disappeard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the preferred order: Denoise - Heal(Including Gen Remove)- Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits
If you deviate from that you may have to update some things as @Ian Lyons  demonstrates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed, this is still a weakness, that generative fill is not able to ignore e.g. masked sky AI or other AI presets :'-( 
Cause sometimes, you see "errors" in the picture only after adding AI presets... So, i still have to switch to Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow on from Rikk. Check for a red dot below the Mask button. If you see a red dot, open the mask and choose Update AI Masks. I've attached a screenshot that might help.

red dot mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work for me  - does anyone know how to solve this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Remove doesn't work. Every time I try to select something to remove, the loading bar stops at 100% and then nothing happens until after 5-10 minutes it tells me to check my internet connection (which is perfectly fine btw.)

Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-22 um 20.41.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you configured a Firewall or similar to block external access to computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just a standard macOS installation on my Mac mini.
I even tried it in Lightroom on my iPad (via WiFi) and iPhone (via Cellular to bypass my home network) - same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone know how to solve this problem

Screenshot 2024-05-22 190059.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have reported that restarting the computer clears the issue. If certainly worth checking..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to remove something sticking into an area of clear aky, GR seem to need to replace pixels with something/anything and doesn't do the obvious of just using the clear sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, but is not working for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesnt remove the object, it replaces it with a random but similar object. It does the same for the concrete blocks in lower right of picture

20240522-DJI_0031-1.jpg20240522-DJI_0031-1-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FORGOT TO SAY - its the white car in the distance I am removing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely that there is too tight a selection and leaving some shadow or reflection behind. 

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 2.31.46 PM.png

This was my first attempt on your image with the area shown for an example.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! yes, it appears I was going in too tight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines